Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on the way home from vacation a week and a half ago, rock flew up from a semi and spider cracked the passenger side of the windshield. We were not near any big cities at the time, so we just kept on driving. As soon as we stopped in the next big town, the crack spread 6-8 inches in two different directions. So I knew at that point that I was in for a new windshield.

I get a discount through Safelite with my work, so I called them and had it scheduled for them to come to my house last Saturday (11th), in the morning. Guy replaced it with one of their SGC, house brand, windshields. Everything seemed fine, signed off on it and the guy was on his way. Didn't drive it too much the rest of the weekend. On my way to work on Monday, I started to hear a humming sound about halfway there. As the week went on, it seemed to get worse and worse, so I called them on Thursday and they set up an appointment for yesterday morning.

Guy came out and we took it out for a drive so he could hear it. He said it had to either be a gap in the seal or the molding vibrating against the body. He said best option was to just replace it. He replaced it with a PGW (appears this is PPG) brand windshield. He made sure it was pushed up as high as it could go so that the molding was right up against the body. It tightly fit in the corners and all along the top. Didn't drive it until about 3-4 hours after he replaced it. It actually seems like there is less road noise than before when I had the original windshield in there. I am very happy with it now.

The bottom line is, I didn't pay all that much to have this done ($200.01 out of pocket, as my insurace has it as part of comprehensive, so there was no point to file a claim). I like that they clearly stand up for their work. There was no hassle at all for them to correct the problem. This should be expected, but they didn't try to just patch the problem either. They did a complete replacement, with from what I have read, a higher quality glass. So thumbs up for Safelite from me. Have had them do a windshield on a prior vehicle that I never had issues with either.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
i pay an extra .81c a month for glass breakage for my ins. so if a window gets broke or the windshield needs to be replaced i dont pay a dime. which has nice when my old car was broken into by some idiot that just smashed out both side windows. 2 side windows for a Z28 cost the ins co $1200, didnt cost me a dime.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts