Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I'm looking at getting some rails/ sliders etc and I've seen some as low as in the 100's and some up in the 800s and anywhere in between. So I know you get what you pay for and I'm assuming the cheaper ones probably aren't any good. But while looking around I came across some and forgive me but I don't recall which brand it was but they had a very long explanation as to why theirs were better and that explanation mentioned something about bolt on vs welded and more or less said bolt on is no good. However, while I've got a friend that can weld for me, I liked the idea of being able to bolt up everything myself. So my question to you all is is there a huge difference between bolt on protection vs welded on and which do you prefer? Also, I've seen a few that were 100% bolt on and some that require you to drill some new holes... what's your take on that? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't have sliders myself, but I would say bolt on, no drill options are the best bet. You can remove them for repainting, if you sell the truck, anything like that. Obviously drilling into your frame isn't ideal in any circumstance. As far as protection goes, there shouldn't be much difference, as long as the extend out past the pinch welds, cuz otherwise they're kinda pointless. As far as cost differences go, the cheaper ones are just a chunk of square tube, whereas some of the pricier options will have tube steps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just ordered a set of Shrockworks because you can't go wrong with anything they build.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Built a set from a trail gear kit for a Tacoma. Welded myself. Only welded to the frame because I was too lazy to drill holes

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I was looking at Rocky Road, though I might give them a try

·
Registered
520 Posts
I don't believe you will go wrong with any of the pre-fab options out there. I went Hefty on mine cuz I loved their step plate as well as the rectangled lower/round outer tube design. I had gotten a bonus that yr that was exactly the price of the Hefties so I took it as a sign and ordered them. I like the bolt on cuz I can pull n paint with ease(this is happening soon btw). I don't recall any drilling, I have on several occasions used them as a jacking point w/o flex. I don't H/C offroad so I cant attest to their rubability. My dream was to hopefully eliminate the sandblasting of my Fr lower bed corners but the rock chips are still coming. Oh well they look sick! As a side note, the Trail Gears would have been hung on it using Hefties bolt on mounting points had that bonus check not hit the bank. The company bonus program ended that year too... Yay Corporate America!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had my Hefty sliders swung in to place in under a half hour.
I would agree, 22 min for first and 8 minutes for the 2nd.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I love my white knuckle sliders. They are extremely well made and very tough. Shrokworks makes great stuff too though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool so the bolt on ones hold up just fine then I take it? I wasn't sure because something I read somewhere made it seem like they can't take a beating without coming loose or worse, ripping the bolts out of the holes. It sounds though like you guys are all pretty happy with yours. It's probably the route I'll go.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, I bolted mine in place using the existing frame holes then welded around the brackets and the bolt holes. The seems to have a pretty good mounting system but I'm not sure how hard you could beat on them. They do have bolts that go through the bottom of the frame rail in addition to the side which I think will make it quite a bit stronger than the ones that just go through the sides. I decided to just weld mine to be safe. Although now I am considering a 2" body lift which may make them look stupid...

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
Cool so the bolt on ones hold up just fine then I take it? I wasn't sure because something I read somewhere made it seem like they can't take a beating without coming loose or worse, ripping the bolts out of the holes. It sounds though like you guys are all pretty happy with yours. It's probably the route I'll go.
Mine have three mounts, each has at least 2 bolts that bolt to or through the frame. I have a feeling that those who never went back to check the bolts for tightness soon after installing are the ones who claim things came loose or ripped out.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I have a feeling that those who never went back to check the bolts for tightness soon after installing are the ones who claim things came loose or ripped out.
^^^THIS^^^

I have the White Knuckle sliders. After the first off road run, I got under the truck to check the hardware and found a couple broken washers that had caused 1 bolt on each side come loose. To White Knuckles credit, after I informed them of this issue, they changed the supplied hardware to higher grade stuff that eliminated the problem. For the large bolts that pass through the frame,
White Knuckle provides backing plates to reinforce the frame at those mounting points. While our frames are boxed structures, the thickness of the rails allows them to flex. Bolting them on with backing plates helps to create a more rigid attachment point.

I check all the hardware on my sliders and skids after every run... the last thing I want to experience is to have a skid or slider dig into the ground!

As others have said, bolting them on allows you to remove and refinish them.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
@BCBrian thanks for the heads up! im looking into the white knuckle sliders myself

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome. I figured checking them each run was a good idea as well. I like the idea of being able to reprint them as needed too. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
One other advantage to the White Knuckle sliders is their design. The 'bump out' that they have helps push the vehicle off of rocks that could damage the body work. As a bonus, it also works pretty well as a step to access anything stored on the roof.

I highly recommend that anyone buying sliders also invest in the option for DOM tubing as it provides better strength and will resist denting and bending better than mild steel or HREW tubing.

·
Registered
2014 Pro4x m205 ARB etc...
51 Posts
I have the Rocky Road super sliders on my '14 pro4x. I have beat on them a good bit and used them as a lift point. I personally prefer the mounting of these versus frame mount. I had shrocks on my first gen frontier and they were great as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
^^^THIS^^^

I have the White Knuckle sliders. After the first off road run, I got under the truck to check the hardware and found a couple broken washers that had caused 1 bolt on each side come loose. To White Knuckles credit, after I informed them of this issue, they changed the supplied hardware to higher grade stuff that eliminated the problem. For the large bolts that pass through the frame,
White Knuckle provides backing plates to reinforce the frame at those mounting points. While our frames are boxed structures, the thickness of the rails allows them to flex. Bolting them on with backing plates helps to create a more rigid attachment point.

I check all the hardware on my sliders and skids after every run... the last thing I want to experience is to have a skid or slider dig into the ground!

As others have said, bolting them on allows you to remove and refinish them.
I put my White Knuckles on in February, and all the washers/lock washers are grade 8.

As for the weld on vs bolt on discussion. The bolt on/frame drilling didn't bother me one bit. These things are rock solid. I also have a buddy with a Tacoma with bolted on sliders, and he beats the **** out of those things, no issues. Bolting on can definitely handle any stress a Frontier will put on them.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
One other advantage to the White Knuckle sliders is their design. The 'bump out' that they have helps push the vehicle off of rocks that could damage the body work. As a bonus, it also works pretty well as a step to access anything stored on the roof.

I highly recommend that anyone buying sliders also invest in the option for DOM tubing as it provides better strength and will resist denting and bending better than mild steel or HREW tubing.
DOM is mild steel.
HREW is mild steel.I agree DOM is stronger and chrome moly is the best.
Chrome moly and DOM is required for roll cages. HREW is not allowed and is way cheaper.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts