Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. Shopping around for my first Frontier. Started off looking for late model, low miles CC SV w/ VTP, RWD. Had my eyes set on one "local" for $24600, 2016 with 3k miles. Test drive and loved it. Dealer wouldn't budge on the price and wouldn't give me a good value on my trade as they view it as wholesale ('14 Mazda CX-5, loaded but 82k miles and small town dealership with a similar '13 already w/ only 40k). Called back a few days later and still, won't budge from either offer.

SV is plenty common, but the VTP seems hard to find used around this area.

So SV RWD for $20k-$23k range, or a dealer an hour away with a '16 4WD SV, 16k miles, $24500 vs a '15 PRO-4X, 21k, listed just under $29k. Had no intention to look at it due to the price as I'd placed $25k as my soft cap (want to buy, not needing to, and money is no issue except I don't want to spend it, lol).

Nearly two weeks of being in contact with a salesman via email, and his manager looking at my trade last weekend while we were there to confirm the near payoff offer they've made ($1500 more than the first dealer), and they nearly have me in the PRO-4X for $26500 list.

Any thoughts or input from model comparisons, anything specific to be aware of on these, or thoughts on pricing?

'15 PRO-4X, 21k miles, approx. $27500 OTD. It's the dark blue color, no lux package or roof rack (wish it had the rack...) and does have the full graphics (that hood thing has to go). I didn't expect to be in a PRO-4X and didn't intend on 4WD but seems mpg difference is minimal in the Frontier and they've had this truck long enough that they want it gone.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Where are you located?

It looks like there are still new left over 2016 Frontiers in my area (Washington DC metro). And some of the dealer websites have a list price of $25500 for SV crew cab 4x4 short bed and looks like one listing includes the value truck package.. Not sure if it'd be a case of a bait and switch or if that price includes incentives and rebates not everyone qualifies for.

But at that price I'd be willing to consider it if the timing and finances are right.

Also when I did a search before on cars.com there are supposedly still some new 2015 Titans floating around. The closest one to me at the time was like 200 miles away though. So am not sure how much that would be able to be negotiated down.

And when I looked at Carmax at one point they had several 2012 Titan crew cabs SVs 4x4 for about $22k to $25k. I believe the mileage was less than 50k. But I think the ones that were previously in my area weren't listed anymore when I checked later on.

I'm kind of partial to the first gen Titan, which is why I look at it from time to time.

When I bought the Frontier in 2007 the SV truck value package basically came with everything that I wanted. The things that it didn't come with at the time that I wanted later were a hitch, which I think it comes with now. And a roof rack. If it doesn't come with it from the factory it, you'll need to get some reinforcements that go between the liner and the roof to install the OEM rack. A backup camera would also have been nice and I think might come standard with the truck now.

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
If they have the 'truck you love', then they 'have you' and will budge less = it's a game for sure.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You should read through this thread: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f28/what-did-you-pay-your-frontier-dealership-26226/index36.html

Compare the deal you are getting with what others are getting for similar trucks.

$27,500 OTD is getting really close to what lots of us have paid for NEW 16 or 17 SV CC 4WD models. Since 4WD isn't even a must have for you, maybe a NEW SV is better than a USED Pro-4x? Personally, that is the route I would go. Used cars always have some kind of story... Don't get me wrong, I've had lots of used cars. New cars just seem to work out for me more often.

Also, if you can find a SV CC 4WD Manual Transmission, you'll notice the VTP is standard and included in the base price : ) Plus, stick shifts are so much more fun to drive than automatics!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm in Louisiana. And no desire for full sized. I was considering a Frontier or Xterra theee years back when I kept with Nazsa and got the CX-5 largely based on good experiences with our other Mazda and wanting to keep the good gas mileage (27-29 mpg mixed, lol). No need for the size of a larger truck, no desire to regularly drive such, despite acknowledging the gas mileage is solid on all the newer ones and price isn't much more.

I did start looking around at new SV models (VTP and RWD or FWD). VTP is a near must as I want the rear camera, prefer the spray in liner with the track system, hitch is included and one less cost later, and the other bits are a bonus.

They have me on this PRO-4X in large part with the best trade offer I've had so far. $12500 from the dealer with the used '16 SV VTP, $14k trade on the PRO-4X, and $13500 from another Nissan trading on new. Bottom line, anything under $14k and we're adding it to the new cost offsetting some of the markdown, then it's a game of which do I want for roughly the same price?

New RWD SV VTP or '15 PRO-4X w/ 21k. From lurking around here I definitely have seen some numbers on good markdowns, which got me looking at new models, but definitely wouldn't be looking at new PRO-4X models.

Now, stop trying to up-sell me on Titans! Lol.

Tim, thanks. Hadn't noticed that thread but exactly what I'm looking for!

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
I would test drive both of them. The Pro-4x has the nicer seats where the SV may or may not. The Pro-4X has bilstien shocks that are valved a little softer and the Pro-4X has a slightly taller tire so overall it may ride much smoother.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There's plenty of used pro4-x models near me for 25k with low miles..that's the only way I would go lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the input and direction, gents. I plan to go Saturday morning to thoroughly look over the PRO-4X and test drive. We glanced at it last weekend when on their lot to look at my trade, but didn't look much at it due to initial price. Definitely seeing that an a new SV w/ VTP can be had for similar price or even a little less, though new 4WD options within a reasonable drive are few and far between so I don't expect much budge on that. Have them currently right at where I want on the price of the PRO-4X and that's the absolute most I'm willing to spend on this purchase; we're actually $230 apart to get payoff on my trade but I'm expecting word today that they'll do it (lol). Figure the extra $2500 over my initial OTD goal is probably worth it long run for the 4WD and few extras that even a "baseline" PRO-4X provides.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks again for the input and direction, gents. I plan to go Saturday morning to thoroughly look over the PRO-4X and test drive. We glanced at it last weekend when on their lot to look at my trade, but didn't look much at it due to initial price. Definitely seeing that an a new SV w/ VTP can be had for similar price or even a little less, though new 4WD options within a reasonable drive are few and far between so I don't expect much budge on that. Have them currently right at where I want on the price of the PRO-4X and that's the absolute most I'm willing to spend on this purchase; we're actually $230 apart to get payoff on my trade but I'm expecting word today that they'll do it (lol). Figure the extra $2500 over my initial OTD goal is probably worth it long run for the 4WD and few extras that even a "baseline" PRO-4X provides.
The Nissan USA website lists inventory for all dealers. I did a search in LA and was surprised to find zero SV CC 4WD MT trucks! You're right, the 4WD options are really limited in your area. You have to go to AR, GA or TX to find much. I'm from the South (MS) but didn't realize 2WD trucks were so popular. Where I live now (Utah), it's just the opposite, very few 2WD options. RWD only trucks are a liability in the snow and ice.

·
Registered
374 Posts
and they've had this truck long enough that they want it gone.
^^^And that is where you budge. Some tips that I can give you is do not tell them (the dealer) that you "love the truck", just tell them that "I will take it but with a negotiation on the price." Now in reference to the quote above, if they have had it that long to the point that they want to get rid of it, I would go ahead and start negotiating the price with them because I am sure that nobody gave it an offer due to the price they are asking for. (27k for a basic pro4x is not a good deal :serious:) If you made a conditional offer, (and if they are smart and not dumba$$es) they would see this as an opportunity to get rid of the truck and might accept it. This same scenario happened with me when I was looking at a damn basic CC Fronty last week. The truck has been on the market for 8 months and nobody placed any offer on it. I went to look at it, loved it (did not tell them that of course) and gave them my offer for 20k. They gave me the usual BS of "Oh I am sorry I cannot offer you this damn basic CC Fronty for 20k. That is too low however I can offer you this Fronty King cab SV for 2k more". I walked out on them and they were so F-ing surprised that I did that to the point that they bombarded me with phone calls and emails and all that other hooplah. In the end, I got the Fronty that I loved for the price that I love.::grin:: When dealers want to make the right deal, then they will get the right customers. When dealers want to make the dumb deals, they will get the wrong customers. :serious:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^^And that is where you budge. Some tips that I can give you is do not tell them (the dealer) that you "love the truck", .... (27k for a basic pro4x is not a good deal :serious:) If you made a conditional offer, (and if they are smart and not dumba$$es) they would see this as an opportunity to get rid of the truck and might accept it. ... I walked out on them and they were so F-ing surprised that I did that to the point that they bombarded me with phone calls and emails and all that other hooplah. In the end, I got the Fronty that I loved for the price that I love.::grin:: When dealers want to make the right deal, then they will get the right customers. When dealers want to make the dumb deals, they will get the wrong customers. :serious:
Oh, I'm with you all the way. We started with these guys on the premise of likely selling my CX-5 outright, as I knew they had a 2015 S, 2016 SV 4WD (no VTP), and 2015 Pro for 29k (too much). We did look at the S but realize... wait a sec, we won't be happy with this and no power anything. SV 4WD was on a different lot of theirs so didn't see it, and glanced quickly at the Pro knowing I wasn't willing. Been talking to the guy via email for a week before we drove the hour out there. "My" salesman was out sick so it was briefly that I dealt with the manager direct regarding the trade value. Anyway, more emails all week, me sticking pretty hard to $27k OTD, and he finally comes up with a text/picture of the "absolute lowest" they can do; $26500 +TTL (right at $27500 OTD when it all works out). And I'm waiting for that last little for payoff. Ha.

