Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading on here long enough to understand the Frontier has a pretty flat leaf spring setup to begin with and it seems to flatten out pretty quick if you do any serious hauling. However, I've got just under 10K miles on my Frontier and when I crawled under the truck a couple weeks ago to do the rear diff breather mod, I noticed my leaf springs are almost completely flat. You can almost rest a straight edge flat on them, they are very slightly curved.

Also, I've noticed clean spots on the frame rails which appears I'm making somewhat regular contact with the bump stops. Furthermore, as I pointed out in another discussion, I've got literally 1/2" of rake. 35.5" rear and 35" front from a flat surface to the fender lip.

Stock suspension, never towed anything, daily driver. I don't haul much of anything beyond fishing poles and occasionally my mountain bike, less than 100 lbs of gear at a time.

Just curious. Is this an indication of premature sagging or has anyone else experienced this? Most Frontier stock suspensions I've read about have at least 1" to 1.5" of rake.

'16 4x4 CC. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I've been reading on here long enough to understand the Frontier has a pretty flat leaf spring setup to begin with and it seems to flatten out pretty quick if you do any serious hauling. However, I've got just under 10K miles on my Frontier and when I crawled under the truck a couple weeks ago to do the rear diff breather mod, I noticed my leaf springs are almost completely flat. You can almost rest a straight edge flat on them, they are very slightly curved.

Also, I've noticed clean spots on the frame rails which appears I'm making somewhat regular contact with the bump stops. Furthermore, as I pointed out in another discussion, I've got literally 1/2" of rake. 35.5" rear and 35" front from a flat surface to the fender lip.

Stock suspension, never towed anything, daily driver. I don't haul much of anything beyond fishing poles and occasionally my mountain bike, less than 100 lbs of gear at a time.

Just curious. Is this an indication of premature sagging or has anyone else experienced this? Most Frontier stock suspensions I've read about have at least 1" to 1.5" of rake.

'16 4x4 CC. Thanks in advance.

I have pretty much the same situation on my 16 CC SV 4x4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had 1" of rake pre lift/canopy. Got about .5 now which is where I wanted it to end up post lift/bags..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'm just surprised how level it sits.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My add a keaf setup worked well for years. Kept the springs arched. Now the setup is pretty overdue for replacement at 113000 miles. Titan leaf springs should be able to carry greater loads and can be solid junkyard finds. That plus xterra leaves (which are more arched than ours due to the fact that they are spring under). Im going that route.

There are a few writeups on clubfrontier and thenewx about hybrid leaf packs.

Prg race packs are probably awesome, as are the old man emu packs, they run aboit 800 to a grand shipped with bushings.

For your needs, an AAL will probably suffice. Good luck and enjoy the new ride. These trucks are great

·
Premium Member
6,070 Posts
That plus xterra leaves (which are more arched than ours due to the fact that they are spring under).
Hmmm. So, if one is using RideRite bags w/ OEM leaf springs, would this X-Terra swap/configuration simply not work WITH bags?

·
Registered
171 Posts

2"BL 3"SL w Alcan main leaves new, and Xterra Alcan pack, cut to size of course. It works but you have to almost double the main leaf otherwise axle wrap.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My add a keaf setup worked well for years. Kept the springs arched. Now the setup is pretty overdue for replacement at 113000 miles. Titan leaf springs should be able to carry greater loads and can be solid junkyard finds. That plus xterra leaves (which are more arched than ours due to the fact that they are spring under). Im going that route.

There are a few writeups on clubfrontier and thenewx about hybrid leaf packs.

Prg race packs are probably awesome, as are the old man emu packs, they run aboit 800 to a grand shipped with bushings.

For your needs, an AAL will probably suffice. Good luck and enjoy the new ride. These trucks are great
Well, I planned on probably going the Dakar leaf pack route when the time comes, but I figured that might be 50+k miles down the line or better, at least. I kind of feel like if I start doing any serious hauling it might be a lot sooner than that. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do the full OME lift right now and slap on 33s and call it good, that's what I really want to do, but I have a hard time justifying the cost of replacing parts that don't currently need replacing. Eventually I want a lift, but when I look at spending money on a want and not a need, and then realize it equals like 3 or 4 car payments, I can't justify it. lol.

However, I do own around 15 firearms and I only have two hands, so maybe I'm being a hypocrite.

Reactions: AFguy05

·
Premium Member
6,070 Posts
My DD/worktruck '15 SV (~27k on odo) routinely hauls +/- 600-650 lbs which includes my ARE topper (~175 lbs)...RideRite airbags already installed.

Wanting to retain stock ride height, are there other better aftermarket rear leaf options out there for when the time comes?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts