Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Recently i bought a 2004 Supercharged Crew and i loved it. Owned it for about 2-3 months until a truck ran me off the road and totaled it. Now i am looking at buying another one. I really Like the second Gens but i am well aware of the trans/coolant contamination problem. I read it was only the 2005-2010 years that were affected. Is this true? Also would you take a chance on a lower mile 2007 for a good price and then just perform the bypass and flush fluids? Or avoid those years all together. I really want some help from you guys. I really like these trucks and plan to own it well into the 200k mile mark and i work on all my own vehicles. What are your suggestions? Thanks again!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Get everything inspected before you purchase it. You did your research on the known issues already. I would go for it if the price was right.

·
Super Moderator
10,416 Posts
Secondary chains, not the primary one.
Don't bother with the bypass, buy a good quality radiator and swap what's in there.
If the trans is damaged, it rides like you're on a washboard, its unmistakable.
Give it a thorough examination and look for signs of past issues.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Borg-Warner made the secondary timing chains on the North American VQ40DE engines. As the dies that stamped the links would wear, they created links with sharp edges, which created chains that would cut through the plastic tensioner faces and cause a whining noise while it was happening. When or if the issue happens varies because it depends on the amount of wear on the die when the chain links were stamped. It can occur below 50,000 miles or over 100,000 miles or not at all. It affected years 2005-2010, which is also the range for those that had the potential for the radiator cooler failure. Fuel sending units were another common problem during those years. If the 2007 had a good history report and appears to be well-maintained and in good shape, I wouldn't hesitate in buying one if the price was right. If it has the original radiator, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it. If it has the "whine," then expect an expensive repair bill to replace the chains if you should choose to buy it...and consider it into the purchase price of the vehicle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is great info guys thanks. Im looking at a 2007 white LE with 68K on it. Looks pretty clean and well maintained. Dont have the report for it. Its at a reputable dealer for $14,500. I will add the link. So Basically if i dont have the strawberry shake in the radiator i should be ok for now? Also make sure there is no whining, got it. If / when the chains need to be replaced is it a job that very good driveway mechanic can do in the driveway? Ive done motor swaps and swapped clutches and radiators a bunch of times so i do know my way around a wrench. Anyway, below is the link to the truck, what do you guys think?
Used 2007 Nissan Frontier Wayne | VIN: 1N6AD07WX7C401340

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree! A radiator swap is easy. Is there a certain brand that is tried and true for these trucks? Also, whats everyone's thoughts on the price regarding miles, year, condition?

·
Registered
353 Posts
That is a very clean one. I think the price is about right from a dealer, if not, a little high. See if you can negotiate a little though. Have you checked it out in person yet?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KBB says that truck in great condition is $11,500 - 12,000. I havent seen it in person yet, trying to in the next couple days. Im hoping i can get them down a bit. I wish it didnt have the beige interior but it is what it is.

·
Super Moderator
10,416 Posts
Look at online trade in prices and the dealer paid even less for it. Take the vin# to Nissan service and find out it's service history details.
My last Frontier was a 2010 long bed crew cab SE with 120,000 miles in beautiful condition and got $10,000 for it so they will make a bundle at full price for that one. Bet they paid $7-8k for it.
No you don't want to open the engine in the driveway unless you are 100% comfortable go into into it.
My 2007 Pathfinder had both the trans and timing chain problems. The truck you're looking at may have too.

Clint

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Clint. I looked up the whole process and it doesnt look terribly difficult just very time consuming. Im just curious what the odds are that i will have the issues. I will do the radiator either way. but the timing thing is annoying. I really like these trucks but anything in the 05-10 range is making me skiddish. The problem is i cant really afford a 2010+ model. My question is basically if i get one from the bad years, am i pretty much garunteed to get the failures? or is it the roll of the dice?

·
Super Moderator
10,416 Posts
Thanks Clint. I looked up the whole process and it doesnt look terribly difficult just very time consuming. Im just curious what the odds are that i will have the issues. I will do the radiator either way. but the timing thing is annoying. I really like these trucks but anything in the 05-10 range is making me skiddish. The problem is i cant really afford a 2010+ model. My question is basically if i get one from the bad years, am i pretty much garunteed to get the failures? or is it the roll of the dice?
That's why I said go to nissan service with the vin and get the trucks service history. If those items were done it would be listed especially if under warranty.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Agreed that the price is high. But it does look clean. Something that I noticed looking at the ad.
-It still have the stock 7-pin socket in the stock location. means that it was not off -roaded very hard, as those are the first thing to bust.
-It doesn't have the switch panel next to the 4wd selector meaning it doesn't have heated seats and something else. I think heated seats only came with leather. Best reason to get the LE.
-what is that blue indicator light next to the cargo lamp switch.
-those 4 spoke alloys are the ugliest wheels nissan as ever used.
-That series of nissan stock stereo are terrible. Make sure the CD player works. Even if it is only a bargaining point. Is this really an LE, I thought they had more high end features. No steering wheel radio controls that came with the RF stereo. Again thought LEs had this.
-the passenger side air bag to upper glove box line looks straight. Thats good many have a kick or bow in it.

I would personally get a newer one from a private party.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks nissan4life! thats exactly what i wanted to hear. i am still interested in it but definitly not so in love with it to where i wont walk away.

·
Super Moderator
10,416 Posts
I didn't realize the truck is in Wayne, I just drove by there tonight.
Two times I commented on something you seem to ignore, go to a NISSAN dealer and get the answers you seek on the trucks history. I had a 2008 LE and it didn't have the knobs like that on the seat the off road model did, leather was an option, but I had power seats.
I also said on a 2010 I got $10,000 on a trade, granted it had 120,000 miles but it was in that condition on a long bed, mine was 3 years newer. They sold mine for $14,500 so they made $4500, a major home run. Your truck was bought for WAY under the price they are asking, more like half of the asking price.
Do as you wish, they have you hooked and even if you get $2000 off the price, they will still laugh at you after the sale AND your still going to sweat potential failures as you haven't done your due diligence.
One last thought, if you're not thrilled with the tan interior, why not keep looking for a truck that really does it for you?
Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the input Clint. Not sure why you said I was ignoring you, I'm just trying to gather information from all you guys that actually own the truck I'm looking into.

·
Super Moderator
10,416 Posts
I will answer this, Nissan can tell you if your potential purchase has already been corrected, we here don't have that knowledge nor does a Subaru dealer. Carfax will have some service dates but not what was done and often has incomplete or incorrect info.
It's great to have you join us here but not all the advice you may get here is based on facts, just opinions. My son looked at Jeeps before I went with him and he said wow, they treated you way differently than they did him. It's a giant game.
That dealer just wants your money and will bs you from sunrise to sunset to get it.
If his lips are moving, he is lying.
GOOD LUCK.

Clint

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I couldnt agree more Clint. Like i said, i havent said i was definitely going to get this one, its just local to me and looks like a clean piece so i am starting my homework. Going to give it a visual inspection and check the fluids today. If i still like it then i will go to nissan and get the report.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts