Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I took my truck in to have the dealer perform fluid service on the transmission, both differentials and the transfer case. They found a leaking rear axle seal. Surprise!! And only 51K miles on the truck. They fixed it under warranty. The experience got me to thinking I ought to do the axle vent mod described in several forum threads.

I bought the parts last week and today I went to install it. The hose barb I bought does not fit the axle. It is real close, but just won't go. Does anyone have a part number from Amazon or Home Depot or ??? for the barb?

The part I bought is from Amazon. One of the forum threads says the threaded end is 1/8 inch NPTF. I could not find any such thing, so I went with 1/8 inch PTF. What is the difference?

That same thread has a Toyota part number, but I could find no references to it and no place to buy it.

When I took out the existing vent, I saw some cruft in the end. It looks a bit like a sponge that has been soaked in oil. The cap on top is loose and spins easily, so I figure it cannot be too badly plugged.

I see most axle vents are done with a straight barb. I want to use a right-angle because I think it will be a bit easier to make a coil in the hose to allow axle movement, and also a bit easier to route the hose up and over the exhaust. I don't want to tie the host to the brake line.

Thanks - Bill Gee

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
This is the one I used... Put a little teflon anti-seize tape on it and it threaded right in.

It doesn't solve your 90 degree request, but I can't say I've ever seen one that wasn't straight...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Geekmyride - Thanks! I'll take this to the dealer and see what they have.

Chris_B - An interesting idea. I probably won't do it because it leaves me no go-back option. I see that OEM breathers with caps can be had on eBay for $11.00. If I can't find a true barb, then Plan B is to buy a new OEM part for backup, "modify" the existing part and see what happens.

Bill Gee

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Read the sticky on the topic. I have discovered that it is not NPT or NPTF. I think it is the british variety which is 28 tpi. I have some fittibg coming in the mail. Get the nissan part. Known to fit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My nissan dealer gave me the part, so they wouldn't have to worry about doing axle seals on my truck

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Axle breather mode done - With photos

Hello everyone -

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried buying the adapter at the local Nissan dealer, but they did not have it in stock. Since I had to order it anyway, I went online and got it from https://www.courtesyparts.com. Shipping was rather high for so small a part, but they shipped fast.

It took less than an hour to install. Photos attached. I won't give any detailed instructions because others have taken care of that. The only thing I did different was to NOT attach the breather line to the brake line. I did not want to put any additional stress, however little it might be, on so critical a part.

Bill Gee

Attachments

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Not NPT
It is BPT

Not National but British threads. Thread pitch is a little different. If you jam a NPT into the hole the threads will bind before a seal is made.

The oil pressure sender is also BPT and why they tend to leak when someone gets a NPT oil pressure fitting trying to jam into the hole.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i got an OE replacement, but will be checkin out opening up the end + adding a hose, simple + cheap!!! E-bay almost always ships FREE!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
just changed my rusty vent yesterday, + pulling it apart reveals a light spring + a small round gasket with a VERY short end unsuitable to clamp a hose on. so i will be getting the fitting listed for Taco's + adding some hose + filter, cheap + easy!!! i had an open hose by the factory air box + noticed it went to the front diff so i zipped it + added a filter there. good stuff + thanks to all for the info!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts