Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am looking to buy a Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab, and when I price one out on Nissan's site, it comes to something like $23,845 for the one I want. When I go to the Nissan dealer, they are about $26,000. I dont get it. What would these trucks have? They are the SE. I thought you could get an LE Crew for that price. Please help. Also, I am wondering if I need a crew cab or a king cab. I am only 16 and this will be my first truck. I dont know if I even need the Crew Cab or not. I dont know. I would like to see what everyone thinks about this. Do you have a crew or a king? Let me know, and also tell me if (if you have a king cab) if it is enough room in the back for people to sit back there. It wouldnt be often that people would be in it. Anyways, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Hey, well I am 24 no wife, no kids but I bought a crew cab, why I just felt if I needed the space it was there. As for the price my truck was also listed for 26k, but I got them down to 22k. My truck is a SE CC 4x4, with the power and tow package. Im pretty sure you could get a better price than I did, my attitude was that I wasnt going to drive my truck home unless I got the best deal and it worked.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
45 Posts
i'll throw inmy .02 cents. if you don't think you'll need the back seat, why spend the money. however, i'm inclined to believe that, as time passes on, you'll have less re-sle value on a king vs. crew. that is strictly my opinion and is no way based in fact. but, i will tell you this, i had a x-tra cab dodge before i bought my nissan. i placed a wanted ad for it in the local paper and had very few bites on it. the few calls i did have were people looking for a 4-door. i ultimately traded it in. while i did take less than i potentiall could have made on re-sale, i was still able to get top dollar for my trade.

as far as buying a truck / pricing goes. i'd suggest you spend $25 and go to consumerreports. org (maybe .com) and buy a new vehicle report. it will tell you exactly what the dealership has paid for the truck and what a "fair" price for the truck would be. (4% - 8% over invoice less any dealer hold-backs.) i used their report for negotiating purposes my truck and gave just over $20,000 for my crew cab. it's an se model with power package. it can be a very valuable tool.

good luck with whatever you decide!!

·
SHIFT_Otaku(Assist - Adm)
1,482 Posts
I think the extra bed space is more so worth it than teh passenger space...

and on the price... remember you are the customer, you are in control, and you can find another nissan dealership.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Which cab?... Think about how much bed space and usage you really need and whether or not you plan on having many passengers. Crews offer the advantage of more lockable storage area without having to go with a bed cover/shell. Kings will offer slightly more gas mileage.

Watch out for the typical dealer's price on the window, they are usually inflated by dealer add-ons/services. Another way to shop is Costco's auto buying program.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
55 Posts
My sugestion is to get him a OLD rugged truck that has some potential, make him work to improve the quality of it. He'll learn to appreciate what he has.

But if you insist, I'd try to keep it basic for him, don't load him up with features. Just get him the V-6 and maybe the power package and let him play with it. All kids love to tinker, give him room to tinker.

I paid 19,200 for my 06 NIssan Frontier CC SE, no power package but I did get the bed extender and utili track which I could have swapped for the power package for about equal value. Granted I did get a 1500 rebate. Invoice price was 21003 before rebate. You have to be clear with them, you want the best price and get other dealers involved for your business. I only talked with one in person but I got others involved through locating dealers on NissanUSA.com and emailing them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh BTW, while me and the salesman was playing the pricing game he tried to be tricky with me and I caught him. So I walked out on him, I knew he would get the manager and they would chase after me so I took my time and sure nuff they did. After that, I told them to show me invoice and they quit the BSing and showed it to me. Sometimes you have to make a statement, be in charge. Believe me, they are making money off the back end, so just because invoice saids 21003 that doesn't mean there not making anything on it. On top of that Dealers like to move trucks, makes them look good with the manufacturer.

Just do your research, you could save alot of money!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
My decision to go with the KC was base mostly on the bed size, if the CC would of had a 6' bed I might of bought it instead. The KC is really not set up to carry passangers unless maybe small kids. But I do like the looks of the KC better.

I got internet quotes for as much as $1000 over to $500 under invoice. I went with my local dealer because the owner was willing to special order exactly what I wanted, still sell at invoice plus the rebate and add on a few extra goodies.

My suggestion - go look at em, drive em and see what best fits your needs. I spent a couple of months just looking, test driving, talking to owners before I decided what I wanted and that changed several times. Even thought at first I was going to buy a Tacoma, and then a Titan...of course the Frontier won out!

A great truck, good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
6 Posts
also of interest, a local paper is advertising '06 SE King cab SE auto 4.0l for $17,990 on sticker prices of $22,200-$22,719(five for sale). There is no way to get to this number unless there is dealer cash. I believe there may be $1500 dealer cash and $1500 rebate available right now. I am looking at buying too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Good thing about getting a KC at your age, is that your friends want be trying to bum rides all the time since it so cramped back there.

Will

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks everyone! I dont know. I like how the king looks better but i think the crew might be better to get. any more replies will be greatly appreciated! Thanks. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
opps, I misunderstood you, thought you were buying it for your son.

My advice is to prepare yourself before you talk to a salesman. Know what you want before hand and know what invoice pricing would be on it, you can usually get a good idea just by looking around on the internet without demanding to see it from the dealer.

·
Registered
737 Posts
First, go and test drive until you know exactly what you want and the dream fully loaded truck you really want of the dsame model , but probably can't afford it. Build your trucks on the Nissan site just to see what options are grouped together and to find the trucks at a dealership. This will give you a good idea of what's available. Drive to that dealership and test drive. Do not underestimate how important it is to test drive the truck you want just in case you change your mind. Better to change your mind before the truck is bought, obviously. If its the right color too, all the better. Once you know exactly what you want, you don't have to go to the dealerships anymore except to pay.

The rest will be emails and phone calls.

Second, go on www.edmunds.com and build your trucks. It will give you the invoice price and the price most people are paying for that truck in your area. This will let you know if you are at least getting a better than average deal.

Use the feature that will have the dealers send you quotes via the internet for the base model ( the one with the minimum options you want). Sometimes they give you a qoute via email and sometimes they call you and give you a price over the phone. If they will not give you a price then they are not serious about dealing so ignore these dealerships. Tell the person with the best price on the base, to then give you a qoute on the one with all the options. Do not worry if the truck is not at the dealership with the best price, they will get the truck for you no matter where it is. The reason you do the one you can afford and the dream truck with the options is the one with more options tends to have a higher percentage knocked off the price and you will probably see there isn't that much difference in the price since the mark up is higher on the options and they have more room to play with the prices. Also, you can use the less loaded truck as leverage and pretend that your going to have to get the cheaper one unless they can come down more on the fully loaded one. They will probably come down in price since thay will still make more money than the base one, but not much. Also, tell them your wife or girlfriend, or dad etc. , is telling you to get the base model and to please give you the final best deal possible on the fully loaded one.

After all that, just a couple of days and about 10 phone calls or emails, you will then have both prices. Call a couple of dealerships and ask for internet sales and see if they can beat those prices. If they can't tell you over the phone then tell them to email you a better price. If they don't, they can't beat it.

Don't be afraid to be somewhat of an ahole, they will respect you for it

That's how I did it anyway. I found its a waste of time to go to dealerships except to test drive only. In the rest of the business world, its all handled through email and phone calls, and this can be also. Hopefully, you will find that sales guy who realizes you will only settle for the best deal possible and build a rapport with him. The sad thing is you may not buy it from him in the end. He can handle it, if not, he wouldn't be in sales.

Make sure you double check the final price before signing but you will find with the internet sales guys are true to their word. The funny thing is a lot of times they are the regular sales guys too, they just have a different approach then if you are at the dealership.

I got a CC 06 Nismo 4x4 fully loaded, $31,405 list price, for $26, 505. That's almost $5000 off the list price doing this. Did include the $1500 rebate. Maybe is wasn't the absolute best deal ever, but it was a damn good one in my eyes.

Did the same thing on my wifes Camry , too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
538 Posts
The only thing I would add to Coldfire's awesome discertation is to save 3 to 4 months of payments and see If not having the money is an issue to you.

Also make sure the configuration is going to work for you 2 to 3 years into the future.
what I mean is, make sure the KC is going to be perfect for you while you are upside down in your payments.
The worse thing is not being able to get rid of a vehicle because you owe more then its worth.

20k dollar truck at 16 years old.
You are either very lucky or very rich, or both.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I purchased a KC because I like the looks of it better than the CC and I like the room in the bed which I use quite often. The rear jump seats are not good at all for carrying
anyone for any distance. Maybe at 16 you might be able to stand it, but at 68 I certainly
cannot. I also picked a KC over a CC because I wanted an LE and I did not want a roof rack.

You have received a lot of very good advice on this forum now you must take this advice and make a decision based on your individual needs both for now and in the near future. If you plan on carrying your friends at all I would pick the CC. if on the
other hand you don't want your friends using you for a taxi service then the KC would be the ticket.

Good luck.

OkieScot

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well Im 21 and bought a Crew Cab for 25,000 out the door with power package, sun roof, bed extender, side steps, tow package.

I bought the crew cab because I take frequent road trips with friends and need the extra space for passangers.

When the 2005 models first came out the list price on my SE was 27,000 + with the sun roof and extras but I got them down to 25,000 out the door and had them throw in a set of factory side steps which I eventually traded with another forum member for his black manik step bars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks everyone! :) all the advice given here was helpful.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i got a 05 CC LE 4X2. i used to own a 04 KC XE, then traded it rightaway when the redesign 2005 came out. To tell you honestly, i got lot of regrets owning a KC. First of all, i dont used the long bed often and you'll never know when you gonna need that extra seats at the back. Its better to have a extra room inside than a extra room outside. For some few extra grant, its worth the investment of owning a CC. Hope this will help you decide.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts