Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a busy weekend. Rented a car hauler trailer from a local place (just installed the Redarc Pro Tow Elite trailer brake controller, Intake Manifold Spacer, and Hefty Fabworks aluminum skids [radiator and engine] the previous weekend along with oil change). Really like how the Redarc Pro Tow Elite performed with the trailer even though it was a bigger/heavier trailer than I wanted. Total weight of everything was close to 5.1k lbs, about half of that the trailer weight.

IMS really seemed to help as well, 6th gear was usable if not too steep an incline since a little over 2k rpms was the engine speed. Had brand new set of stock sized Kumho HT51 Crugens put on the day before, liked how the first set was and wanted same tire.... love that tire for highway duty and light high speed offroad/prerunner duty. The Hawk LTS brakes put out a lot of dust but worked great at helping to slow things down on the truck side of things.

Did 1,900 miles in less than 2 days to get the car and bring it back - left Friday at around 4pm and got back home just before 4am Sunday morning. Averaged about 17mpg empty trailer there and 15mpg loaded trailer with car back.

Had bought the car at the beginning of the month, finally able to pick it up this weekend.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, it was deal I couldn't pass up... sold my FR-S to get rid of debt and in wanting a second 'beater' car came across this MR2 for $2,500... excellent body with no rust and mantainance kept up on it.

·
Registered
Great truck
872 Posts
Those cars are awesome at the autocross. Two buddies ran them for a few years back when i ran e30 bmws. They always did well

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
What were your avg speeds when towing the empty & loaded trailer?

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Not towing & unloaded:
So, if you get 21-22mpg @85mph, what do you get @65mph?

(Typo?)

·
Registered
962 Posts
He must have one of those rare trucks that get better mileage the faster and heavier they are............................lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Not towing & unloaded:
So, if you get 21-22mpg @85mph, what do you get @65mph?

(Typo?)
No idea... 65mph is not something I could ever maintain any day of the week and it's a big waste of time for interstate traveling. Towing this car was the slowest I've gone on any long distance trip and locally I normally average almost the same mpg daily driving. Daily driving have a wide range of speeds, seeing 70-80mph on a few highway stretchs, 50-60mph sections for about half the time, and 30-45mph for rest of the time. No pure 60-65mph interstate/highway cruising.... cruising on highway means 80-85mph speeds.

In doing long distant trips its all about keeping momentum, minimum throttle input changes, reading traffic to never be forced in a situation to unecessarily slow down at all, and not touching brakes unless absolutely necessary to slow down fast for a good reason... manual transmission helps a lot on fuel with engine braking going downhill in mountainous terrain, that's were you really get the best fuel mileage potential.

My FR-S got 31-32mpg average pushing 90mph on interstate trips not using cruise control... it's all on right foot control (more precise pressure input to throttle than precise movement distance of pedal) and not losing the momentum you've build up/acquired...using the downhill sections to assit and give you the extra push to come back to the same energy level point at the top of the following uphill section... accelerate gently on the downhill and let off gently on the uphill to come back to the same energy level. And never getting caught by traffic... failing to read traffic is probably the worst thing for maximizing fuel mileage.

Frontier cruise control works very decently on normal interstate overpasses in flatter central timezone areas - tackling steeper slopes than that is best done manually where you can read the terrain and know what needs to be done so you aren't wasting fuel to go uphill.

I've pulled a much smaller and lighter trailer and got much worse fuel mileage at 12-13mpg average... aerodynamics of a big brick really hurts things. Open deck, flat bed trailer is as about as good a scenario as you'll get aero wise for pulling a trailer.... I put the trailer spare wheel/tire in the truck bed because it was really effecting things being mounted in the worst way possible, acting like an air brake, effectively making up quite a bit of the cross sectional area when mounted on the trailer.

