Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all-

I have a rather cheap aftermarket setup that was installed in my 08 SE 4x4 CC when I got it. Some things I don't like about my current set-up:

1. Power locks only lock with key fob - there is no inside lock switch installed
2. No child window lock - my 15-month-old can easily operate these without permission (he is his father's son!)
3. Power windows work all the time, even with the vehicle off - this is a security issue for me, since there is no alarm installed

I have poked around the various parts suppliers to find and price out what would be needed for this to work, but am not sure about what I should be looking for. At the very least, I would need factory switches on all doors and one complete trim panel and switch cluster for the driver side door.

What I know about the origin of the installation:
1. Four rather hastily-installed after-market window switches on the driver door
2. Nissan factory window motors
3. Regulators and switches of unknown manufacturer

All the features installed work fine, and the locks operate with authority. The botchy look of the install bothers me, though, and the lack of the window defeat and inside operation for the locks is needed.

Can anyone offer advice?

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I would check the junk yard first as it will be your cheapest option. look for one with the door switches in it and at least yank them. I dont know if you can put in the factory components but you can at least wire into those switches. I am going to be doing that part myself in a week or 2 went the parts get here. for your power windows you should be able to move the power wire to a keyed fuse spot. That will make it so your windows wont work when the vehicle is off. you may even be able to add a push button into a blank in a system like this 7 Switch Kit Illuminated Pod Style to use as a child lock and just run your ground line to it inorder to kill the entire system. that would be the easiest way I could tell ya without knowing the part #'s of factory parts, or having a wire harness wired to the car from factory.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, reckless! That is the EXACT kit I have in there right now! It's an OK kit, but the monkey that installed it used pods in the rear doors, rather than cutting into the trim panels themselves, and hacked up the front door trim panels very poorly. Also, he didn't even install the nice bezels that hide the adhesive and Dremel cut marks. What I would like to do is a full factory look, while adding in the driver window defeat feature. A junk yard part would be fine, except I just accepted delivery of the truck last week. It's a new 2008, so I want to keep the "new" aspect going.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
yea I only said junk yard as you may be able to use something like Used Auto Parts, Junk Yards Online and Used Car Parts to find the exact color for your truck. the only way to fix the pods in the back would be to either re-vinal the door or to replace the panel. also somewhere like this will also have the switch pod for the front doors if not the back also from a totaled one somewhere.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went up on that site just now and punched in the info. I'm wondering what's gonna come back at me. I'm not opposed to getting new plastic door handle panels for the project. They are the small ones that sit on top of the door handle and the dealer quoted me something cheap like $9 apiece fr them.

From the other info and link you posted, it looks like I have SPAL illuminated switches on all four doors. I am taking that as a good sign, since they've been around for a while. With that info, I might just add my own interior lock/unlock button. I might "splurge" on a switch frame or a bezel, too, since the installer on mine decided not to.

My goal would be to get Nissan to replace the install. The power windows and locks should be under warranty, also. I don't think this install are these parts would be.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
yea I have a cirtified preowned truck so I have the full waranty. when they took in my truck they ripped out the entire system the previous owner had installed power locks. They left the acuators in the truck but cut the wires and module out alont with the alarm system but left the alarm horn and status light installed. seems anything that wont leave a big hole in the appearance of the truck was just cut out. im sure most dealers do this to avoid having to fix things like what you found in your truck. you might be able to tell them that the remotes for the lock dont alwise work or something like that and try to get them to install a factory setup. but that may be a longshot. I just ordered the lock kit and front power windows from that company tonight im going to be putting those switces into the current door caps where the switches would be till I find one my color.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well,here's the story:

I have an open dispute with the dealership and have contacted Nissan USA about this. When I told the sales guy I wanted one with keyless entry and power windows, he replied that they could "do that" for an added cost. I was prepared to pay for that and OK with it at the time, and added it in to the cost of the truck, since they were eager to unload a 2008 for a good price after all the other 2008 and 2009 Frontiers had been sold. They sent it out to another shop, and after a week in the shop, due to some "parts" procurement delays, and the New Year holiday, I went to pick up the truck from the dealer, and lo and behold, it was NOT a factory install.

I replied with, "WTF?! This isn't factory!" They told me that a factory install would have been WAY more than what I paid for in the price of the truck. Nowhere in the paperwork does it state the specific origin of the parts or the type of install being done, and I did not think to ask. I mean, if I ordered, say, "the 6-disc stereo system" installed, would they run over to Wal-Mart and grab some Audiovox stuff off the shelf? A factory install was implied, but not delivered.

In addition, the installer left off some vibration reducing and rattle prevention material from the power window install, and I had to bark at the service manager to get their guys to shore it up before I left the dealership. Looking back, I should have stood my ground, left the truck there, and made them put in the factory accessories.

So, that's where I'm at. I'm fighting for what I paid for and expected, but am preparing for the need to swap some stuff out if needed.

·
Registered
637 Posts
So is it a brand new truck, a leftover 2008?

That sounds like a problem waiting to happen with all that aftermarket stuff and probably looks like hell. Do you have any pics?

If possible I would take it back to the dealer and have them sort it out, its not what you paid for.

·
Registered
874 Posts
WOW, that sucks, happened to a friend of mine with an F-150, same thing, all aftermarket! Good Luck fighting with the dealer, I would just keep pressing!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem solved!

Whelp, after going a couple rounds with Nissan USA and having them tell me that they could not force the dealership to fix the problem, the dealership magically contacted me a few weeks ago to get the ball rolling on making the truck the way I wanted and expected when I bought it (imagine that!) and was invited down to talk yet again with the sales manager.

Thinking that I would need to make due with the SPAL parts, I provided a list of additional parts needed to make that particular bunch of parts work properly and look right, and included a diagram of how I wanted the switches laid out, etc., and dropped off the truck.

Then, after repeated delays - 10 days in all due to a scheduling eff-up, a shouting match and a threat to get my wife down there in their faces - I found out that the dealership had actually ordered factory components, switches and panels, motors, and regulators, and were in the process of removing the fubar aftermarket install so they could then put in the factory set-up.

Lo and behold, two Fridays ago, I arrived to the shop and picked up my truck, complete with factory windows, switches and door locks.

Welcome to six weeks ago!

I still have the cheapo aftermarket key fob, which I will keep using for now, but plan to replace that soon enough.

Lesson learned: Get the truck with the stuff you want already in it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts