Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to see if getting a leveling kit is worth it on my 2019 Frontier Pro4X, I have looked through the sticky on lift kits and have only seen front + back lifts on a Pro4X, I have been doing some reading throughout the forums but there doesn't seem to be a very clear answer if it is worth it. I have read that the Pro4X already comes with a factory level, I have read that the larger tires on the Pro4X is what makes it higher stock than the other trim levels. I did also read a post about getting a leveling kit on the Pro4X only makes the front end higher and does not actually level it.

I have also read a lot about CBC and have read many mixed things. I have read that if you get anything higher than 2.5" you are going to get significant CBC, but I have also read that at 2" you can get it as well, so I am not 100% sure what is actually correct. I would assume this could be due to use cases. For myself I do a bit of light off-roading nothing too crazy but, I would like to get a bit more ground clearance and maybe fit some bigger tires at some point. Wondering if there is any point in getting one I am currently looking at a 2.5" leveling kit from rough country but if it is not worth it I have no issue at all saving my cash for something else.

If this has already been discussed sorry for the repost but I was not able to find any real answers on this question.

· Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x Tactical Green, 4" Nisstec with 285/70/17 KO2s
189 Posts
Only way to get more ground clearance is bigger tires. A leveling kit won't lift your differential which is usually the lowest point underneath. I think the question is how much ground clearance you're looking for. A leveling kit will allow bigger tires, but not by much.

· Registered
618 Posts
Most times when doing lifts you basically open a can of worms so to speak. One thing leads to another anytime doing something like this. Stay at 2 inches and avoid cbc and go higher and change upper control arms. Spend the money and go 3 inch or higher and do it right one time. Easier said than done. Look on this website for very good info on lifting the Frontier. That's my take on it.

· Registered
5,275 Posts
How do you determine worth. I have a lift on my truck.
LOL, I have a 2" lift as well, and still rang the bell on some rocks in VA. That's why along with a lift, I have full skid plates and a rear axle cover armour plate, to prevent "peeling the cover". Can never be too well protected.
Mine is tail-high as well, IMHO, a truck that's nose-high just looks goofy. But that's just me.
You oughta see what's running around the Carolina's, 6"+ lift on the nose and zero on the rear. I believe I read somewhere that SC just outlawed such vehicles and will be handing out failure to repair fines.

· Registered
2,671 Posts
I've had the RC 2.5 level (and more, see below) Don't buy it without aftermarket control arms. You need camber bolts for the alignment after install, and don't buy the junk RC ones that bend, buy grade 8 or 10.9 separately

You'll lose what little stock travel you have without control arms, and have the additional benefit of cbc every time you go over anything as big as a speed bump.

No lift will be perfectly level unless you have the ability to fine tune preload on individual corners with decent coilovers.

Lifting a Nissan is an expensive and involved venture.

· Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x Tactical Green, 4" Nisstec with 285/70/17 KO2s
189 Posts
To me, a truck is supposed to have some rake, so I have no interest, but that's me. If you want one, get it. The suggestions above are good to keep in mind.
I am looking to see if getting a leveling kit is worth it on my 2019 Frontier Pro4X, I have looked through the sticky on lift kits and have only seen front + back lifts on a Pro4X, I have been doing some reading throughout the forums but there doesn't seem to be a very clear answer if it is worth it. I have read that the Pro4X already comes with a factory level, I have read that the larger tires on the Pro4X is what makes it higher stock than the other trim levels. I did also read a post about getting a leveling kit on the Pro4X only makes the front end higher and does not actually level it.

I have also read a lot about CBC and have read many mixed things. I have read that if you get anything higher than 2.5" you are going to get significant CBC, but I have also read that at 2" you can get it as well, so I am not 100% sure what is actually correct. I would assume this could be due to use cases. For myself I do a bit of light off-roading nothing too crazy but, I would like to get a bit more ground clearance and maybe fit some bigger tires at some point. Wondering if there is any point in getting one I am currently looking at a 2.5" leveling kit from rough country but if it is not worth it I have no issue at all saving my cash for something else.

If this has already been discussed sorry for the repost but I was not able to find any real answers on this question.
From what I have been told from professionals, Rough Country is widely known as cheap junk among the legitimate off-road community. Something to consider also. There is a reason it's so inexpensive. If you're mall crawling, it'll do the trick.

· Registered
1,412 Posts
Lifts are more for looks IMO. Not worth the money to do a suspension lift (don't even bother with body lifts) just to gain half inch on the differential. You gotta invest on Bilstein 5100's UCA's, coils, leaf springs, tires/rims. Just the accessories will run you well over 2K. If you have somebody else do the work figure 1500/2000 more. Then your going to cut up the truck to fit even 33's. Then pay for alignment. And its in your hopes you don't screw up your factory ride. Because OEMS have already done allot of work as far as tuning the suspension/geometry etc... One of the things I like about the Frontier is easier access to bed and cabin over the competition. Try lifting crap into a ranger. Its a chore. And those trucks don't really offer much more clearance. Just harder access. As for the rake there is a reason for that. I load up my truck several times a year with pellets and its pretty level with 900 lbs in the back. Because of rake. If you really want to improve offroad performance I would think a titan swap would be in order. At least then you would improve front end travel considerable.

· Registered
5,275 Posts
Lifts are more for looks IMO. Not worth the money to do a suspension lift (don't even bother with body lifts) just to gain half inch on the differential. You gotta invest on Bilstein 5100's UCA's, coils, leaf springs, tires/rims. Just the accessories will run you well over 2K. If you have somebody else do the work figure 1500/2000 more. Then your going to cut up the truck to fit even 33's. Then pay for alignment. And its in your hopes you don't screw up your factory ride. Because OEMS have already done allot of work as far as tuning the suspension/geometry etc... One of the things I like about the Frontier is easier access to bed and cabin over the competition. Try lifting crap into a ranger. Its a chore. And those trucks don't really offer much more clearance. Just harder access. As for the rake there is a reason for that. I load up my truck several times a year with pellets and its pretty level with 900 lbs in the back. Because of rake. If you really want to improve offroad performance I would think a titan swap would be in order. At least then you would improve front end travel considerable.
Titan swaps do indeed add more travel, but they also add 6 to 8" of width, and I've been on several trails where that extra width would have been a major hinderance, at best, and a real serious problem at worst. 6112 coil-overs ride very well and a BroverLand rear pack or something similar will take care of weak factory rear leaves, improve the ride and add height. The ARB / OME rear shocks, for me, are the ideal, they ride well and don't cause axle tramp by being too stiff, but control the heavy axle well. I have both of these products installed, can't speak directly to anything else as I went from OE Bilstein 4600s directly to these, and am more than satisfied. YMMV.

· Registered
2,671 Posts
Titan swaps do indeed add more travel, but they also add 6 to 8" of width, and I've been on several trails where that extra width would have been a major hinderance, at best, and a real serious problem at worst. 6112 coil-overs ride very well and a BroverLand rear pack or something similar will take care of weak factory rear leaves, improve the ride and add height. The ARB / OME rear shocks, for me, are the ideal, they ride well and don't cause axle tramp by being too stiff, but control the heavy axle well. I have both of these products installed, can't speak directly to anything else as I went from OE Bilstein 4600s directly to these, and am more than satisfied. YMMV.
So, I hear this from non swapped people pretty frequently, but never from those of us who have TS trucks. The whole negative track width thing has been a non issue for me since swapping from extended travel Radflos. Titan Swapping adds only about 5.5" of width- your control arms never sit perfectly level side to side, so only 2.5" per side, Not sure where 8" came from. My tires still tuck in the fenders on up travel so you can compare yours when tucked for a reference. Your mirrors when folded stick out way more. I drive on 4 wheeler and sideXside paths just fine in the woods. It's easier to know where your tires are when you can see them too, so you're maybe a little more aware of how much room you have.

Just a note about supply chain stuff, My brother waited for Bilstein 6112's for 4 months before the supplier told him "3 more months further back ordered". So just things to think about. He canceled the order and Fox's 2.0s were available and shipment came in within a week. Having the ability to adjust preload individually is a big plus, and without removing the spring. 6112s ride great if you can find them. Any coilover lift beats a spacer lift by a long shot

Reactions: michael.crook6

· Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier Pro4x
420 Posts
adding any spacer to a frontier will cause CBC. the physical length of the coilover with the spacer is what causes CBC. we have seen CBC on bilsteins with even our .5" spacer. just plan on buying aftermarket arms and cam bolts with a spacer to do it correctly.

· Registered
542 Posts
Curious?

The thread title refers to "leveling" and then the OP goes immediately into a discussion about lifting. So, are you interesting in "leveling" your truck or "lifting" your truck? I am always amazed that just about every thread on the forum that gets started about leveling always solicits information about and morfs into a discussion about lifting. Nothing wrong with lifting and larger tires if that's what you want and it fits your needs. Lifted trucks with oversized tires can and often do look awesome.

But, some do actually just want to level their truck, remove the downhill racer aspect from their Frontier. On my 2020 SV CC I installed Bilstein 5125 rear shocks in place of the stock OE units leaving the stock rear spring/mounts/shackles in place. On the front I installed Bilstein 5100 ride height adjustable struts with the spring perch set at 1" above the stock setting with the OE stock springs, stock upper & lower control arms. Also installed OE LCA camber bolts to facilitate proper front end alignment. I have the stock SV 18" wheels with stock sized Hankook Dynapro AT2 265/60 R18 tires all around. On level ground my Frontier sits dead-nuts-level!
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Cloud

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Curious?

The thread title refers to "leveling" and then the OP goes immediately into a discussion about lifting. So, are you interesting in "leveling" your truck or "lifting" your truck? I am always amazed that just about every thread on the forum that gets started about leveling always solicits information about and morfs into a discussion about lifting. Nothing wrong with lifting and larger tires if that's what you want and it fits your needs. Lifted trucks with oversized tires can and often do look awesome.

But, some do actually just want to level their truck, remove the downhill racer aspect from their Frontier. On my 2020 SV CC I installed Bilstein 5125 rear shocks in place of the stock OE units leaving the stock rear spring/mounts/shackles in place. On the front I installed Bilstein 5100 ride height adjustable struts with the spring perch set at 1" above the stock setting with the OE stock springs, stock upper & lower control arms. Also installed OE LCA camber bolts to facilitate proper front end alignment. I have the stock SV 18" wheels with stock sized Hankook Dynapro AT2 265/60 R18 tires all around. On level ground my Frontier sits dead-nuts-level! View attachment 357057
I was asking about leveling and got input about both. I had mentioned I was looking at an RC 2.5" leveling kit. Was wondering if that would allow any bigger tires rather than doing a whole lift. Also I have read that the P4X is factory leveled and wanted some info on that. From what I have gathered from this thread leveling is not worth from a performance point of view. Also I want to avoid CBC and based on some of the replies in this thread I should get aftermarket UCAs to avoid that (I was looking more for a cheaper solution if possible) and it is not as straight forward on Nissans as it is on other trucks and can be a pricey when done properly (which I would want to do). I think people use lift and level interchangeably which I may be guilty of :p

I am also pretty new to owning this truck and have very little knowledge other than the threads I have read here.

SV looks great with a level! Did you need to upgrade anything on it was it straight forward?

· Registered
542 Posts
I was asking about leveling and got input about both. I had mentioned I was looking at an RC 2.5" leveling kit. Was wondering if that would allow any bigger tires rather than doing a whole lift. Also I have read that the P4X is factory leveled and wanted some info on that. From what I have gathered from this thread leveling is not worth from a performance point of view. Also I want to avoid CBC and based on some of the replies in this thread I should get aftermarket UCAs to avoid that (I was looking more for a cheaper solution if possible) and it is not as straight forward on Nissans as it is on other trucks and can be a pricey when done properly (which I would want to do). I think people use lift and level interchangeably which I may be guilty of :p

I am also pretty new to owning this truck and have very little knowledge other than the threads I have read here.

SV looks great with a level! Did you need to upgrade anything on it was it straight forward?
As stated, I had no desire to lift or raise my Frontier beyond stock height, I was only seeking to level it, eliminate the downhill racer. The rear is OE stock height, never messed with the stock springs or shackles. The upgrades are as indicated in my post. I swapped out the stock rear shock units for the Bilstein 5125 units and on the front all remains stock other than the swapped out Bilstein 5100 struts, spring perch set at 1" above stock height, and the adjustable camber bolts on the lower control arms.

Not quite sure why RC calls it a leveling kit when in fact it's a lifting kit.

· Registered
20 Posts

My 2019 Midnight Edition has factory 18" wheels and the truck is higher and leveled. My (totaled) 2011 had 16" wheels and the nose was higher than the rear after I had a 2.5" lift kit installed. IMO it looked stupid so while still deciding whether to get it leveled, it got rear-ended. If you want to lift, make sure you decide exactly what you want first and have it done all at the same time. It will cost you more if otherwise.

· Registered
2,671 Posts
I appreciate all the replies and from the sounds of it, I should just stick with stock for now and upgrade in the future if I do some more serious off-roading. Plus if I do a lift I want to do it right which of course would be quite expensive.
good plan! You can do a LOT of wheeling in the stock form too. I'd suggest looking into a couple skid plates if you want to go after trails as you are.

Reactions: Backrank
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.