Another thing to note is the tire I'm using... lighter than anything else you can get now, which is why I chose it initially. No riding with boat anchors on my Frontier to drag down it's fuel mileage. Unsprung weight and diameter matters very much on effect it has on vehicle... it's the reason I'm still on stock wheels - there are no aftermarket wheels I like which are lighter than stock, and if it's not lighter than stock I'm not going to get it as it gains no benefit other than looks.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I ask since my '15 is the same iteration, though shod w/ Michelin Defenders and an above cab ARE bedshell. At 80-82mph and unloaded, I'm lucky to get 17+mpg. At 60-65mph, my best is 21.7mpg thus far. So, I have fuel economy envy...and would guess most around here are in awe of 21-22mpg at 85mph.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For my Frontier I've found 80-85mph is about max speed before mpg plummets due to aero...85 is the about max I'll consistently go for long distances, but its happier staying around 80mph. Covering more distance quicker at 85mph over 80mph, and after 15+ hours on road it adds up. Cross country travel sucks at slower speed - rather would eat some ultimate fuel mileage and spend hours less on road than get better mpgs.

The thing about going slower is you have less built up energy to get you up inclines... going faster you can convert some of your speed to the work of getting you up inclines without using throttle like you would maintaining a constant speed. Its a matter of ebbing and flowing with the inclines and declines to maintain a constant push forward.... and simply never touching brakes (no need to with a manual easpecially at higher speeds where the aero will slow you down by simply letting off) or letting traffic slow you down even 1 mph (unless all traffic will be slowed down at certain spots due to construction/jams). And it's about gently rolling on and feeding throttle via minute pressure rather than actually moving the throttle pedal any kind of distance... Best I can describe it.

But yes I do get 21-22mpg in my Frontier keeping it between 80-85mph with just luggage and tools in the truck and using cruise control on non-hilly sections. Once things get a little too hilly cruise comes off and right foot goes to work.

·
Registered
Great truck
872 Posts
mine gets better on the highway going near 80 versus 65. even though people think gas mileage improves at that speed, it really depends on where the most efficient rpms lay so if the trans puts the engine's efficiency at 80 and not 65, I can totally understand getting a little better mileage at the higher speed.

my little 01 gets xx on the highway at 65ish. it gets xx+2 at 80ish. check my fuelly link in my signature

I have only had my truck since march and been out on the highway out of town twice, but that is what I noticed. it was basically one tank of gas from my house to Austin tx. and one tank back. I had to do that drive two weekends in a row and both times I set cruise at 80 and got unbelievable gas mileage versus 60-65 on the highway where I live or going across the water to my uncle's house.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Stay on topic, don't be condescending.
Must be true, just read about a guy that cruises at 100-105 mph and he has such good momentum he doesn't use any gas and will actually have more gas in his tank than when he started. Man you guys are so lucky to get these super cruisers.

·
Registered
Great truck
872 Posts
edited by Mod. if you don't like people's answers, don't act like a child. some people have different experiences and choose to share their experiences. it might not be the same as yours but to talk down like that is very childish and really sours people to wanting to join certain forums.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
mine gets better on the highway going near 80 versus 65. even though people think gas mileage improves at that speed, it really depends on where the most efficient rpms lay so if the trans puts the engine's efficiency at 80 and not 65, I can totally understand getting a little better mileage at the higher speed.

my little 01 gets xx on the highway at 65ish. it gets xx+2 at 80ish. check my fuelly link in my signature

I have only had my truck since march and been out on the highway out of town twice, but that is what I noticed. it was basically one tank of gas from my house to Austin tx. and one tank back. I had to do that drive two weekends in a row and both times I set cruise at 80 and got unbelievable gas mileage versus 60-65 on the highway where I live or going across the water to my uncle's house.
2.4 I4? My '00 XE 2.4/5-sp manual once got 26.0 mpg doing 81 for a 225 mile stretch. But this is not an apples to apples comparison since it is a smaller/lighter truck than a Gen 2 4.0 V6.
What I don't comprehend at all is your 14.4 Fuelly avg? Makes zero sense unless you tow nearly all the time. My '00 work truck was 21-22 mpg avg, and that was w/ an above cab topper w/ 600lbs in the bed most of the time & 2/3 city + 1/3 interstate miles. I drove that lil truck pretty dang hard just to get it up to speed - compared to my '15 which is around 17.5 mpg lifetime avg over 65k miles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts