Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the symptoms of drive belt pulleys being out of alignment?

I have a belt on the alternator pulley that vibrates like crazy at idle, and from this produces an annoying humming sound that is heard loud and clear in the cab. I have a 04 4cyl 5spd king cab frontier.
To go along with that, my alternator belt is worn significantly on one edge. These belts were just replaced in February to fix this problem.
Dealer failed late last year to torque a bolt holding the alternator on and this bolt came out and the alternator still funtioned properly and did not loss tension, however it was hanging on by one bolt, and I believe that the weight of the alternator stressed the bracket causing it to bend slightly out of alignment.
Think that makes sense and/or is possible??

·
Registered
171 Posts
Makes good sense to me, the dealer should fix it FREE, tell them to use Lock-tite (Blue not Red) next time. Even worse, they may have stripped the threads and it may need tapped, try a new bolt first, it will pull the bracket back were it needs to be and everything should be fine after that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They will fix it for free if I can just show up one day when the idiot that says all belts vibrate isn't there. I guess when something is free in the auto world, they are always going to make it tough to have it fixed just like when you have to fix something yourself, it will be tough at times. Oh well...at least its free once they give in and fix it. I've always had bad luck with dealership service shops.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts