Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are the shocks from a Pro 4X compatible with an SV or do they have different mountings between the two? I was looking to add the Pro 4X Bilsteins onto my 2018 SV.

Also are they a decent upgrade or should I be looking at another option?

I did a search on the forum but nothing came up.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Direct bolt in.
Pro-4x sits higher because the tires are taller. Springs might have a touch more lift. Shocks alone do nothing for height.

Don't understand the above comment. Are you asking what it would cost?

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
shocks do not provide lift.
Direct bolt in.
Pro-4x sits higher because the tires are taller. Springs might have a touch more lift. Shocks alone do nothing for height.

Don't understand the above comment. Are you asking what it would cost?
Assume OP will swap in both shock and coil spring. Pro4x has a higher spring rate than the other springs
The Yellow bilsteins are also longer than the black SV shock.
Yes the dampening part of shocks do not have an effect on ride height. But the lower spring perch and the overall length does.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I had a 2012 SL then traded it in for a 2012 PRO-4X , The PRO- 4X had a much cushier / softer ride than the SL ....but part of that feeling was most likely from going from 18" rims to 16" rims.

·
Banned
219 Posts
I have the same basic question that the OP is trying to get a direct answer to: What will upgrading to Bilsteins (just the new shocks) do for me in terms of ride/handling? thnx for any responses. maybe no one has made this particular switch to be able to comment specifically.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Basically yes that's what I was asking. MNCarl pretty much answered my question. I had gone from stock shocks to Bilsteins on my old Ram 1500, which I had raised the front end 2" and noticed that it handled bumps and what not better but it was also stiffer during everyday driving, but that was using Bilsteins on the front that were for a Ram 2500 since they were longer to accommodate the lift. I was hoping to get better shock feel for the Frontier (better handling and feel except I'm not raising the front or rear).

·
Banned
583 Posts
For one person bone jarring compression damping feels great, for someone else they want soft compression damping for a smooth ride and just want the rebound dampening for stability.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Are the stock shocks gas? Have noticed improvement in vehicles going to gas shocks. And have noticed decrease in ride quality going from stock gas shocks to rs5000’s. Bet you’d notice no difference if both are gas.

·
Registered
2011 SV 4x4 Long bed, BFG TA KO LT Tires
45 Posts
Are the shocks from a Pro 4X compatible with an SV or do they have different mountings between the two? I was looking to add the Pro 4X Bilsteins onto my 2018 SV.

Also are they a decent upgrade or should I be looking at another option?

I did a search on the forum but nothing came up.
Hi, called my dealership about the shocks from Pro 4X (since i'm also thinking of upgrading for SV long bed) and ask if there is any difference about mounting points etc if i were to use the Bilstein compare to stock damper/ shocks for the SV and he said no, it's basically the same chassis ever since 2009 or 2010.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm in the bone jarring damping camp. In my research for coil springs, I found very little info other than free length and that they are all constant rate, no matter 4X, 2X or P4X. I can say that with new coils and the 4600's it is much firmer now, but that is how I like it. These are Moog springs which is why they have 10 coils, as opposed to OE which have 8 coils. I am also running E load rated 75's tires. So with my little 1" lift I am taller than a P4X now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts