Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
about 5 yrs ago i had the PRG advanced coil over kit installed. it's been a great performer all around, ride quality, off road clearance, weight bearing, etc. the rear Bils (one anyways) has leaked badly and is likely shot. i'll replace both soon. PITA but i guess they don't last all that long.

the issue i'm having and concerned about is the loud squeaking that started this winter from the front end. i had no idea what it was, there is so much going on up front. i brought it to the place that installed it and they put it on the hoist and grabbed the wheels. massive squealing just turning by hand and they pinpointed it to the UCA ball joint. (heim joint?). they sprayed it with teflon spray and it lessened the noise considerably, but it's coming back. slow speed turning is when it's most noticeable. it looks like there are 3 joints per UCA from pics and maybe it's all of them.

this brings up a few questions. a) anyone else experience this? solutions? b) what happens to this aftermarket suspension as it breaks down? can any of the parts be replaced? the heim joints? my suspension guy is very good and they specialize in HD springs for trucks, but i don't think they really know about this Nissan stuff and what to do about it.

any thoughts/advice welcome.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
This is a common issue with the UniBall setup after they get worn. I spray mine down regularly and it helps for a while.

I have tried dry lube, penetrating oil, WD40 and now use teflon spray. I find if I basically fill the 'cup' where the UniBall sits and let it soak in overnight, the noise is quieted for longer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, it does sound like that. and worse. how the hell do you rebuilt the UCAs??? oh, didn't see the first link... thanks. more questions coming....

·
Rogue Admin
13,347 Posts
You are lucky to get 5 years out of these UCAs heims, as mine have gotten destroyed many times, those uniball bearings just don't like our wet and salty climate. The bearings are almost impossible to find in BC - I looked at both of our biggest bearing importers and they don't have them and don;t want to bring them in. I have found sources in the States but usually need an American friend to buy them and then ship them to me.

My uniball bearings are shot once again, this one lasted about 6 or 7 months. In hindsight, I would never buy the PRG UCAs again living up here. I am considering new UCAs or possibly having my PRG UCAs modified at a fab shop to accept a sealed ball joint.

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
You are lucky to get 5 years out of these UCAs heims
I actually had the same thought as I only got 2 years out of my PRG Titan arms before they started making a little noise (which improved for a short time after applying a little silicone or Teflon as BCBrian suggested), and not even 3 years before they were in need of a rebuild (and at that point, lubricating them did absolutely nothing at all).

EDIT: OP, if your coilovers have never been rebuilt, this may be a good time to do that too.

These kinds of aftermarket parts are not "install it and forget it" items and they do require some maintenance.

·
Premium Member
12,043 Posts
You are lucky to get 5 years out of these UCAs heims, as mine have gotten destroyed many times, those uniball bearings just don't like our wet and salty climate. The bearings are almost impossible to find in BC - I looked at both of our biggest bearing importers and they don't have them and don;t want to bring them in. I have found sources in the States but usually need an American friend to buy them and then ship them to me.

My uniball bearings are shot once again, this one lasted about 6 or 7 months. In hindsight, I would never buy the PRG UCAs again living up here. I am considering new UCAs or possibly having my PRG UCAs modified at a fab shop to accept a sealed ball joint.
my climate is no where near comparable to yours and this is the reason i stayed away from non sealed after my very first set. they started pitting almost instantly no matter the amount of cleaning or greasing.
if i ever do a tswap build again ill stay stock titan or do that dirt king sealed titan unit. drool.

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
my climate is no where near comparable to yours and this is the reason i stayed away from non sealed after my very first set. they started pitting almost instantly no matter the amount of cleaning or greasing.
if i ever do a tswap build again ill stay stock titan or do that dirt king sealed titan unit. drool.
Or, SPC's with bushings and a sealed ball joint. That's what I decided on. hearing talk of uniballs going bad in 7 months scared me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would you guys have any idea what the size, product number or the technical description of the type of ball joint that is required? and are there just the 2, one per side or multiple? there may be a place in Canada that can source them but they need specifics. in that picture of the rebuild kit on the PRG site it looks like 2 different parts, 2 of one, and 4 of the other.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I replaced my titan UCA unibals less than 2 years ago and the little rain and dirt we get here has just about killed them already. Squealing on turns and such... Plan on looking into a sealed ball joint replacement eventually.

OP since you have PRG arms, almost certainly the unibals are bad at this point (1 per arm) additionally, the hiem joints are also not in good shape by now (2 per arm).
PRG sells a rebuild kit LINK for about $200us. If you want to source your own parts, I'd start by changing the unibals as they usually wear faster. Greg only uses FK rod ends and I believe the stock width arms use the 5/8" WSSX10T spherical bearing but I'm not 100%. A call to Greg will help you in that regard. Since you are in BC, you may just want to swap the arms out altogether with SPC arms as they are more weather tolerant.

Regarding other noises, I would not be the least bit surprised if the spherical bearings in the top and bottom of the Radflo's are also trash. Any signs of play here means they are bad.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
unfortunately, you can't get PRG stuff in Canada anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts