Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had this cover sitting on the self for about a year now. Stock diff cover leaking the whole time. Am in the process of installing it. A couple of things to note. The new diff does not come with a bracket for the diver side e-brake cover. Greg at PRG says that most people just zip tie. I cut a ~1" section of aluminum angle iron (2"?) I had laying around and drilled some holes and ground a small section down. Fits perfect.

Last night I was installing it with gasket maker. Another thing that I noticed was that there is a little bit of play of the cover/bolt pattern/ and diff. With the bolts finger tight you can shift the cover up and down 1/8 inch or so. I installed it with the cover hanging on the bolts. Last night before falling asleep I was wondering if it would have been better to push the cover up and then tighten the bolts. When I eventually smack the cover on a rock it will be pushed up. Will this disrupt the gasket seal and cause a leak? Any thoughts ladies and gents?

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
How much of a lip is there as it sits now? Do you drag diff much? Have you considered a skid for the diff?

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much of a lip is there as it sits now? Do you drag diff much? Have you considered a skid for the diff?
I drag the diff a couple of times. Pulled the OE cover and pounded it flat as well as filed down the incurred lip. Sealed it up and it was good for about 6 months , then it started leaking again.

I have checked and topped off the fluid many times due to this leak and the one on my axle seals. Never low.

I have considered and dismissed the idea of getting a diff skid. I don't really drag the diff much. This cover has a 1" thick lower lip and should take a bit of beating. All the diff skids I have seen are a pretty hooky clamp on affair. Alot of rubicon jeep come through my town. Many have a aluminum diff cover similar to this one. They seem to take a beating.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Your cover looks great. Think you'd be good once you torque the bolts down. Though you mention about skids, for piece of mind(and the one time it may happen), I'd go with the Shrock Works RD Cover but would check if compatible with your new cover - it seems would address some of your concerns. I didn't see to many reviews on PRG covers. Wouldn't hurt to check with them on how much punishment they are able to take.

I too had finally replaced my cover due to the stupid design flaw with these. I went with ARB and Mag-Hytec gasket - what's nice about the ARB is it came with a bracket. Freakin' thing looks bullet proof.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your cover looks great. Think you'd be good once you torque the bolts down. Though you mention about skids, for piece of mind(and the one time it may happen), I'd go with the Shrock Works RD Cover but would check if compatible with your new cover - it seems would address some of your concerns. I didn't see to many reviews on PRG covers. Wouldn't hurt to check with them on how much punishment they are able to take.

I too had finally replaced my cover due to the stupid design flaw with these. I went with ARB and Mag-Hytec gasket - what's nice about the ARB is it came with a bracket. Freakin' thing looks bullet proof.
I wouldn't think you would need a rear diff skid for that "one time" situation. I had taken a dozen hits to my diff before I peeled back my cover. And I have even pounded back, filed smooth, and re sealed it twice before I went with a new diff cover.

If you are taking about shrock's cover. It is essentially a beef cover like the PRG or ARB you have, not a true skid.

4x4 parts makes a skid but it is a little hooky. But it is a true skid.

4x4 Parts - Frontier Rear Differential Skid Plate APAC05FRTREARDIFFD44BLK - Your #1 Source for Nissan Aftermarket Parts!

The nicest looking rear diff skid for our trucks are made by rocky road.

Nissan Titan/Armada, 4x4 Differential protection, guard

But for the amount of smashing I do to my diff, I feel that just a beef cover will sufice.

Here is a write up from Greg (PRG) comparing the various diff covers.
BTF=Blue torch fab.

MHT=Mag Tech

-weight...PRG is lightest, ARB heaviest, BTF and MHT in the middle
-Leaks proof...PRG, MHT, and ARB both have machined mating surfaces...no leaks welded cover, well..
-Capacity.....MHT is most, PRG second, BTF then ARB...this really is trivial as the extra capacity will get you and extra 30 sec before failure if there is ever an issue..but the ARB is less than stock.
-Cooling....Stock titan is best, then MHT, PRG, BTF, then ARB
-smash protection...ARB, PRG, BTF, MHT
-dragging over rocks protection....PRG and ARB tie, BTF and MHT can both bend and leak
-Price...BTF $130-ish, PRG $149, ARB $199, MHT $220-ish

·
Registered
532 Posts

I just ordered the ARB as well. How was the install and where did you get the gasket from?

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just ordered the ARB as well. How was the install and where did you get the gasket from?
Install was easy. An impact will really help removing the XX number of bolts. There are a lot of them. Used gasket sealant (liquid from a tube). THe only gasket out there is the magtec one.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
If you are taking about shrock's cover. It is essentially a beef cover like the PRG or ARB you have, not a true skid. 4x4 parts makes a skid but it is a little hooky. But it is a true skid.

The nicest looking rear diff skid for our trucks are made by rocky road. But for the amount of smashing I do to my diff, I feel that just a beef cover will suffice.
Good info - thanks! Think I saw your cover at a 4wheelparts truck show in Orlando a month ago or so - they were of course heavy on Jeeps there but they do seem built to take a beating.

Was fortunate to have my Dad's mechanic install mine - he did it in less than 30 minutes.

The Mag-Hytec gasket was ordered through them directly - shipping was ridiculous though. The gasket was $18 and shipping was around $21 for a 1/2 lb. item(though shipped from CA to FL).

You can thank me for complaining about it in late August. Looks like they bumped up the price now to $28 to justify the high shipping charge.

::grin::

Attachments

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Good info - thanks! Think I saw your cover at a 4wheelparts truck show in Orlando a month ago or so - they were of course heavy on Jeeps there but they do seem built to take a beating.

Was fortunate to have my Dad's mechanic install mine - he did it in less than 30 minutes.

The Mag-Hytec gasket was ordered through them directly - shipping was ridiculous though. The gasket was $18 and shipping was around $21 for a 1/2 lb. item(though shipped from CA to FL).

You can thank me for complaining about it in late August. Looks like they bumped up the price now to $28 to justify the high shipping charge.

::grin::
Thats right. I knew there was a reason that I did not buy the magtec gasket.

WOW jsut on their site. Looks like $50+ for that gasket shipped. **** those guys!

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just looking at diff covers I came across this Dana44 gasket. It is the single use paper type but the price is a better than the magtech. $8 for the gasket but shipping will still cost $20. Though it is for a straight D44 would it fit the m266?

DAN34685

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thats right. I knew there was a reason that I did not buy the magtec gasket.

WOW jsut on their site. Looks like $50+ for that gasket shipped. **** those guys!
The shipping shows $21 on their site but when you order it they adjust the shipping. I paid $2.60 for shipping on it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The shipping shows $21 on their site but when you order it they adjust the shipping. I paid $2.60 for shipping on it.

Good to know. How did they adjust the shipping. Does it just appear at check out?

Hopefully I will never remove my diff cover again. But if I do I will reconsider the magtech cover if shipping is really that cheap.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Good to know. How did they adjust the shipping. Does it just appear at check out?

Hopefully I will never remove my diff cover again. But if I do I will reconsider the magtech cover if shipping is really that cheap.
Even after checkout it shows the high shipping. When it comes there's a paper receipt that shows the adjustment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts