Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a nasty problem, and I am not sure what to do. I will try to be concise. ANY ADVICE greatly appreciated.

I brought my 2010 Frontier PRO-4x into Rebel Offroad, orange county, ca for a simple shock replacement. The vehicle is mostly pavement with light to moderate off-highway from time to time. 62,000 miles on it. The suspension was smooth and tight, but getting a little bouncy, so I thought some new shocks would help. stock Bilstien 5100.

To make a long story short, they forgot to put in the top spaces and bushings. I put 1,000 miles on it, highway and paved, before I got it back to them. They put in the missing spacers and bushings.

So, the horrible metal-to-metal clunks and bangs are gone, but, the springs creek and groan, the suspension seems loose, it rocks, and my wonderful ride is just plain gone.

I was wondering what other damage was done with the spacer/bushing-less mileage put on it.

What should I ask them to do? Can I get my nice riding vehicle back, or am I screwed.

HELP!

·
Registered
791 Posts
What do your spring perches look like? I wonder if they're installed upside down.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
OP, I hope the shop makes it right for you, good luck!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Where the spring sits on the strut.

If it looks like this, it's wrong.

If it looks like this, it's right.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
tnx so much for taking the time to supply these pics. much appreciated.

Although, I did learn something, it looks like the perches were properly installed.

gotta go looking for another problem ...

I am not sure they know what "right" is. Rebel Offroad mostly works on jeeps and they got it wrong the first time.

The Nissan dealer in Santa Rosa, CA totally misdiagnosed the problem, and charged me $100 for the priveledge. I am now wary of going to another Nissan dealer.

Sure wish I had a reference to a good independet shop in Orange County, CA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here is a response from a Nissan mechanic on ASK.COM ($40):

It sound like someone doesn't know what they are doing. At this rate instead of going to all these shops, I would take it to the dealer. On the bottom part of the strut spring there is normally a rubber seat so once the spring seats at the bottom of the strut you won't get spring noise. If that is gone and the spring was not installed in the proper location when doing the struts, then that could produce the spring noise you are hearing.

struts all have a grove at the base of the strut where the spring is suppose to seat to. If it's not in the seat, the spring could shift when turning. Especially if not installed properly. I would also have the upper strut mounts checked as well.

But it all seems to be due to improper install.

At the same time, after they do repairs, I would think the vehicle is road tested before giving it back to you to verify there is no noises. So that is something I would take up with the shops you have been going to as well. Especially if your not doing any sort of lift and you are just trying to keep it stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts