Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went ahead and did the transmission cooler bypass mod by cutting the lines at the bottom of the radiator and splicing them together onto a 5/16" stainless tube.

Shortly afterwards, the spring clip on the hose let go and I lost just about all of the tranny fluid. I was able to replace the stainless tube with a barbed tube, and used hose clamps on the barb.

Now my oil pressure gauge is reading higher than normal, although it did drop quite a bit once the trans fluid was back to normal.

Why would the trans/cooler mod have anything to do with my oil pressure gauge?

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
It shouldn't have anything to do with your oil pressure. There have been some issues with the oil pressure senders failing on 05-06 models which have caused the oil pressure gauge needle to peg on the high side. The early second gens had an actual oil pressure gauge and an oil pressure sensor, which was converted into a "dummy gauge" and an oil pressure switch on later years.

·
Super Moderator
10,436 Posts
It was converted to a dummy because owners were freaking when it actually worked, when cold it was higher, stabilized when warmed up but climbed with rpms as it should but Nissan gave up and caved into the uninformed. Sometimes it's just easier than having to deal with those owners.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
The oil pressure gauge in my 06 Pathy only moves when it is real cold at first start-up for about 30 seconds then it hardly moves off the middle. I think the reason Nissan converted to the dummy was that the oil pressure switch is a lot cheaper than the oil pressure sender. I know on the retail end, there is about a $50-60 difference between the two. Obviously, manufacturer cost is a lot less, but they are always doing what they can to save a buck, be it better for the consumer or not!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts