Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking for a while for a method to mount a winch to the front of my truck without having to do major surgery and have to hack up parts of the frame to have it sit flush inside the front bumper mount.

PRG recently released a plate mount for the Xterra to mount a winch in our front bumper but they are not sure it will fit the Frontier yet.

Has anyone tried it yet? my goal is to make something that sits flush in the bumper and i don't have to hack up the plastic front like the PRG image shows.

Wondering if anyone has had any luck with it.

Link to plate: PRG Products

some pics below ( last pic is the look desired)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
IIRC that last pic, they still had to hack up plastic to get it all to fit in there... but it does look cleaner compared to the Xterra piece. I'm not a winch professional (LOL) but from the looks of it, the only thing I'd wonder about is the position of the fairlead. I was told that if it's tucked under the bumper too much, you could end up in a situation where you have to winch at an angle where the cable would touch (and rub/cut into) body parts.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The Xterra frame horns are the same. So in theory, this mount will work. The opening on the frontier isn't as tall I don't think, so you may need to do some extra time Immingham. Also there is a thin metal bracket that runs behind the bumper that will need to be trimmed as well.

This is not the same mount as the prg, it's a rockymtnx winch mount (no longer made) and it fits perfectly on the frontier, and originally designed for the Xterra.

So... You should be good to get the mount. The only reason I didn't was because I got a better deal on the rockymtnx mount. Plus the mount I got has wings on the side to keep the crush area intact Incase of a wreck.

The metal bracket in front of the selenoid box is what I had to trim. There's a mounting tab for the front grill that I had to cut off. The grill is still sturdy with no worries of falling out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
So far all the bumper mouth mounts I've seen will need some cutting of the front bumper unless you do something custom like the picture you showed. I'd be worried about having the winch tucked so far back for anything other than just straight line pulls myself plus its nice having the D ring mounts is nice. Black Widow Gear nissan xterra winch bumper also makes a hidden mount.

Reactions: wilallin

·
Registered
808 Posts
The black widow mount is a copy of the one I have. It is also not assembled I believe. You have e to weld it together. But if you order it, it's a good deal because of the price exchange from Canada to USA.

Some trimming will need to be done, no matter what. It's not that much trimming.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts