Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to transport a canoe ONE TIME from my house to its new home. I dont plan to do this regularly...its only this one time.

its an 18' mohawk canoe that weights like 70lbs (maybe a lil more). i need to get this canoe off my property immediately and cant find a friend with an SUV to do it.

so I'm wondering what everything thinks? bad idea to even try it? ill be fine? do it, but go slow, with hazards on? or dont even attempt at all, im outta my mind?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use my roof rack for my two 14' long kyacks (50lbs each) long trips and every thing works great, just center it and tie it down well.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow. thats great news. my canoe definitely isn't over 100lbsi. my biggest concern was that the roof rack wasn't long enough and that the ends of the canoe would be bouncing up and down.

·
Super Moderator
11,535 Posts
Make sure to tie it front to back as well. Some people onlt tie things above from side to side. Ever see a bed tied to the roof on a car trying to lift up?
As long as it cant lift up in front it should be ok. A lower speed too will help.

Clint

·
Registered
87 Posts
Make sure to tie it front to back as well. Some people onlt tie things above from side to side. Ever see a bed tied to the roof on a car trying to lift up?
As long as it cant lift up in front it should be ok. A lower speed too will help.

Clint

I agree. Center the weight, tie off to both corners of the front and the back to keep it from twisting and you will be fine. You may want to look at some canoe pads available a most sporting goods stores to cushion and help grip the gunwales. canoe pads I have seen some that will fit on tube racks also.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I agree. Center the weight, tie off to both corners of the front and the back to keep it from twisting and you will be fine. You may want to look at some canoe pads available a most sporting goods stores to cushion and help grip the gunwales. canoe pads I have seen some that will fit on tube racks also.
I know it's not the right season to be shopping for swimming pool gear, but we use those swimming noodles to pad our roofs and gliders. They work VERY well! All you have to do is cut it to fit where you want it and make a lengthwise cut to slide it over the rail of the rack.

Okay, so after searching the HG forum that I frequent a little deeper, this guy has come up with a better solution than cutting a straight groove lengthwise.

Check the 8th post down here: http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=12449&highlight=pool+noodle

·
Super Moderator
11,535 Posts
I know it's not the right season to be shopping for swimming pool gear, but we use those swimming noodles to pad our roofs and gliders. They work VERY well! All you have to do is cut it to fit where you want it and make a lengthwise cut to slide it over the rail of the rack.

Okay, so after searching the HG forum that I frequent a little deeper, this guy has come up with a better solution than cutting a straight groove lengthwise.

Check the 8th post down here: Rack Padding Question. - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding
Actually I was in Costco and all pool stuff including chlorine was out on the floor.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
11,535 Posts
I was at Home Depot yesterday and saw an a$$hat with an older Pathinder loading up his factory foof rack. You know the one with a 125 pound limit. He had 10 - 4X8 pieces of half inch sheetrock and 8 2X4's on there to and to top it off had twine holding it down and only went side to side twice with it.
The rack was actually bending under all that weight.
A fast launch or stop and some other poor car on the road will live with this dicks decision.

Clint

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I was at Home Depot yesterday and saw an a$$hat with an older Pathinder loading up his factory foof rack. You know the one with a 125 pound limit. He had 10 - 4X8 pieces of half inch sheetrock and 8 2X4's on there to and to top it off had twine holding it down and only went side to side twice with it.
The rack was actually bending under all that weight.
A fast launch or stop and some other poor car on the road will live with this dicks decision.

Clint
:shock: Is the guy out of his mind? Our trucks have hell with that kind of load so for it to be stacked on top of a Pathfinder roof rack is suicide. Idiots

I don't have a roof rack now but from dealing with them in the past just like everyone else is saying with a single canoe you should be just fine after strapping it down well.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the replies. im going to use the utilitrack to tie down the rear end and use the front tow hook for the front of the canoe. i think that should work well with 2 straps up top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts