Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was reading my owner's manual for my 05 Frontier I noticed the Canadian model is equiped with daytime running lights.. This option would save my on my auto insurance. Can this be activated on the trucks sold in the US? If so, what does it take? My insurance Agent said sometimes all it takes is adding a fuse to the right place on the fuse box, or maybe the dealership can activate the feature. Has anyone done this? Thanks...

·
Registered
62 Posts
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
As I was reading my owner's manual for my 05 Frontier I noticed the Canadian model is equiped with daytime running lights.. This option would save my on my auto insurance. Can this be activated on the trucks sold in the US? If so, what does it take? My insurance Agent said sometimes all it takes is adding a fuse to the right place on the fuse box, or maybe the dealership can activate the feature. Has anyone done this? Thanks...
Should be rather easy... if they don't make a relay or fuse. All that has to be done is change the power source from a switched one to a keyed source. then they would come on as soon as your key was turned.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just a hint of caution though.....I tried that on my Frontier and it didn't get me the discount. Because it was a DIY daytime running light setup, the insurance company would not honor it and give me the applicable discount. I think it would have to be done with OEM parts by a "professional" to qualify you. Just be sure to check with the insurance company before you get your hopes up. Hope it works for ya!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm hoping the Nissan Dealership may have a kit they can install to convert it. I have yet to ask them. I had it done on a Ford Escape we owned a few years ago, and that qualified with our Insurance Company, so if the dealer sells the kit, I should be okay!

What did you do to do it yourself?

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i remember someone that had a 1st gen US spec frontier and moved to canada and installed drl's... unfortunately, i don't remember their name.

·
Super Moderator
10,435 Posts
In dollars how big is the potential discount? Probably won't be worth the labor rate versus the savings.

Clint

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I personally wish it was standard on all frontiers!!! Regardless of the ins savings it does help poeple see you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had DRL's installed on my 09 to bring it into Canada. The nissan dealer I bought the truck off added a relay to the parking lights as our codes requires 2 forward facing lights to be on with the ignition. It cost me 125 or 150 to have them do it. It works but a slight bug in that if I leave my lights on and turn the truck off it causes a code to be thrown. The canadain dealer won't fix it under warranty because it was added to the truck. The U.S dealer won't fix it because they say they did nothing wrong. To fix it properly and run the drl's throught the head lights the canadain dealer wanted to charge me 400-500. So i think that would out weight any insurance offset.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I personally wish it was standard on all frontiers!!! Regardless of the ins savings it does help poeple see you.
just turn your headlights on when you start the truck.

I prefer not having them (DRL) as my headlight pass a neighbour's bedroom window when I'm leaving. I usually don't turn on my lights till I'm on the road.

·
Super Moderator
10,435 Posts
As a motorcycle rider they make bikes stand out less and thus more dangerous to be on one.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
10,435 Posts
I find them annoying to look at and if someone is that lost in a daze they won't see you anyway as you just blend in with all the others on the road.
It's a false sense of security most likely thought of by a do gooder tree hugger.

Clint

1 - 13 of 13 Posts