Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a cap for my '05 CC LE short bed soon. I want the extra space as opposed to a tonneau. So I have a question for other CC short bed with cap owners. Did anybody document a change in your fuel economy after adding the cap? What did you find?

Thank you for any replies!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
the weight may slow you down, but youre getting ready to spend around 1K on a cap and your worried about mpg? You wont loose much if any(we'll see) and since Im gonna do this after I get the truck running again after the D, I say do want you want and need. If you want a comparison look at the rated MPG from a Pathfinder to a Frontier since basically thats what your doing

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm thinking about buying a cap for my '05 CC LE short bed soon. I want the extra space as opposed to a tonneau. So I have a question for other CC short bed with cap owners. Did anybody document a change in your fuel economy after adding the cap? What did you find?

Thank you for any replies!
I go months without my cap and with through all the different seasons. I don't notice any mileage difference but the truck does seem slower with it on.

16 - 18 mpg seems to be about where my truck always is no matter how i drive. It seems to be about average for the truck.

Brutal is right once you spend that kind of money on a mod or accessory let the MPG thought go if your adding weight it will have a adverse on the truck.
On the flip side even with the cap you still have a truck so its way better then a Pathfinder or Xterra.

I have a LEER XL100 if you look at my gallery you can see a couple pics. i think it levels out the truck nicely with the cap. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I saw an episode of Myth busters, and they said a pick up truck with the tail gate up has better gas milage then the tail gate down, tail gate off, or with a cap on. They also said that it was low singal diget % was the diffrence. But you can gain 90% better fuel milage by driving less then 5 feet a 18 wheeler!!!!

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
MythBusters used a toneau cover, not a cap.

It all comes down to drag. The more drag, the worst mpg. As long as your CAP is smooth and clean, you should be good to go.

I would guess that atmost it would affect it 1mpg but that is a small cost for the extra space you gain.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
I go months without my cap and with through all the different seasons. I don't notice any mileage difference but the truck does seem slower with it on.

16 - 18 mpg seems to be about where my truck always is no matter how i drive. It seems to be about average for the truck.

Brutal is right once you spend that kind of money on a mod or accessory let the MPG thought go if your adding weight it will have a adverse on the truck.
On the flip side even with the cap you still have a truck so its way better then a Pathfinder or Xterra.

I have a LEER XL100 if you look at my gallery you can see a couple pics. i think it levels out the truck nicely with the cap. Hope this helps.
See, and I like th elooks of your truck with the Leer, amd how the back side window and the Leer side window almost match the looks. My ultimate goal would be to get another factory roof rack and another set of rear legs and end caps and put on the Leer to match the cab rack.....ahh never ending is it

·
Registered
254 Posts
See, and I like th elooks of your truck with the Leer, amd how the back side window and the Leer side window almost match the looks.
i think Leer is the way to go they were one of the first that made a cap for the second gen and they have nice lines. you get what you pay for most of the time though Leer is big money.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, GATICA. Your truck looks great, the XL100 is what I'm thinking about buying.

The way I see it, if I loose even 1mpg with a cap, then I'm out approx. $135 a year extra. If I get a tonneau and pick up an extra 1mpg, then I'm ahead approx. $120 a year. Hey, a couple hundred bucks is a couple hundred bucks. Maybe it won't completely change my mind but it's worth considering in the buying process, who knows maybe I decide I'd rather have less space but get a tonneau that will actually pay for itself.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Thanks for the info, GATICA. Your truck looks great, the XL100 is what I'm thinking about buying.

The way I see it, if I loose even 1mpg with a cap, then I'm out approx. $135 a year extra. If I get a tonneau and pick up an extra 1mpg, then I'm ahead approx. $120 a year. Hey, a couple hundred bucks is a couple hundred bucks. Maybe it won't completely change my mind but it's worth considering in the buying process, who knows maybe I decide I'd rather have less space but get a tonneau that will actually pay for itself.
you wont pick up any mpg with a tonneau, I didnt. I have an Extang trifecta, and while I like it, it does limit what I can secure in an already small bed, hense my desire to go to a cap

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have a LEER XL100 if you look at my gallery you can see a couple pics.
You have the 100XQ (one piece side windows). Mine is the 100XL with the two piece side windows.

My ultimate goal would be to get another factory roof rack and another set of rear legs and end caps and put on the Leer to match the cab rack.....ahh never ending is it
I thought about this myself, but I don't think it will work using front feet from a Frontier. They curve down with the front of the roof. The Xterra however has flat feet I think would work.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
What about a soft topper? They are under $600 and easier to remove.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I didnt loose any MPGs with my cap. Weight was not an issue ever because the aluminum was super light, which also made it easy to remove and put on. No use for it now so im selling it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts