Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my truck to Nissan and they said that my pads were low. then I brought it to ntb a week later and they said that they were desperately low. so I need a few opinions. is it really necessary to get the rotors machined when putting new pads on?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
if your having a shop do the brakes why not let them do it,it will be better in the long run.I put pads on the front and didnt get them turned but I didnt let them wear down to the squeelers and no damage was done

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
If your rotors have any kind of grooves cut into them or are warped, you need to have them turned but it may be cheaper to just buy new ones from autozone/advanced/etc...

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
just get a set of autozone rotors cheeper most of the time then getting them turned, and if you have hand tools you can do a brake job in your driveway

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm with irongrave on this. If you take it somewhere and they just replace the pads and possibly turn the rotors, you're looking at a minimum of $100....some places might be cheap to turn, others might charge hefty. I'd get their advice, then do it yourself. It looks like a daunting task, but it's really not hard.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You don't need to machine the rotors when installing new brake pads.

However, if your rotors are glazed or slightly warped, or if the surface shows grooves at a height of more than 1mm, turning them is recommended. It will give your new pads a clean, even surface upon which to deposit a transfer film during break-in.

If I were you, I would check and see if the current rotors are within the specified thickness limits. If so, I would have them machined and reuse them, as the OEM rotors (assuming that's what you have) are cast of a higher-quality alloy than parts-store replacements, and are thus less likely to develop defects. If not, I would replace them with whatever fits my budget.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
If you do not have a problem I would not machine them. In fact modern brake rotors are designed to be replaced rather than machined. Their wear limits are close to nothing. If you do not have any braking chatter, adn they do not looked totally FUBARED. Then jsut throw on new pads and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Most auto parts stores in my area have the ability to machine disk and measure them to make sure they are within limits. Most of the time this is 10 to 15 bucks. New ones are usually around 30. Take them off and look at the edges, I am sure you will be able to tell if its too thin. If you have any groves have them turned or replaced as stated. A brake job is so easy I refuse to tell someone to take it somewhere!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.