Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2020 has it's push button start in a terrible place down near the gear selector. Has anyone seen or heard of a way to relocate to the round knock out where the key used to go up on the dash to the right of the steering column?

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
That is a weird place to put it... but it makes sense since it's just a 1 model year thing.

Did you try removing it to see if it will even fit?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Push button start should be an option and not forced upon us. I bought a new 2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition truck for $45,000. The truck was nice and had all available options as the top trim line for the Honda. At about the 10 month time frame I went out to the truck to go to work and it wouldn't start. The message on the dash was to hold the remote closer to the ignition button. Held it closer still wouldn't start. Touched it to the button, still wouldn't start. Went in the house and got the other remote and it started right up. Replaced the battery with one that I ordered online in the first remote and it started right up. I just happened to be at home when this happened and had access to the other remote. If I wouldn't have been home I would have been stranded. I think technology in the new automobiles may seem really cool at first but if it is a failure point, it is not something that I would pay for at any price. I traded my Ridgeline in on a new 2019 Frontier that still had the good old keyed ignition. I purchased the 4x4 SV CC with the value truck package and I love it. I will never buy another automobile with the push button start if I can possibly avoid it. I want reliability and my experience shows me that the push button start isn't reliable.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
I want reliability and my experience shows me that the push button start isn't reliable.
LOL What?

You're saying this based on your experience being... a dead remote battery on one single make/model vehicle?
That has nothing to do with "reliability" of push button remote systems. That's like saying a flashlight isn't reliable... because it has dead batteries in it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Push button start should be an option and not forced upon us. I bought a new 2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition truck for $45,000. The truck was nice and had all available options as the top trim line for the Honda. At about the 10 month time frame I went out to the truck to go to work and it wouldn't start. The message on the dash was to hold the remote closer to the ignition button. Held it closer still wouldn't start. Touched it to the button, still wouldn't start. Went in the house and got the other remote and it started right up. Replaced the battery with one that I ordered online in the first remote and it started right up. I just happened to be at home when this happened and had access to the other remote. If I wouldn't have been home I would have been stranded. I think technology in the new automobiles may seem really cool at first but if it is a failure point, it is not something that I would pay for at any price. I traded my Ridgeline in on a new 2019 Frontier that still had the good old keyed ignition. I purchased the 4x4 SV CC with the value truck package and I love it. I will never buy another automobile with the push button start if I can possibly avoid it. I want reliability and my experience shows me that the push button start isn't reliable.
I traded in a 2016 accord coupe (2.4 6mt- fun car) for a 2019 frontier (my 2nd frontier). They were know for starter problems and I had a few issues on cold starts with that car. However my 16’ oddysey has been ok so far (I think the components as the ridge line). I wish trucks would keep a keyed ignition

·
Registered
29 Posts
LOL What?

You're saying this based on your experience being... a dead remote battery on one single make/model vehicle?
That has nothing to do with "reliability" of push button remote systems. That's like saying a flashlight isn't reliable... because it has dead batteries in it.
It's not the fact that the remote battery went dead, It's the fact that the truck wouldn't start. Owners manual said it would start with dead remote battery. It wouldn't for me. Reliability equals not stranded in my book. If I wouldn't have lived it, I probably would be skeptical also. I did lose big money when I traded for the Nissan but so far I am much happier.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's not the fact that the remote battery went dead, It's the fact that the truck wouldn't start. Owners manual said it would start with dead remote battery. It wouldn't for me. Reliability equals not stranded in my book. If I wouldn't have lived it, I probably would be skeptical also. I did lose big money when I traded for the Nissan but so far I am much happier.
Frontier motor is so much more torque down low than the Honda 3.5L

·
Registered
29 Posts
Frontier motor is so much more torque down low than the Honda 3.5L
Before the Honda I would usually get a new Tacoma every couple of years but as I have gotten older it was getting hard for me to get up in the Tacoma. I was able to get in the Ridgeline and the dealership was convenient. The Nissan truck is as easy to get into as the Ridgeline and better than the Tacoma by far. It fits my body pretty good and that is a plus. That along with the keyed ignition made the choice easy for me to purchase. I liked it so good that I purchased a second Frontier to alternate back and forth. My wife seemed to find humor in it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Before the Honda I would usually get a new Tacoma every couple of years but as I have gotten older it was getting hard for me to get up in the Tacoma. I was able to get in the Ridgeline and the dealership was convenient. The Nissan truck is as easy to get into as the Ridgeline and better than the Tacoma by far. It fits my body pretty good and that is a plus. That along with the keyed ignition made the choice easy for me to purchase. I liked it so good that I purchased a second Frontier to alternate back and forth. My wife seemed to find humor in it.
They are great trucks with a comfortable seating position. Also easy to work on. Tacoma’s are also nice trucks my brother has an 07 with like 250k miles on it - all original

·
Registered
29 Posts
They are great trucks with a comfortable seating position. Also easy to work on. Tacoma’s are also nice trucks my brother has an 07 with like 250k miles on it - all original
My favorite Tacoma was 2001 crew cab. The Frontier crew cab actually reminds me of that truck in the way it feels and drives.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My favorite Tacoma was 2001 crew cab. The Frontier crew cab actually reminds me of that truck in the way it feels and drives.
Good point they are similar size trucks- but frontier has about 80 more ft/lb torque than the 1st gen v6 Tacoma

·
Registered
208 Posts
LOL What?

LOL What?

Suggestion: Keep a spare battery in the glove box. Lithium button cell batteries can be stored up to 10 years.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Se
Good point they are similar size trucks- but frontier has about 80 more ft/lb torque than the 1st gen v6 Tacoma
Seemed like the 01 Taco was a little bit lighter or maybe just a little stiffer suspension. The grill on the 01 taco was a nice feature also. Looked jeepish. :) The 19 Frontier does have more power but the fuel mileage on both of them is nothing to write home about. I really like them both.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Se

Seemed like the 01 Taco was a little bit lighter or maybe just a little stiffer suspension. The grill on the 01 taco was a nice feature also. Looked jeepish. :) The 19 Frontier does have more power but the fuel mileage on both of them is nothing to write home about. I really like them both.
Yep I bet the Tacoma is lighter. I had an 02 4 cylinder 5 speed 4wd about 15 years ago and it was a pretty light truck - miss that one

1 - 20 of 47 Posts