Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Snorkel last week while my buddy had a awesome order going for a 3" lift for his 04' Frontier, thought I would spend some money since he was. ha. then pulled the trigger on the Volant intake today. I just could not come up with a way to make the K&N intake that I have work with the snorkel. anyone want to buy the K&N intake? ha. you would need a new filter though, the one I have wore a marbel size hole in it over the past few weekends out with a loose bolt. PS: I hate water crossings, got the snorkel for clean, "cooler" air. I do a ton of back road driving eating dirt the whole way.

any hints or tips on the intake and snorkel set up?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
The snorkle shouldn't be too hard of an install, just make sure you measure a bunch and then drill the hole.

Now for making the intake/snorkle interface water tight is not going to be exactly easy. I have no clue what others have been using but there has to be something out there since the OEM box doesn't seal that well either.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
could just use some silicone around the seam where they meet up

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not super worried about totaly water tight, but just keeping the splash out will be fine with me. besides, if I thought it was water tight I might try something silly and regret it. but I will be sealing up the front "scoop" on the volant box to keep from injecting water into the box/filter.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much you want for the intake with no filter? And take some pictures of the snorkel install for us!

I dont know, 100$? they are like 270$ new minus filter (75$) minus wear and tear (100$). make an offer, glad to see it go to use.
I will for sure take some pics when I get the stuff, probably will not get the snorkel until next week, so may be a two stage install with intake this weekend, and snorkel next weekend.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Plugging up the snorkle inlet is a smart idea if you are going thru the water. You may also want to invest in a filter sock to help keep the big crap out of the filter. Also a dry filter will probably be easier to use in the long run. Then after all of that, don't forget to drill a drain hole in the bottom corner of the box so that whatever water does get in, has a place to go. I remember one of the CA guys (Nizmut I think) saying that he went thru a water area and had a pool in his Volant intake.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Plugging up the snorkle inlet is a smart idea if you are going thru the water. You may also want to invest in a filter sock to help keep the big crap out of the filter. Also a dry filter will probably be easier to use in the long run. Then after all of that, don't forget to drill a drain hole in the bottom corner of the box so that whatever water does get in, has a place to go. I remember one of the CA guys (Nizmut I think) saying that he went thru a water area and had a pool in his Volant intake.
Good thinking, Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Witch snorkel did you ordered?

As far as I know there is no adapter for the Volant intake to work with any snorkel.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts

As far as I know there is no adapter for the Volant intake to work with any snorkel.
I always thought the snorkle went from the inner fender thru the outer fender and that was it. I never knew there was a special adapter that went inside the engine bay that connected the snorkle to the OEM intake.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I got the Air Flow Snorkel, I did not really like the looks of the other one that runs on the outside of the fender for 12-16". Air Flow is just a little cleaner. I do not expect there to be an adapter to attach the snork to volant, I will probably spend half a day and a case of beer figureing it out. pictures to come....(I will drill the holes in my truck before the beer....)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Hey Dave, I use a plumbers plug for the bottom air scoop. Dose the Volants still come with scoop and rubber coupling for the bottom hole? Got one of these at the home depot.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nice! It looked like the whole was oblong in the pictures I saw. but if thats all it takes! sweet.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
yeah you'll have to take the air scoop off, but leave the rubber coupling and insert the plug, know what I mean. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
recieved the volant intake today. install took about 45-60minutes including horn relocation. I took several pictures along the way and will try and post tomorrow. I ended up getting enough slack out of the horn wires to mount it on the passenger side of the air box, next to the radiator. worked well and no too painfull. I need to stop off and get a plug for for the air scoop tomorrow. Just took it on a test drive and WOW what an improvement! really though, most of that probably came from the clean filter! ha. but a noticable low "grone" at low RPM's while going 45-65ish. Gunning it at a stop sign going hill I felt like the front wheels were about to bounce off the ground, untill the chirped their way loose! Snorkel is due to arrive tomorrow out out comes the hole saw! pictures to come.

I will PM the guy who wanted the K&N. I happen to have a perfect box for the thing, but dont be sad when you open up a Volant box and get a K&N. ha.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I cant remember Dave, dose the Volant and the stock airbox use the same oval shaped opening? The one that sits and draws air from the driver side fender. I installed a Volant so long ago I cant remmeber, but I do remembe a rubber gasket sandwiched between the fender and plastic Volant. Are you anticipatin the snorkle to line up with the Volant? what are your plans for keepin i twater tight? or have you figured to just wing it?

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the snorkel today when I got off work. ended up taking about 3 hours to install. lots of double checking but it all seemed to line up said and done. I will get all the pictures together with the volant and snorkel install here over the next few days for a quick how to. some notes:

1. I need to figure out a way to adapt the oval volant hole that sandwitches up against the drivers side fender to the round snorkal tube. right now there is probably a 2" half moon shape hole where the snorkal piping comes into through the fender. any thoughts?
2. some of the hardware and pipe that goes in the fender was not a very good fit and required some modifications. but all the parts were there, just not plug and play.
3. I have line x on my fenders and quarter panels, it seems just that 1/8" build up made a difference in the fit of the snorkel up against the body lines. I used some 1/2" closed cell foam tape and it closed off nicely. picture to come.
4. After running with just the volant for a day and taking the truck out tonight with the snorkel (plugged up the ram air hole in the bottom of the intake) there is a noticeable difference. for sure not as much air getting in. but then at highway speeds (55+) there does not seem to be a difference.
5. the snorkel and volant combo make a bad A%$ noise when under heavy acceleration! exspecialy when the window is down, you can really hear the engine sucking in the air!

I have been slammed at work this week trying to get bids together for project I am working on, so it may not be until this weekend by the time I get the pictures up. I will try tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sneak peak.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Looks good! I painted the clamp black so it blends in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts