Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Powertrax Locker C200

I have been in contact with Richmond Gear about producing a Powertrax Locker for the C200. John from Richmond said that they would look into producing the locker if there were enough people willing to buy one. The price will be some where around $450. Please respond to this thread if you are seriously interested in buying one. John is going to be reviewing this thread.

POWERTRAX® EXTREME TRACTION SYSTEMS

POWERTRAX BY RICHMOND VIDEO DEMOS

·
Registered
644 Posts
Subscribed. I'd definitely be interested in one. Be sure to post this up on thenewX.org also!

Just to clarify...the "PowerTrax Traction System" is more like TrueTrac (an LSD ?) ...so this part for the c200 won't be a true locker like their "Lock-Right" locker...or will it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
found this demo on youtube:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XalMpCC3oO0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XalMpCC3oO0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Looks just like the TruTrack. In my opinion I'd rather have a trutrack or similar than my locker because it would work all the time (not just 4x4 low) and there's no switch to engage or thinking about before you're stuck.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Looks just like the TruTrack. In my opinion I'd rather have a trutrack or similar than my locker because it would work all the time (not just 4x4 low) and there's no switch to engage or thinking about before you're stuck.

awing, i have a 2wd and want more offroad capabilities... would this be as effective in an offroad enviorment as a factory locker like nismos have?

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
id be in for sure its not a full locker but its better than a expensive axle swap and a full locker for the money it seems just right anything is better than the open diff we got right now

awing, i have a 2wd and want more offroad capabilities... would this be as effective in an offroad enviorment as a factory locker like nismos have?
no because when they flip the switch there fully locked up this would be less capable in hardcore off road situations but way better than stock

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have been in contact with Richmond Gear about producing a Powertrax Locker for the C200. John from Richmond said that they would look into producing the locker if there were enough people willing to buy one. The price will be some where around $450. Please respond to this thread if you are seriously interested in buying one. John is going to be reviewing this thread.

POWERTRAX® EXTREME TRACTION SYSTEMS

POWERTRAX BY RICHMOND VIDEO DEMOS
When he's done, please convince him to make one for the M205 and R180 front differentials as well! To be honest I'd rather see one of those made before a C200 locker...

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The odds are there will never be a locker or lsd for the r180. It is just too weak for extreme duty since it is an aluminum case. Now, if they made a replacement diff entirely, that would be best but unlikely.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no because when they flip the switch there fully locked up this would be less capable in hardcore off road situations but way better than stock
According to John at Richmond this is a limited slip that will engage into a full locker.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, I wouldn't know entirely but it will allow one wheel to slip momentarily, maybe a turn or two before locking, so that wouldn't make a difference at all I wouldn't think.

The other thing with these locking-lsd units is that if one wheel is entirely free (off the ground) it acts like an open diff until you give it some resistance. That's as easy as stepping on the brake a bit while you gas it and it will lock up and pull you out. With the ABLS system most of the higher trims have this would happen automatically. Although if you have a C200 I don't think you have ABLS anyways.

I found a good explanation of these type of differentials: Detroit TrueTrac® Differential

The author there says that when one wheel is off the ground his 4-cylinder toyota has trouble locking the wheel with the brakes. A true locking differential (air or electrical) would simply NOT have this issue. The VQ40 could probably lock up a trutrack or powertrax without too much issue though.

Someone call me on this if I'm wrong. :noworries:

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
According to John at Richmond this is a limited slip that will engage into a full locker.
dude thats awesome im so in streetability plus off road capability and its the only one for the c200 :)

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
When he's done, please convince him to make one for the M205 and R180 front differentials as well! To be honest I'd rather see one of those made before a C200 locker...
diddo :goodjob: prefer locker.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'd be interested, open diffs suck. I can't believe the other guys with C2oo's are *****ing, this is the first company offering anything for our rear diffs:thatswck: What would it cost to get installed?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Tell Richmond Gear I am saving up my $$$ to buy one as soon as they come out. I ran a powertrax in my Jeep's front axle and they work quite well, no perfect but they definitely do the job. I also ran a Lockrite in my Toyota and I beat that thing hard, after 30k miles the locker didn't even have any noticable wear on it and that was after 3 Moab trips!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I'd be interested, open diffs suck. I can't believe the other guys with C2oo's are *****ing, this is the first company offering anything for our rear diffs:thatswck: What would it cost to get installed?
I know, why are you guys complaining? It's like a detroit TrueTrac for the C200...Great price may i add. Install can be anywhere from $150 to $350, from what i've heard on the LSD trutrac.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These are really easy to install. Depending on the model (not sure yet for the C200) usually you don't even have to remove the carrier.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The odds are there will never be a locker or lsd for the r180. It is just too weak for extreme duty since it is an aluminum case. Now, if they made a replacement diff entirely, that would be best but unlikely.
Well the replacement is the M205, really. If they make something for that, I would imagine the swap would become much, much more popular. Right now the biggest weak point of the M205 is the fact that it's still only got two side gears and that's what people are breaking now. A replacement locker or LSD would eliminate that issue and make it a really solid IFS setup in the front.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Well the replacement is the M205, really. If they make something for that, I would imagine the swap would become much, much more popular. Right now the biggest weak point of the M205 is the fact that it's still only got two side gears and that's what people are breaking now. A replacement locker or LSD would eliminate that issue and make it a really solid IFS setup in the front.
I agree, i don't think flexing/lack of flexing is the biggest cause. I think the majority of accidents has to do with a free wheel spinning and then taking traction... Locker would eliminate that problem, and hopefully the differential can handle the locker.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts