Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got under the truck today to do a little past due oil change since the weather has been warming up and noticed what I first thought was an oil leak. Upon further inspection it looks like one of the hoses that connects to the power steering reservoir wasn't tightened enough and leaking. It was so loose I could rotate the clamp around the hose. I tightened it and went out with my oil change while wondering if this is whats causing my left turn only sound in the mornings on the way to work. There also was alot of gunk build up on the passenger side right below the power steering reservoir; from which I assume was leaking down the hose for quite a while? And its not oil, it has a different smell.

The reservoir was at its min on the cold point after it had been parked for atleast an hour, which I assume is normal?

I plan to get some brake parts cleaner and shoot the house to clean it off, as well as the already gunked areas to see if tightening the clamp helped any.

Any input? The truck only has 74,000 miles not driven hard or anything.

Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 3.3

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I never said anything about it being normal. Just that it could be a common issue. I've been searching and it seems like the only thing needed is to repair the leak and add some fluid to take care of the noise (I've got it bad in the mornings). Now what fluid? I still haven't figured it out. No threads that I looked at on this topic came up with an answer to: standard PSF or ATF?

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
*6: Genuine NISSAN PSF, Canada NISSAN Automatic Transmission Fluid, DEXRONIII MERCON, or equivalent ATF may also be
used.

per the factory manual.

That is from manual for a 2002.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had the same under-res leak. I pulled that crappy wire clamp off and replaced it with a worm-drive, hoping I wouldn't have to replace the hose as well. The clamp did the trick, so I proceeded to replace every wire clamp I could find, although I had another PS leak that required replacing the lowside hose under the AC compressor - tight as a drum now!

I used Castrol Import MultiVehicle ATF as fill when I replaced that hose. The only thing I don't like about it is it's not synthetic.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright thanks for the replies, I will have to replace the clamps when it stops raining/snowing this weekend and hope that solves the issue.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good info, guys. Cleaning up my PS and finding leaks is soon on my list of TODOs (bought the '03 used a couple of months ago). Now I'm hopeful it's just loose clamps.

-Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts