Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well we tried the 500lb springs and the ride is fantastic and on the smooth it handles great.
However have a passenger or go near bumps and the shocks just bottem out . I just cant go near anything like off road . My from guard height is approx 900mm to the fender so its raised at least 1 inch over stock but the shocks body is just too freakin long .
Bottem line they aint going back in my truck any time soon. Great product and all that but the units I have arent right for my 4x2. I think they must be the extended units somehow.
Can someone tell me the length of a standard replacemtn rad and an extended rad so I can try to figure out whats going on.

Right hand side of the truck

top of shock showing amount of travel

bottom of shock showing how much adjuster is used

left side is the same so whats gone wrong ?

I only want to level the height of the front but even thats a pain with no camber adjustment ( no front camber pins or way of fitting them)

Can I just pull the shocks apart and machine some off the top of the shock body to shorten the actual body of the shock.

yes the gear is dirty cos I been playing racetrack all weekend lol
just for those who rag me out for it always looking so clean normally

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Looks like you just don't have them lifted enough. I know you said you have no way of putting cam bolts in, but how is this possible? Are your lower control arm mounting points not slotted for a cam bolt?

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
you may have lost the nitrogen charge in the left shock , you shouldnt bottom out cause you dont even have any pre-load on those

get the front tires off the ground and see if the UCA are hitting the coil bucket , if they are then yes you may have the wrong shocks if not then it sounds like a nitrogen issue

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
you may have lost the nitrogen charge in the left shock , you shouldnt bottom out cause you dont even have any pre-load on those

get the front tires off the ground and see if the UCA are hitting the coil bucket , if they are then yes you may have the wrong shocks if not then it sounds like a nitrogen issue
It's stuff like this and people like you that make this such a valuable site.
Probably for the thousandth time, but thought it should be said anyway.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,738 Posts
you shouldnt bottom out cause you dont even have any pre-load on those
isn't this backwards? if you have no preload, then it is easy to bottom out because the spring is not pushing the shock piston away from the cylinder. picture taking the spring right off - the shock will easily bottom out through its stroke. now put the spring on, crank it up a few inches and the shock can not bottom out

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
isn't this backwards? if you have no preload, then it is easy to bottom out because the spring is not pushing the shock piston away from the cylinder. picture taking the spring right off - the shock will easily bottom out through its stroke. now put the spring on, crank it up a few inches and the shock can not bottom out
Yea you're right... I was thinking the same thing when I read it. It def. needs more pre-load. 1" isn't much lift at all.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
dont mind me ive been working all weekend and cant think straight

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok ill try to answer 1 at a time lol
No slotted holes for camber pins and 4X4 shop here is telling me the 4x2 and 4x2 have different chassis or some crap. Still working on that myth.
My biggest issue is I dont want to lift much higher as I use the truck on a race track so wanna keep it semi level. Its only 1 inch up now as it was bottoming out on the shocks even rolling thru the driveway.
Is there any way to check the Nitrogen levels like say a tyre pressure guage on the valve?
The springs are 500lb and yes they will hold the truck up and yes I can wind them higher but then I get height issues .
When I installed them this last time the suspension was at full extension as in coil bucket contact almost on the left side and had to pull the right down a little if anything to fit on the right.
I initially installed the units with the adjusters wound up alot higher but then had to wind them down to get the ride height closer to where I wanted it .
No with the preload wont extra preload just mean more height?
Do the Radlos come with different length shock body or its all different valving etc .

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
could be the valving. could be wrong shock also. Dont modify it yourself. most like the valving. what did you order, lift coils or replacements?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only replacements and on the Radflo website they would be good for 0 to 3" of lift so well within spec.
they did ship with 700lb springs but Greg hooked me up when I was in LA last year with some 500lb springs
The shocks have all up only been used for about 500kms and spent most of their time in Oz on my shelf lol
Yes Im slack lol

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
yeah you got the wrong ones i think then
pretty sure the ones Greg did for Irongrave are different than the ones you have you should only have a 4" travel shock if you want stock height

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well I have found a possible way out.
I have found a company in Sydney (Snake racing) that does a camber kit for the 4x4. Slots the holes and weld on brackets etc.I can then install 1' blocks in the rear and adjust the front to suit giving maybe 40mm of lift all way round and it will have the ride i want and all the suspension will hopefully sit nicely .
They ( Snake Racing )told me that the 4x2 is different to the 4x4 but after ringing Nissan today am thinking they may be thinking bout the Spanish build vs the Thailand build.
According to Nissan the lower control arms in both 4x2 and 4x4 in the Spanish build D40 are the same part number.Cant see the chassis being different between 4x2 and 4x4 if the arms are the same.
I am just checking with an automotive engineer to see if the work will require an engineers report or not. Either way I will order the kits and get it installed so I can do a real alignment. I want the truck to have as close to 0 degrees of camber when sitting normally so that when it dives into corners it will go neg camber and make it turn in better.

Snake Racing Australia Nissan Navara D40

So just out of interest as I really dont want to try sending these shocks back to Greg if they are the wrong length.Can someone measure the lengths of a lifted shock vs a standard height shock.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok Rads are on the shelf again. Start to finish 90 minutes .
Update from Snake racing that makes sense.
They told me today that they will have the camber kit ready for the Spanish D40 in late March early April
That makes sense now with the trucks from Thailand being different .

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I already have a set of front spacers and rear shackles but I would much rather run the rads in from and blocks in the rear.
I am taking a different approach as to getting my suspension passed by an engineer so hopefully I can run the truck as I want.
One thing I have found is the fact the trucks factory springs have sagged some 40mm so its no wonder I cant go back to the factory heights lol

·
Registered
310 Posts
hey Aus, looked at th PRG site and there 2wd basic coilover package and it says it offers 1.5"-3" of lift and looking at your pics and theres, yours are definately set lower. The shock body and spring length look the same. Maybe a small increase in height on yours(0.5" or so) will be enough to stop it bottoming out but not enough to throw out your camber. just a thought.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Mat
well am actually in Canada at the moment and Greg is shipping me some new UCA on Monday so I will get them all engineered etc and install them so I can raise the truck up and still keep my allignment.
My other choice was slot the chassis and yeah not keen on that. I spoke to Glenn at Radflo and the shocks are the right length its just me haven to have the truck so low to keep the camber in check that caused the issues.
Once I get the new UCA installed we will be good to go and I will get the camber just right .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts