Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thead a while back regarding what I thought was valve/lifter noise on a cold startup. Well the truck continues to do it even when its 90 degrees out just not as loud.

I am thinking it may be something else. Maybe a belt tensioner, a pulley, or the fan making some sort of self adjustment?

Does this make any sense? Again, the rattle only lasts for maybe a second. Its an 09 v6 with 1200 miles.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Well, what grade of gas are you running and how close are you to sea-level? It may be some slight engine knock.

If you want to test that other pieces, you can manually turn the fan while the vehicle is off and see if it is rubbing on anything.

Past this simple check, I would just take it to the dealer and re-create the noise for them a couple of times so they understand what it is and have them track it down.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I would just take it to the dealer and re-create the noise for them a couple of times so they understand what it is and have them track it down.
Why are you messing around with this yourself? It's a brand new truck; put the monkey on Nissan's back!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be difficult to re-create the noise as the truck needs to sit overnight to cool off completely. That means I would need to leave it at the dealer which is a PITA. I figured I would see if it magically went away and if not I would mention it on my first oil change in a few thousand more miles.

Still wondering if the noise is normal or not.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Maybe it's valve train noise from them drying out a bit overnight while all the oil settles back down to the bottom of the motor. Then the noise goes away once the motor fires up and the oil pump gets a second to cycle some oil back up there. It depends how loud it is and how long it lasts. I have a little chatter when I start mine up after an overnighter but it only lasts about .5 to 1 second. I am pretty sure it's just a matter of getting the oil to cycle through the motor again and get fresh lube on all the moving parts.

Edit: I really didn't mean to ressurrect this. I did a search on tensioners and forgot I was looking at old threads. Doh!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts