Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this might be a stupid question or a question that has been asked before. I am in the market for a new truck and I am in the toss up between the Pro4x 4x4 or just the SV 4x4. I know the Pro 4x is the fully loaded but for normal use do I need all the extra stuff it comes with or is the SV 4x4pretty much the same? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Individual thing. Some need to have it all and use it. Some buy for the neighbours.

Me I just went entry level. Heck my truck has little bars of metal that you actually have to turn in a circular motion to raise and lower the windows. Does have an automatic transmission and air conditioning tho.

I did replace the factory radio with an Android power house one (link in sig).

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
I'm biased as a Pro-4X owner, but.

It seems there are different seats available for the different trim levels. the Pro-4X's come with the multi adjustable seats that most agree are more comfortable than the lower trim seats. Look for two dials on the side of the driver's seat. Those are the more comfortable seats. The leather power seats would fit in to this same category. I've never had a complaint about the seats in my truck even on 5+ hour drives.

The Bilstien shocks on the Pro-4X seem to be valved a little softer and it comes with a 75 series tire instead of a 70 series tire of other trim levels. Some have commented about rough ride, I feel my Pro-4X rides smooth like a Cadillac as far as trucks are concerned.

With all that said, I would put the spray in bedliner and Utilitrac as the two most valuable options my truck has. I would gladly give up any other options on the truck as long as I got to keep those.

The locker, while nice, I've only used a handful of times.

The skid plates are thin and their actual level of protection is minimal at best.

I've never once regretted buying a Pro-4X over another trim level. In the past I have bought lower trim levels and would normally later on wish I had some option I did not get.

With that said, If I was buying again and had two trucks in front of me, I would simply look at how they were optioned and what the price was. The pro-4X can be pricey in comparison. I bought a gently used Pro-4X so I could get what I wanted as a new was out of my price range.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I got the Pro-4X because I liked the look out of the box, not that I necessarily need a locker. This is the second Pro-4X I've had with the first one having the premium package with leather seats and sunroof. Mine has heated cloth seats but no sunroof. I personally think the cloth seats are more comfortable than the leather ones.

You remember when Marty McFly got his black Toyota pickup? That's how I feel about my truck.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I bought my Pro4 mainly because it was sitting next to the Pro4 Xterra that I was looking at, I was attracted to the offroad package/options .... seats are nice and comfy, but need to adjust back another inch or so ... the sun roof I could give or take (already had to replace the motor) .... the sound system is nice .... I do really like the locking diff. I've used it few times in snow and it works really well. The suspension difference is pretty much a joke. Yes they spec in Bilstien Shocks with a slightly heavier front spring, but the rear leafs are they same under sprung pieces of crap that come on all trim models. I've had to install air bags to help manage the stinkbug handling. A suspension upgrade will be in my future which I hope will rectify the handling issues.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
If cost is no obstacle, then P4X all the way. Otherwise, and like shizzy stated, the Value Truck Package (VTP) is an excellent option on an SV auto trans. Should you be considering a 6-sp SV Crew Cab, then the VTP package comes standard.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i like the seats in my base-model PRO4X. plus, i wheel my trucks and needed the e-locker for many of the trails in colorado. hell sometimes i use it just trying to get to my skid steer in the winter when the road isn't plowed and there is 36"+ of snow.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Go with what you want and can afford.

I've got a '15 SV 4x4 CC V6 and have never regretted not getting the Pro4x.

They didn't have one on the lot that I liked and I've had mind in deep snow and in the deep soupy sand on the Outer Banks of North Carolina and never felt like I needed the locker.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I didn't really know the differences when i bought my sv with the Value package. The rear locker and colormatch grille and rear bumper would've been enough for me. Didn't realize there were better seats until reading this thread. In hindsight, i would've paid the couple thousand dollars extra

·
Registered
802 Posts
I don't think the Pro4xs suspension should make much difference, since most replace the suspension if they do any sort of offroading anyway. For me, the e-locker is what sold me on it. Oh, and I also like the stitching on the leather seats.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Do you offroad?

I have a '14 SV. I knew I'd be modifying it. The only things I would like from the ProX is the adjustable seats & the locking m226 rear diff.
I did LineX & 'utility tracks' in the bed myself. Cost: $500 plus my labor for the tracks. I'm working on the lockers currently (Lokka front, Tru-Track LSD rear) and picking out a new head unit. Once done with the head unit I'll have both FRONT & Rear cameras (good for solo obstacle navigation). I'm not enamored with the operation of the stock HU (on any of the trim levels). I use USB for music and it makes no sense in the order of playlist songs it plays. Other HU it will play in order as they appear on your computer. On mine, it seems to auto-shuffle even when I turn shuffle off...

The only thing I can't do is the adjustable seats. And new ones are just stupid expensive (almost as much as the ProX upgrade).

Choose on what you like, what you are comfortable paying, and what you can/do use. Lockers are an extra cost if you never off-road. But if you DO, then the locker with a set of armor (skids&sliders) will get you farther than that Jeep on 35" open/open axles.... lockers are the key...

·
Super Moderator
10,399 Posts
There is great value in the SV with truck value package. In years past I always had to have the top model with all the goodies but in the end most of it was UN- needed. The manufacturers, dealers and finance companies loved it though.....
Whatever you select don't bury yourself in debt over it, it's not worth it.

Clint

·
Premium Member
5,870 Posts
You said it yourself in your first post: "for normal use". If you're not going to use all the Pro-4X bits on a daily basis, then you'll either A. spend too much money on something you don't even need, or B/ spend too much money for the sake of saying "I have a Pro-4X".

There is great value in the SV with truck value package. In years past I always had to have the top model with all the goodies but in the end most of it was UN- needed. The manufacturers, dealers and finance companies loved it though.....
Whatever you select don't bury yourself in debt over it, it's not worth it.

Clint
Same here. I used to want top-of-the-line, but now logic comes into play. For example, all my previous rides had power sliding moonroofs... never/rarely used them. Think about the extra cost of a Pro-4X and what if comes with; if you don't need the Pro-4X stuff (emphasis on NEED) then go with the SV + VTP. Likewise if you're planning on some good off-roading; if so then you'll be swapping out some of those Pro-4X parts anyways.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
My SV 4x4 has been great. It is now basically a pro4x since I put the M226 rearend in it and have a custom sound system.

·
Registered
2015 CC SL 4x4 - Lear Cap.
231 Posts
It's a big price difference, if money is no object go 4x, I like all the options just in case, but on the other hand I don't 4 wheel that much, truck might get dirty..lol.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I bought the SV with the Sport Appearance Package (only offered in 2012) because it gave me some of the options that I wanted from the PRO-4X: better drivers seat, PRO-4X seat color, body color bumpers, 18" wheels, PRO-4X/SL instrument cluster. Since that package is no longer offered I'd buy the PRO-4X, the seats alone are worth the price jump IMO.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I bought the SV with the Sport Appearance Package (only offered in 2012) because it gave me some of the options that I wanted from the PRO-4X: better drivers seat, PRO-4X seat color, body color bumpers, 18" wheels, PRO-4X/SL instrument cluster. Since that package is no longer offered I'd buy the PRO-4X, the seats alone are worth the price jump IMO.
I love my '12 SAP too, but a P4X w/a sunroof will be in my garage on the next go around.
That's if Nissan builds another Fronty worth buyin????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2012 SV with the manual and the only thing I miss is having a limited slip differential - which isn't available on the Pro4X anyway. The e-locker is nice, but I want traction all the time not just when I remember to hit the button. My truck came with a factory sprayed in bed liner and utilitrack - I'm guessing from the posts above it isn't that common on an SV?

I've added Pro4x wheels ($300), a pathfinder cluster ($35), heated seats ($50), and a titan finned differential cover ($40) and saved a few thousand over a Pro4X. Now I just drive it and keep my other vehicles for the bigger projects. If you want to modify something the SV is a good base, if you just want to get in and go with something that looks a bit flashier the Pro4X might be your ticket.

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
I have a 2012 SV with the manual and the only thing I miss is having a limited slip differential - which isn't available on the Pro4X anyway. The e-locker is nice, but I want traction all the time not just when I remember to hit the button. My truck came with a factory sprayed in bed liner and utilitrack - I'm guessing from the posts above it isn't that common on an SV?

I've added Pro4x wheels ($300), a pathfinder cluster ($35), heated seats ($50), and a titan finned differential cover ($40) and saved a few thousand over a Pro4X. Now I just drive it and keep my other vehicles for the bigger projects. If you want to modify something the SV is a good base, if you just want to get in and go with something that looks a bit flashier the Pro4X might be your ticket.
I've owned trucks with limited slip rear differentials. I'll take a selectable locker any day. OEM limited slips add only marginal traction and are a good way to put yourself in the ditch in the winter if you live where it snows.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I too am a biased pro-4x owner, i felt like the luxury package on mine was a much better value and cheaper than getting any other fully loaded 4x4 trim. The thing is the i do not think they offer the Pro-4x with a long bed, so if you are looking for that it may be a no go.

Last but not least, if you look at the pic below and never see your truck getting that dirty, you do not need a pro-4x.

just my 2 cents

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts