Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to do the oil change and wanted to get an idea of who is using what filter? I always used Bosch before. Also I recall reading that a new filter gasket is needed each time the filter is changed. Is this the case?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I use either napa gold or puralator for oil filters, I never recalled anything about replacing a gasket when changing a filter.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I use Nissan filters,i can get them at a good price. :) Same thing goes with drain plug washers.I got a bag of 50 just waiting to be opened.oh yeah i got them free.Its nice to have friends at the dealer.

·
Registered
320 Posts
friends dont let friends use FRAM

i use the napa filters, or nissan filter.
i didnt change my drain plug when i changed the oil.
ill probaly change it every 3-4 times i change the oil.

i do however change the oil and filter every ~3000 miles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I read on several forums that the FRAM oil filters are crap. I was just wondering if this is true why do people still use them? Maybe because its cheap? When Checkers has a sale I can buy 2 filters for around $7.00. But still I figured once people find out about the FRAM filters they would switch to something else and automotive stores would start stocking other brands. I dunno?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
COOL, I was just wondering about oil filters. I didn't realize K&N's were so... hmm... ill-favored? I had an 01 Camaro SS and we (F-Body crowd) use K&N's like it's the thing to do. Maybe for the racing/high-flow benefit of them. Who knows, all of those guys have probably moved on from K&N as well.

I still have 2 K&N's to go for the Frontier before changing up. Do any of you guys know the part #'s off the top of your head for the oil filters of your personal preference?

Napa - Purolator - Pure One? - etc?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Have a look at this link http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html I know that this is centered around Mopars, but the evidence and conclusions should stand for each brand. Up to now, I have used the Purolator Pure One filters. The dealer will be doing the oil and filter changes on this vehicle (service plan).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for the responses! This is exactly why I joined the forum. So from what I have read so far two things:
1) Need to grab the drain plug washers from the dealer
2) Better safe than sorry and at the same time grab some filter gaskets.

Guess it is better to do it per dealer specs than cut corners!

On a lighter side it is more fun checking out the threads after a couple of bevvies!

By the way the Ford Forum I lurked on had numerous posts as to how terrible the Fram filters were

Cheers

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nissan Filters only here, Ill have to get some of those drain plug washers and maybe even a extra drain plug.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I've used the NAPA NASCAR series filter the last two filter changes, they have the "swirl" technology! WooHoo! I also replace the crush washers on every oil change. The one really nice thing I can say about my dealership is they gave me a whole bag of crush washers for free! Apparently they were extremely overstocked and wanted to get rid of them! :lol:

·
Registered
83 Posts
For my first change I used the nissan filter but for the last two I've switched over to WIX. It's certainly of equivalent or better quality and a couple of bucks less. Change the drain plug washer each time or get the Fumoto Drain Valve like I did!

·
SHIFT_Otaku(Assist - Adm)
1,482 Posts
I am a large fan of the mobil 1 product line...

I love the filters, and after I get a thousand miles on mine, I am switching to 20/50 mobil 1 and using mobil 1 filters...

pricy oil change... @[email protected]

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
FastCrewCab said:
For my first change I used the nissan filter but for the last two I've switched over to WIX. It's certainly of equivalent or better quality and a couple of bucks less. Change the drain plug washer each time or get the Fumoto Drain Valve like I did!
And for those who may not know, the NAPA Series of Oil Filters are made by Wix, just in case you don't have a Wix distributor near by (like me).

·
Registered
83 Posts
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
And for those who may not know, the NAPA Series of Oil Filters are made by Wix, just in case you don't have a Wix distributor near by (like me).
Yes, I believe it's the NAPA GOLD filters that are made by WIX.

·
Registered
395 Posts
OK, stupid question but what is so bad about FRAM filters??. I use the FRAM Tough Guard filters and have never had a problem. I used them all the time on my old Ford Exploder. I would change them every 5000 miles and I had 186000 miles with no problems.
Just wondering??

Roy

·
SHIFT_Otaku(Assist - Adm)
1,482 Posts
explorerman said:
OK, stupid question but what is so bad about FRAM filters??. I use the FRAM Tough Guard filters and have never had a problem. I used them all the time on my old Ford Exploder. I would change them every 5000 miles and I had 186000 miles with no problems.
Just wondering??

Roy
I dont have any hard evidence...

accualy this is the first place I have ever hears anyone say anything negitive about an oil filter peroid...

please someone correct me...

but I think this may just be a ford vs chevy thing...

who cares about ford vs chevy... nissan pwns them all XD

1 - 20 of 33 Posts