Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There aren't any 2nd Gen 4x4 Frontiers with the 4 cylinder are there? If that's true does anyone know how similar the older KA-engine 5-speeds are to the ones used behind the QR? The reason being I want an underdrive for my Frontier and it seems the easiest way to achieve this is to put the reduction gears from a transfer case behind my 5-speed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured as much. Does anyone know how the case and mainshaft of the KA and QR engine 5 speed manual transmissions compare? If I can change the main shaft and extension housing for ones from a KA engine 4x4 truck I could get what I want. I know, I'm a weird kid.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Seems like a "Gear Vendors" underdrive would be a simpler way to go.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like a "Gear Vendors" underdrive would be a simpler way to go.
There is no such thing. If the Gear Vendors unit were an underdrive I wouldn't have started this thread. Until there are 4.88 gears for the C200K an overdrive is useless to me.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That Gear Vendors bills their auxiliary direct/overdrive 2-speed transmission as an underdrive/overdrive is simply false advertising. You get direct and .78:1. Underdrive would be >1:1.

Yes, I still want a lower 1st gear. And I could use a slightly higher top gear. 4.88s and the GV OD would do, but at great expense. As I mentioned before the V6's 6-speed manual trans would be terrific, but the adoption costs are high.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Yeah,I just checked.Your first gear stays the same.The 4 banger is a nice economical truck but is just not made to do what you want it to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, so I got a 07 Pathfinder. My YD25 engine is busted. I'm looking at doing a qr25 or vq25/30/35 swap and still maintaining my 4wd. I believe I would have to keep my original transmission to do so as all the engines listed are gonna come out or FWD vehicles. Any ideas?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try starting your own thread if you really want more replies. If your YD25 packed it in you need to look at what other engine options were available and hunt down that engine and probably the gearbox. You'll have to be able to buy them cheap to come out ahead of fixing the YD and changing all the supporting equipment. VQ40DE was the only option for the United States. My understanding is that the VQ40DE has a different bolt pattern where the transmission attaches so there's no using a smaller version from a passenger car. Bottom line is that unless you can do most all the labor yourself and buy an engine very inexpensively you're really looking for a new truck.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The I-4 and V6 2nd gens use the same auto transmission so the block bolt pattern has to be identical.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The I-4 and V6 2nd gens use the same auto transmission so the block bolt pattern has to be identical.
Not true. These transmissions use a bolt-on bellhousing. Go look at some ebay listings and you can clearly see the block pattern is different. The 4 cylinder starter placement would put the starter in the right side cylinder bank of the V6. The guts of the trans are probably also different as the V6 makes a lot more torque. Just because they both had a 5 speed auto does not mean it's the same 5-speed auto.

Reactions: 2013Pro4X

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I see the bellhousing parting line now. But the tranny is the same,only diff is one additional plate in each clutch pack.Re05 is an Re05,svc manual is pretty clear on that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And do you see how massively different the bolt patterns are? 🤣

1 - 15 of 15 Posts