From looking around, I'm feeling as if the $26500 is a pretty solid list for it (despite being base Pro4x)... Maybe it's just my part of the country again (lol) because checking autotrader, CarMax, etc, and only found 2-3 priced better than that within 300 miles, under 30k miles. Anyway, I know what matters is what I'm personally happy with but did come looking for that kind of input to make sure we're in a decent ballpark!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Oh, I'm with you all the way. We did look at the S but realize... wait a sec, we won't be happy with this and no power anything.
Glad that you are with me all the way @sscott87. What S did you look at? A Crew Cab or a King Cab. I bought my S Crew Cab last week and everybody loves the manual windows and locks ahahahhahahahaa ::grin::::grin::::grin::::grin::::grin::::grin:: The 4.0 Liter V6 engine tho is verrrrrrrryyyyy powerful!!!! When I need the power, it is there and I mean there. I easily get to 3k RPM and boi I love the noise that it makes!!!::laugh::

From looking around, I'm feeling as if the $26500 is a pretty solid list for it (despite being base Pro4x)... Maybe it's just my part of the country again (lol) because checking autotrader, CarMax, etc, and only found 2-3 priced better than that within 300 miles, under 30k miles. Anyway, I know what matters is what I'm personally happy with but did come looking for that kind of input to make sure we're in a decent ballpark!
Just to get my 2 cents worth, if there was a 16 pro4x or even a 15 pro4x with really low mileage for 26k, I would have bought it on the spot. :nerd: That to me would have been a good deal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad I asked around here, looked further, and checked under a few more rocks. 2017 SV VTP 4WD for $28500 OTD vs. $27812 for the '15 base PRO-4X (21k).

New + 4WD, for only $3500 more than I planned to spend on a used RWD. Everything I wanted with the VTP plus some.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Glad I asked around here, looked further, and checked under a few more rocks. 2017 SV VTP 4WD for $28500 OTD vs. $27812 for the '15 base PRO-4X (21k).

New + 4WD, for only $3500 more than I planned to spend on a used RWD. Everything I wanted with the VTP plus some.
Auto or stick? King Cab or Crew Cab?

Did you pull the trigger?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Whoops, CC auto. Heading for the new one tonight. Only 4X4 this particular dealer has an hour away, more local dealer is smaller and won't touch what I'm getting on my trade.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Whoops, CC auto. Heading for the new one tonight. Only 4X4 this particular dealer has an hour away, more local dealer is smaller and won't touch what I'm getting on my trade.
Nice job. That's only $200 more than what I paid for my truck which is identical except MT instead of Auto. The MT was a must have for me - but the Autos are more expensive so sounds like you got a better deal. Congrats! I'm sure you'll love it.

Don't let finance hose you over with add-ons!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Meh. I'm not touching anything extra in financing. I've done the extended warranty on both our Mazdas, never needed it, and feel good about the Frontier (in part because they ARE so "old" and thus must be solid to keep selling, right?! Lol).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts