Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, have searched and read the sticky on lifts already, and decided to go with a 2in spacer lift front and 2in block in rear.
I have found some online but more than a few say they are not compatible with the Pro4x. The shops I go to tell me the same.
Due to a recent injury I am unable to do the work myself even though it's a simple job, so I have to have a shop do it and they are not willing since supposedly the parts won't fit.
Can a 2nd gen Pro4x owner with a simple spacer lift chime in and point me to a 2in spacer lift that will work on a 14Pro4x? If anyone in the Pensacola area can help with the install or knows a place that would be incredible.
Thanks all

·
Registered
549 Posts
There is no real difference between models. Your truck comes with Bilstein struts/shocks and slightly taller tires. Spacers will fit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just installed a 2 in front spacer and 1 inch rear block on my truck. Its almost perfectly level. 2 in rear block will keep the rake (aka nose diving ) in the front

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

But yes the parts will fit. Assuming the parts are the same on a '10 and a '14 which i am pretty sure they are.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
My son has a 2 inch spacer lift on the front of his 2013 Pro-4x and 1.5 in the rear. So does mine and they both came from Greg at PRG.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just installed 2" Daystar spacers. The kit comes with some very nice 1-1/2" rear shackles. A tire shop should be able to install it for you. The kit was approx. $140 including shipping on Amazon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there brining back a old thread I am looking at installing the daystar kit with 2 inch spacers up front and the shackle rear. I have just picked up a 2018 Pro4x and I’m really curious if any one is getting coil bucket contact or if there is any reason not to buy this lift?
Thanks
Travis

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi there brining back a old thread I am looking at installing the daystar kit with 2 inch spacers up front and the shackle rear. I have just picked up a 2018 Pro4x and I’m really curious if any one is getting coil bucket contact or if there is any reason not to buy this lift?
Thanks
Travis
From what I understand, there are no spacers that are that size that won't have coil bucket contact without doing further modifications. There are a ton of threads about different lifts that work for these. There is a big section in suspension that says read this before going forward. Read that. If you're just Lifting for show those kind of lifts are okay, but if you actually intend to use a lift for anything else, that's not the way to go in my personal opinion.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Thanks
Travis
Even just the simple 1.5 x 1 mini spacer lift on my 2016 P4X had coil bucket contact if i went over speed bumps too fast. That kit is just O.K. Better off going with springs and an AAL.

@AlldogsOffroad can set you up, and they're super great folks with some real customer service. Check out this kit for a budget friendly option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I really like the idea of going full spring and add a leaf, but trying to get stuff out of the states costs way too much. Up here in B.C. I’m kinda limited to major brands BDS, Zone, Rough Country, Daystar, Bilstein, etc. I have thought about going 5100 max adjust with factory springs and a lift block or even have a extra leaf added at local spring shop. I haven’t seen enough info about running the 5100’s on a Pro4x, I do appreciate everyone’s opinion and I have read as much as I could. Main reason I thought of the spacer lift is that the shocks on my truck are essentially new, so didn’t really want to buy a new set,
Thanks
Travis

·
Registered
11 Posts
Closest thing I found this morning is old man emu springs 2706 for the front and ome add a leafs for the rear but this may be a silly question do I have to run ome struts with their springs?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Closest thing I found this morning is old man emu springs 2706 for the front and ome add a leafs for the rear but this may be a silly question do I have to run ome struts with their springs?
You can run the OME springs on 5100's or on the OME shocks if they're easier to source locally. This is very common in the Toyota world. Just make sure to run the coils on the lowest notch on the 5100's.

Not sure if the OME AAL is compatible with an oem leaf pack - they're made for the Dakar leaf packs. We agree, we wish shipping to Canada was much cheaper. It really is an arm and a leg for you guys between conversion rates and international ground shipping.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
The reason that most of these kits say it is not compatible with the pro4x is due to the yellow bilsteins being longer than the OE black shocks. With the additional length the shock with crush on full compression. This will lead to premature failure of the shock. Most people do not do anything about it as hit full compression is rare in street driving conditions. THe solution is to replace the stock bump with a slightly taller bump stop at the cost of slightly decreasing total suspension travel. PRG is the only kit that includes a taller bump. This is a standard energy suspension bump stop. So you can just add it to any spacer kit 2" or taller.
You can see the bump in this picture.

Now coil bucket contact is a totally different beast. TO understand what it is you have to go back a little in truck suspension design history. Trucks with independent front suspension use to have a compression bump stop (we still do on the lower control arm) and a drop stop to limit how far down the suspension can drop out before it stops. Something NEEDS to limit the down travel. On older trucks (gen 1 frontier and hardbody) there was a 2nd bump stop located on the UCA that would contact a pad. In race trucks they use fabric straps (looks like seatbeat straps). In newer trucks, there is a internal drop bump stop located inside the shock. Back in the day topping out a shock was bad. You could easily pull the shaft out of the shock body and have a mess on your hands. So now if take a shock with a set max extended length that is intended to stop the drop travel. THen you add a spacer on top of it to make it longer, then the drop location will now be further down. With the stock UCA, this new max drop location is lower than the allowed by the swing of the UCA as it contacts the coil bucket before the internal bump stop of the shock is reached.

In a non pro4x a 1.5" spacer will not reach CBC. with the longer pro4x bils it will. CBC is not necessarily bad as now you have increased you total suspension travel. It just sounds really bad. You can dampen this sound by adding a drop stop to your uca.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I have been checking things out and trying to find what is available to me without completely breaking the bank, so far I have found:
Bilstein 5100 front shocks that I would set to max setting i think
Ready lift add a leaf and Bilstein 5100 rear shocks
I have also priced out a set of Moog cam bolts, which I'm guessing I would need
All this would be about $900
Now the cheaper option that I also kinda like is:
Factory shocks with OME 2607 springs if thats possible
Ready lift add a leaf and factory rear shock
If this a viable idea this set up would be about $450
I want to lift it once or at least have a platform I can build on if I want to add to it. I built a Cherokee previously and I changed the suspension about 4 times before I got it right, I do not want to do that again.
Thanks for all your input
Travis

·
Registered
791 Posts
So I have been checking things out and trying to find what is available to me without completely breaking the bank, so far I have found:
Bilstein 5100 front shocks that I would set to max setting i think
Ready lift add a leaf and Bilstein 5100 rear shocks
I have also priced out a set of Moog cam bolts, which I'm guessing I would need
All this would be about $900
Now the cheaper option that I also kinda like is:
Factory shocks with OME 2607 springs if thats possible
Ready lift add a leaf and factory rear shock
If this a viable idea this set up would be about $450
I want to lift it once or at least have a platform I can build on if I want to add to it. I built a Cherokee previously and I changed the suspension about 4 times before I got it right, I do not want to do that again.
Thanks for all your input
Travis
If you run the 5100s at max, just be prepared for a stiffer (harsher) ride. The adage "buy once, cry once" somewhat applies here. (obviously youll have to replace parts as they wear out over time.)

What kind of off-road will you be doing? Collectively we might be able to point you in a direction that will grow with you for a decent price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In reality I would be 90% on road, 10% off-road, mostly forest service roads with the occasional ATV sized trails that we have spread out all over the place here. This is my daily driver gets me back and forth to work, I have it set up to tow a small travel trailer, so I will most likely stay with a stock size 265/75r16 tire or at most go to a 255/85r16. I understand I am trying to have my cake and eat it too but from what I’ve read a add a leaf and either 5100’s maxed or even the rancho loaded strut should get me what I want, for now. I know at this time I don’t want to get upper control arms but that is some thing that can be added later If I want to go higher. So I guess I just want to start right with a system I can build upon as time goes on. I do appreciate all of this input,
Thanks
Travis

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
just do the daystar 2" spacer. Then add a taller bump to the LCA

Then a UCA stop

And an AAL to the rear. SHould only be a couple of hundred bucks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for your input I think I am gonna go with the Daystar kit but it’s gonna have to wait for a bit, I bought some new shoes for the Frontier, 265/75R16 Duratrac’s and I can’t wait to try them.
Thanks
Travis

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I found our local parts store has a ready lift in stock they are trying to blow out, I’m gonna go look tomorrow, I guess they have had it for a long time. I have read the truck will sit higher in the front. So I figured I might do that to start out, then later add a leaf to the rear and longer shocks. I’m sure this will be just the beginning I can see later adding upper control arms (found a Canadian supplier) and then finally some adjustable struts.
Hopefully
Cheers
Travis

1 - 18 of 18 Posts