USERNAME: }{Pro-4X}{
YEAR: 2018
MAKE: Knee-San
MODEL: Frontier
TRIM: Pro-4X Luxury
COLOR: Silver

---------------------------------------------

Hey everyone.

Welcome to my official build thread. A little bit about myself, and my (lack of) truck experience. WARNING, LONG READ. SKIP TO THE BOTTOM FOR A LIST OF CURRENT/PLANNED BUILD UPGRADES

I bought my first truck in 1999. It was a (well) used 1992 Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab with 185,000 km on it. I mostly used it for work purposes. We had our first kid in 2000, then the second one arrived in 2001. So, 2.5 years into truck ownership, it was time to sell and 'upgrade' to a........mini van lol. 2 kids under the age of 2, and a large dog. What are you gonna do?

Fast forward to 2003, my father in-law gave me his 1988 Dodge Ram 250, it was a propane conversion. I thought 'cool, I'm back into a truck'. Ugh, what a mistake it was taking that 'free' truck. My father in-law is a handy guy (tradesman like myself), but he tends to be cheap when it comes to vehicle maintenance, and sometimes gets himself in over his head (he actually installed the brakes backwards on one vehicle). Suffice to say that 3 years, and 4k later, I wanted to drive the truck into a river. My father in-law offered to buy it back from me for 1500$. I jumped at the offer, and was once again sans truck. C'est la vie.

Fast forward again to late January of 2019. My (now 18 yr old) son offered to go pick up my daughter from her friends house. It was starting to snow out, so my wife told him to take her Ford Escape since it was 4WD. Off he heads. About half an hour later, my wifes phone rings and I can hear my daughter on the other end. She's telling my wife that they got into an accident, and the Escape is totalled. At first my wife didn't believe her, thought my daughter was joking. But I could hear her voice, and I could tell by the distress in it that she wasn't joking. Of course once my wife realized that it wasn't a joke, panic sets in. Luckily, both kids were fine, only the Escape was totalled (it was a 2011 that we bought in 2012 with only just under 10k KM on it, it had roughly 134k KM when the accident occurred).

So now, we're in the market for a new vehicle. Insurance gives us 13k for the Escape, and we go out vehicle hunting. I wasn't really looking for a truck, we have a 2012 Civic and I've got a 2009 3 Series BMW. We were looking for a replacement vehicle for my wife. After shopping around for the better part of 2 days, my wife wanted to look at a Rogue at the local Nissan dealership. It was in our way home from downtown, so we stopped in to check it out.

Of course, the first thing I do is start checking out the trucks lol. I see a 2018 Frontier S (think it was an S) 4x4. Black on black. It's got some bigger knobby tires, and looks nice. So I'm looking at it, and they want 34.6k for it. We decide to take it for a spin. It's a nice truck. No leather. No sunroof. Kind of bare bones, but a nice truck. My wife asks me if I'd be happy with it. I say yeah, despite the lack of options it's still a nice (and nice looking) truck.

We get back to the dealership, and the sales guy has the Rogue my wife wanted to look at ready to go. So we take it out for a test drive. It's nice. Fully loaded. All the bells and whistles. Black with red trim exterior, red with black leather interior. My wife is in love with it. I think it was 39.9k, but might have been higher.

As we park it, and start walking to see the sales guy, I see a silver Frontier parked kind of at the back of the lot. I decide to go check it out. Walk up to it, and see that it doesn't have plates on it, but no price tag or window sticker either. I start poking around it, and see it's a Pro-4X with leather, a sunroof, side rails etc. The only thing I didn't like was the short box. It was locked, so I walk over to the sales guy and ask him about it. He says 'what truck?' I point it out to him, and he's like 'I have no idea. Let me see if I can get some information about it'. He comes back a minute or two later, says 'I don't have any info about it, but here are the keys and a plate, take it for a spin and I'll see what I can find out about it by the time you get back '.

So off we go again. I get into the truck, and I immediately fall in love with it. It's everything I want, and probably some things I don't need, in a truck. After about a 30 min test drive, we get back to the dealership. Keep in mind, the bare bones Frontier we'd test driven earlier was 34.6k. So I'm fully expecting this fully loaded Pro-4X model to be close to 50k.

