Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whwn i bought my truck it has 12,xxx mi on it , The guy before me used mobil1 for the first 3 changes. I noticed that the dealer put back in regular oil after running full syn for it first 12,000 miles. IS that bad for engine? i just bought mobil one today and a new filter to switch back. of should i just run the next 3,000 mi then change back to mobil 1?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Run it the 3500 miles, then change it to Mobil. It won't harm a thing. In fact, if you plan on only running 3500 miles between changes, don't waste your money on synthetic oil at all.

·
Registered
570 Posts
In fact, if you plan on only running 3500 miles between changes, don't waste your money on synthetic oil at all.
Good point. I use synthetic and stretch the changes to 5k miles. That's not asking much of the oil or the filter, but it's a more convenient change interval for me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Good point. I use synthetic and stretch the changes to 5k miles. That's not asking much of the oil or the filter, but it's a more convenient change interval for me.
Same here. There is no harm done switching from synth. to dino oil or vice versa as long as you change it at healthy intervals. In fact, I bought Mobil Clean 5,000 last time instead of Mobil 1 by mistake so I just used it.

Hell, my dad has gone about 10,000 miles on Mobil 1 in my mom's Accord with no negative effects. It won't break down that fast under normal use.

A lot of new cars have sensors that tell you when the oil needs to be changed, but some customers still insist on having it done every 3,000 or 5,000 miles. They are just wasting their money! I heard from one tech that he happily drains their used oil, saves it, and uses it in his own car!!! :laugh:

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can surely go 5k on Mobil1, and to answer your question, there is no harm on boing back and forth from syn to dino.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
A lot of new cars have sensors that tell you when the oil needs to be changed, but some customers still insist on having it done every 3,000 or 5,000 miles. They are just wasting their money! I heard from one tech that he happily drains their used oil, saves it, and uses it in his own car!!! :laugh:
friend of mine bought a BMW like this. he called the dealer to arrange the oil change and the service adviser asked for an ID number or his name, some form of ID and the adviser looked it up and said nope, you dont need a change yet. about 4k miles later his onstar type thing beeped and a woman asked if my friend or his wife were in the car. he said yes and she proceeded to tell him that his car had just sent BWM a signal that it was time to change the oil and she was calling to set up the appointment. he said it freaked him out. think he said he was at 13 or 14k miles when it happened.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I agree with D189379. Change your oil and your stealership ASAP as they both suck. :) You should be easily able to go 7500 miles on M1 between changes. If in doubt send off a sample to have it checked. I'm not aware of anyone having problems.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
I agree with D189379. Change your oil and your stealership ASAP as they both suck. :) You should be easily able to go 7500 miles on M1 between changes. If in doubt send off a sample to have it checked. I'm not aware of anyone having problems.
slow up there man. sounds to me like the dealership changed the oil BEFORE the OP bought the truck. why would that make a dealership suck? thats SOP for most. also, he doesnt need to change the oil ASAP. he will be just fine to run it out to the 3k mark then change it.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
slow up there man. sounds to me like the dealership changed the oil BEFORE the OP bought the truck. why would that make a dealership suck? thats SOP for most. also, he doesnt need to change the oil ASAP. he will be just fine to run it out to the 3k mark then change it.
What he said!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Are Walmart filters any good or just stick with name brands?

·
Registered
104 Posts
On my motorcycle I have noticed that after switching to synthetic oil it tends to run a bit cooler and have smoother shifts, on my bike the transmission and engine share their oil. As far as going back and forth between the two, its fine. You can mix them in a pinch if you have to even. That was part of the deal when they first came on the market, they had to be mixable in order to gain ase approval

1 - 14 of 14 Posts