Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm on Day 1 of a planned 3 to replace my 2006 Frontier's 6-Cyl timing chains due to whining. I have the service manual which says to remove the power steering pump and its bracket. I was able to free the power steering pump and lay it off to the side, but the bracket is proving hard to get to. There are two bolts that I can see on the side of the engine. Do I need to remove anything in particular to reach these?

I ran out of daylight after messing with the pump for over an hour, but if I have to remove something to reach the two bolts on the rear of the mount could it be the cooling system water pipe (about 1" or so in diameter) that runs the length of the block towards the firewall, or do I get at these from underneath by removing the alternator first?

Just want to make sure I don't get stumped on this for too long, I need the truck back in service Monday.

Thanks all,
G

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts
It's a real pain! I use a Craftsman 90 degree 14mm box wrench like pictured below. To break it loose, I stick a 3/8" drive extension into the end for added leverage. Be very careful not to strip the bolt putting it back together. If you have double-jointed fingers, it's a plus!

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts