Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is the better filter? Nissan oem or Purolator one? Would an aftermarket filter cause an engine tick coming from the left side of the engine? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Which is the better filter? Nissan oem or Purolator one? Would an aftermarket filter cause an engine tick coming from the left side of the engine? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks everyone.
Amsoil filters. Remember, there are only 2 ways to quantify filters. How small the particulate matter they filter and how much of that particulate material they can store.

Amsoil wins on both. They filter down to 20 microns vs 25 or higher.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not sure about the Nissan but the old Purolator PureOnes in the yellowish/orange (whatever color that was) box had issues, the new ones in the blue box are OK, I use them with full synthetic motor oil as that is what they are for, changed once a year for about 5K miles. Just a street truck.

But if you do a lot of offroading or go over 10K miles before an oil change you probably want something better.
The filtering media in the PureOne is a synthetic blend, were as the Purolator Boss uses better materials including a fully synthetic media, also it is rated for 15K miles, but not worth the price for my needs.

Lots of youtube videos on them as Bar None has posted.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. Thanks. I use Mobile one with Purolator because I heard they were good filters with anti drai back valve.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Rich1968, just noticed your insignia, Semper Fi, I am an Ex Marine myself, not sure what the 1968 stands for, but I was in the Corps in the early 70s but never went to Vietnam, hope you missed that cluster #$%^.

·
Registered
611 Posts
There are lots of opinions on oil filters. I have yet to see good data, that is performance numbers, on why any one filter is better or worse than another. Lots of anecdotal evidence, but no real tests, other than people who cut them in half and claim they can evaluate filter performance on that basis. That's like saying you can cut an engine in half and determine whether it is good or not. If you have doubts, then go with the Nissan filter, it's not that expensive considering how often you need a new one. IMNSHO, the oil you use is far more important than the oil filter.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There are lots of opinions on oil filters. I have yet to see good data, that is performance numbers, on why any one filter is better or worse than another. Lots of anecdotal evidence, but no real tests, other than people who cut them in half and claim they can evaluate filter performance on that basis. That's like saying you can cut an engine in half and determine whether it is good or not. If you have doubts, then go with the Nissan filter, it's not that expensive considering how often you need a new one. IMNSHO, the oil you use is far more important than the oil filter.
Here's one.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Amsoil filters. Remember, there are only 2 ways to quantify filters. How small the particulate matter they filter and how much of that particulate material they can store.

Amsoil wins on both. They filter down to 20 microns vs 25 or higher.
There's a third criteria that's pretty important, that being how well they continue to flow as they're used until they reach end of life. A filter that flows well when it's new but hardly flows at all when it's approaching time for an oil change is problematic, as would be a filter whose flow is fairly heavily restricted well before end of life.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There's a third criteria that's pretty important, that being how well they continue to flow as they're used until they reach end of life. A filter that flows well when it's new but hardly flows at all when it's approaching time for an oil change is problematic, as would be a filter whose flow is fairly heavily restricted well before end of life.
That is the filter life. They are expected to provide full flow to their EOL. Amsoil, 15K severe/25K normal or 1 year. Some people do a 6mo regardless of mileage and add a quart of oil.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rich1968, just noticed your insignia, Semper Fi, I am an Ex Marine myself, not sure what the 1968 stands for, but I was in the Corps in the early 70s but never went to Vietnam, hope you missed that cluster #$%^.
Semper Fi brother! I was in the Corps in the late 80s. 1968 is the year I was born.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I've always used Nissan filters and when I couldn't get one of them, I use Purolator One filters. All of my Nissans have or had over 200,000 miles on them, some a lot more. My 2003 Frontier SVE does smoke at start-up, but to be fair, I purchased it with 184,000 miles on it and I'm the ninth owner, so I don't know what kind of service history it has as far as filters. The rest of them don't smoke and don't make unusual noises, so, I'm okay with using those. The same goes for the Supertech Full-synthetic 5W30 oil, which I've been using for over a decade and has served me well!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Just one comment on the video.. The filters don't come with the crush washer (11026-01M02). The parts guy at the dealer must have thrown that in there.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not sure about the Nissan but the old Purolator PureOnes in the yellowish/orange (whatever color that was) box had issues, the new ones in the blue box are OK,
This is news to me, I've not heard of failures of any Puro oil filters. I've been using their basic filter across several vehicles for well over 20 years. What documented failures have their been with either their basic or PureOne filters?

On another note, if one wants cleaner engine oil and less taxing of the oil filter performance over their service lives, replace your engine air filter more often. The air intake system is where environmental contaminants that eventually reach the oil are entering your engine. Vehicles I've owned have suggested air filter replacement schedules for standard service far beyond what I've been comfortable with- 36 months or 30,000 miles on the Frontier, "in dusty conditions more frequent maint. may be required". Over the years I've driven my everyday vehicle (now my Frontier) about 10-12000 miles per year, changing the oil and filter at the start and end of winter (Nov-April'ish). (I used to change it at 3-4000 mile cycles, now 5-6000 miles.) For probably 20 years I've been replacing the air filter annually at the spring oil change to remove that air filter that is now full of winter road salt dust. Purolator air filters have been my filter of choice. Replacing the air filter more often results in a cleaner, increased air flow. (Replace the cabin air filter at the same time as the engine air filter to keep that system clean and performing well.)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Drainback is very important as well, used Fram in the past until I had a issue with noisy startup due to top end drainback. Motorcraft is my favorite filter, but use Bosch as MC does not make a filter for our trucks.

·
Registered
893 Posts
No one will ever know if the oil filter is working properly, or if it's defective. Or if the 15,000 mile filter has been blocked for the last 8,000 miles.

A number of folks have indicated they have had "no problems" with their particular filter. How could they know?

Assume your filter is always defective, and change your oil accordingly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts