Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier LE Crew Cab
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you guys pay for a 2004 Nissan Frontier LE 1 owner dealer maintained 150k miles. Parked in a garage when it’s not being driven. Clean truck inside and out, He said make him a offer, I’ve looked the price up but I don’t want to insult him with a offer.. HELP!?!?

·
Super Moderator
10,763 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What numbers are you seeing online, it’s 17 years old so I imagine somewhere in the 5000-6000 range, am I close to what you came across?

Clint

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. What numbers are you seeing online, it’s 17 years old so I imagine somewhere in the 5000-6000 range, am I close to what you came across?

Clint
Private party is $4100 high end, trade in $2100-$2500 but knowing how dealerships work he’d be lucky to get $1500. And if he sold it to someone else he doesn’t know even with it booking out at $4100 private party he’s got to take into effect it’s a Nissan, it’s 17 years old I think someone would talk him down to $2500-2800. It’s a truck for my son who’s 16 I don’t want to insult him but I was thinking $2,000 max. It’s sat in the garage for the last 14 months he said he starts it once a month for 10 min to keep the battery charged.

Joel

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sounds like you’re about to insult him then, if it’s as clean as you say it is and with the low mileage it is worth more than you’re willing to offer.

I searched for 1st gens in my area on CL and everything from about $2-$3k has over 200k miles and are pretty beat.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I take it, it’s a 2wd, people will pay more than the book shows if they dont have to get a loan and have the cash. These older Nissan trucks are getting more and more popular as people see high mileage out of them. Trucks are going up all the time, I can’t believe what Carvana is asking for all their frontiers, ridiculous prices for 10 year old trucks. You better hurry and throw him an offer before some other father jumps on it.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I was thinking $2,000 max.
That sounds like a sure-fire recipe for disappointment.

Any pickup that runs will sell for more than $2K - regardless of age, condition or mileage.

In this case, you would be buying a truck that's apparently in very good condition, from a private party - and your offer should reflect that.

Reactions: RLC2020

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
913 Posts
I'd say he could probably get $4k for it if he tried, however he doesn't need it, so he would probably take less. I dunno about $2k though, that's a bit low. However, if you offer $2k he may counter and ask to meet halfway at $3k and I think that'd be fair for both...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I take it, it’s a 2wd, people will pay more than the book shows if they dont have to get a loan and have the cash. These older Nissan trucks are getting more and more popular as people see high mileage out of them. Trucks are going up all the time, I can’t believe what Carvana is asking for all their frontiers, ridiculous prices for 10 year old trucks. You better hurry and throw him an offer before some other father jumps on it.
its 4WD. I wouldn’t even be looking at this if my son didn’t want a truck, I don’t consider this thing a truck at all, but he wants something he can put a lift kit in and a little bigger tires so he can take down a trail here and there, this is as close to as a truck as he will get because hes 16 and works 25 hours a week and will need to pay for his gas and insurance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You mentioned that you looked up the private party value to be $4100 at the high end. You mentioned that the truck is in clean condition. It’s has low miles for its age, one owner, well maintained, and garage kept. Seems like you stumbled across an amazing truck.

So what’s your reason to offer him less than half of the private party value you looked up?

Seems like $2k is low ball offer based on what you have described. He probably looked up the value himself and knows what is fair and would be insulted by that number. I would be.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
The key in this transaction is not to be the first to insult the seller. After a little pounding, the price will come down. These original owners think highly of their vehicle and it takes time for them to realize market value.

Within the last two weeks there have been at least two posts from owners of newly purchased older trucks that have been devastated by ruined engines or transmissions. Make sure you have a mechanic check it out before you buy.

In 2006, I sold a 1992 4 cyl Ford Ranger with 130k miles for $2k. This would translate to $2.5k today. I was happier than a pig in shyt as I only paid $6k 8 years earlier. The buyer bought for their son.

·
Super Moderator
10,763 Posts
The listed value you saw was based on some method (recent sales by state) of determination so that is a benchmark to go by, why half it, that’s a huge amount.
If it’s as nice as you say it is you better up your amount as there aren’t many out there just like it.

Clint

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow, just wow. $2k offer for a clean low mileage 4X4 truck with no issues? Do you have any idea what the market is like right now? People just got their stimulus money and tax returns are coming soon, the lower priced stuff on CL and marketplace are already selling quickly. You can't offer half of retail value and not expect to insult someone. That said, if he is asking $2500, then $2,000 is a fair starting negotiation point. But if he is asking $4k-$5k then he will probably tell you to take a hike. I know I would.

If you can only afford $2k then go look at vehicles for that price. I friggin' hate it when people make stupid low offers on stuff I have for sale. I price things right and always sell for asking or close to it. I just ignore the time wasters that try to get a deal.

·
Premium Member
6,433 Posts
Ask to have a competent mechanic give it his one-over.
Worst case scenario:
Better to spend $125-$200 for the above and have him tell you to not buy it, than to start finding some bizarre money pit rabbit hole.
I'm betting $1 it'll be a fine truck, but you never really know until you're down the road a ways.

·
Registered
262 Posts
...I don’t consider this thing a truck at all

...this is as close to as a truck as he will get
What exactly do you consider a truck? A Frontier is more truck than a lot of other automobiles with a cargo bed.

As others have said, a $2000 offer on a clean 4WD isn't the best idea, risk pissing the guy off where he may not negotiate. $4000 seems a good deal for what you describe.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You know, it is kind of funny how most have replied in favor of the Owner and the truck instead of JM603, who doesn't like deals? I mean, would you guys really offer market value on a truck that no matter how well it looks and works? Its not a new truck anymore no matter how we look at it. Heck, even on new trucks people haggle with the price, nobody walks into a Dealer and just says "I would take it for the sticker price..." Or maybe there are people that do... Now, sounds to me like the owner is not really in need to sell it, so maybe he knows and wants the truck to go to someone that would use it? If it was me, I would just be insisting on Owner to name its price and go from there to see if negotiation can work, probably where we both feel its fair.
The owner by saying "make me an offer", makes me think that he probably has a pretty good idea of what the truck is worth, and maybe thinks prospective buyer is uninformed thus yielding him a bigger number than what he knows the truck is valued at...

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
You know, it is kind of funny how most have replied in favor of the Owner and the truck instead of JM603, who doesn't like deals? I mean, would you guys really offer market value on a truck that no matter how well it looks and works? Its not a new truck anymore no matter how we look at it. Heck, even on new trucks people haggle with the price, nobody walks into a Dealer and just says "I would take it for the sticker price..." Or maybe there are people that do... Now, sounds to me like the owner is not really in need to sell it, so maybe he knows and wants the truck to go to someone that would use it? If it was me, I would just be insisting on Owner to name its price and go from there to see if negotiation can work, probably where we both feel its fair.
The owner by saying "make me an offer", makes me think that he probably has a pretty good idea of what the truck is worth, and maybe thinks prospective buyer is uninformed thus yielding him a bigger number than what he knows the truck is valued at...
A seller that says: "make me an offer" is in my opinion seeking a high price. It puts the buyer at a disadvantage since he does not want to insult the seller. The key for the buyer is to not be fixated on one truck. The seller will sense it and reel in the fish.

·
Registered
354 Posts
OP comes to a Frontier site, insults the audience. Then prepares to insult the seller with less than trade in value. Good luck
with all that.

·
Super Moderator
10,763 Posts
The seller should just state a price and let the discussions start from there.

Clint

·
Registered
496 Posts
The seller should just state a price and let the discussions start from there.

Clint
I’m sure he probably did.. the for sale sign in his window probably says something like $3500 b/o.

oh, and I bet cheapskate OP will never be heard from again..

🤷‍♂️

1 - 20 of 25 Posts