Sales guy comes out and says 'let me guess, you hated it?. First words out of my wifes mouth are 'how much?' (Ever the pragmatist my wife). So he says 'come into my office and we'll chat'.

We sit down in his office, and he's got 2 sheets of paper in front of him. One has a list of items, maybe 8 in total. He says that is the options on the first truck you took out, 34.6k. Then he turns the second sheet towards us, there are probably 20 (or more) items on the list. He says, that's the second truck you took out. Then he tells us that the second truck just arrived back on the lot that day. They hadn't even had time to clean it out (it was very clean anyway). Then he tells us the 'story' of the truck:

Apparently a long time customer of the dealership bought it thinking that he wanted a truck. He had it for 5 months, and it mostly just sat there taking up space in his driveway. When he bought it he added side rails and the tonneau cover as options. After 5 months, he decided that he didn't need a truck, so he brought it back to the dealership and traded it in for the vehicle he'd bought the last couple of times, a Murano. MSRP on the truck was 47.9k, but they just wanted to get rid of it, so they were willing to part with it for 35.9k. My jaw about smacked the floor lol. I was fully expecting at least 45k. We were able to whittle them down another 1k to 34.9. It only had 1385 km on it (after my test drive).

And there it was, I was now the proud owner of a shiny 'new' 2018 Pro-4X Frontier.

Whew lol. I did not intend to write a novel there. Thanks for sticking with me if you made it this far.

Now here I am about 1.5 years later, and ready to start doing some upgrades to this baby. Thus far, the only things that have been done to it are the following:

Dealership installed side rails (original owner)
Dealership installed tonneau (original owner)
Dealership installed trailer hitch (me)
Dealership installed box extender (me)
Viper 5906V 2 Way Security + Remote Start (in transit)

That's it thus far. Future plans include:

3~4" suspension lift
33~34" tires
Front Bumper Grille Guard
Winch (possibly)
LED head and tailght upgrades
Interior LED lights
New Exhaust
Snorkel kit (possibly)
Tow mirrors
Rear taillight guards

My goal is to make it a nice looking truck, with some decent off road and possibly sand dune capabilities.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Well done on the negotiating. The headlamp bulbs you're going to want are the Katana 6.5k 12,000 lumens. There are multiple write-ups regarding them and you might like my YouTube channel review and install guide.

Reactions: }{Pro-4X}{

·
Registered
2018 Pro-4X
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that a good price for that truck?
MSRP was about 48k, so I'd say it was. Especially since it came with the tonneau cover and side rails.

The Toyota Tacoma I'd looked at earlier that day was 55k, and the base models were in the mid to high 30k range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
MSRP was about 48k, so I'd say it was. Especially since it came with the tonneau cover and side rails.

The Toyota Tacoma I'd looked at earlier that day was 55k, and the base models were in the mid to high 30k range.
Are you in Canada?

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is a good deal. I just got back from my maiden voyage with the Katana LEDs mentioned in this thread. Wow, these are what the truck should come with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys, these Nissan Frontiers are relative Bargains compared to the Competition! My 2019 Crew Cab Luxury Package SL 4x4 Stickered for $38.4k, was 10 months old with 18k miles, and I scored it for $22.5k at Ken Ganley Nissan! Smokin Deal! I've added the tonneau cover and a trailer hitch platform and wiring harness. It's a "Gentleman's 4x4" as it doesn't have Skid Plates, but I don't do much Off Road anyway. Love the Loaded Luxury!

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi guys, these Nissan Frontiers are relative Bargains compared to the Competition! My 2019 Crew Cab Luxury Package SL 4x4 Stickered for $38.4k, was 10 months old with 18k miles, and I scored it for $22.5k at Ken Ganley Nissan! Smokin Deal! I've added the tonneau cover and a trailer hitch platform and wiring harness. It's a "Gentleman's 4x4" as it doesn't have Skid Plates, but I don't do much Off Road anyway. Love the Loaded Luxury!
Ken Ganley Nissan, like Medina, OH?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts