Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody,

I just installed a DIY remote starter today from Directed Electronics, it's got remote locks and lights and all that, but I just connected the Starter part... It was working great so I pushed it up into the dash to put it all back together. When I pushed it up something arced. Now I have no Accessory, and no Ignition. The ONLY thing I have are lights, brake lights, dome light, horn, and the chime when I put the key in. Nothing else works. Any ideas what I might have blown? Fuses seem to look okay.

There is also no juice at the back of the ignition cylinder, the ignition or accessory parts of the fuse box as well. It is an 03 Frontier xe. Any help is greatly appreciated.:thatswck:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Meter all (involving ignition, lights, acceries, etc.) fuses at all locations. "Looks" ok and is ok can be two different things. Also check fuse(s) included with system you installed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put a test light from ground to all of the fuses under the dash, and I get power on brake lights, cabin light, etc (the things that are working((from battery))), there is no power going to any of the fuses on the left, which are for ignition and Acc. I unplugged the relays from the back of that box and tried to see if a good one would power another, but nothing happened.

When I plugged the relays back in I saw some lights flash for a split second, which tells me the relays aren't blown, rather something is shorted out or blown, and they are doing their job by cutting power.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Ok, another thought. Drop it back down, locate the bare wire that is contacting metal and causing the short.
exactly i was gunna say the same. you have a piece of bare wire shorting out on something.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would also use a multimeter if possible to check all of your fuses and wires. I cant even count how many times I have found a bad fuse that looked good. Also unless you check both sides of the fuse with the test light it means nothing. Another thing is if you have a bad fuse, it could be allowing only half the voltage to flow through which a test light would not pick up! I was just tought to never, ever install a remote start with a test light. I would definately check all of your wires and look for a bare wire grounding out somewhere. If you cant find one use the multimeter and start checking voltage in all of your wires and narrow it down to the problem. Good luck man

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I went out this morning and found a blown 40A fuse, for the ignition switch. I'm going to double check for bare wires shorting out, replace the fuse and see what happens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the remote starter kit came with an LED test light, and the instructions strictly warned not to use a regular test light. Problem solved though, it was just the Ignition Switch fuse.

Now I've got vent visors (or rain guards, w/e you want to call them), and a tonneau cover on the way. WooHoo!

·
Registered
890 Posts
where did you get a diy kit from directed electronics? usually they are strictly professional install type stuff

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
you can buy some of there products right from there webpage. that or any dealer will sell them without install. i have bought viper as well as clifford and installed them before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.