Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had to replace my power steering lines both low and high pressure, the rubber was cracked no big issue replacing them. However I can’t seem to get the high pressure brass nut to tighten down all the way, is there a special wrench I need? My issue is with the shape of the power steering box my wrench will slip and I don’t want to strip the brass nut, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
595048CE-E53C-453B-9BD6-2904C1ECF854.jpeg

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Remove the low pressure fitting, which will give you the clearance to tighten the high pressure line first, then install the low pressure line.
No new tools needed.
I'd still use a flare/line wrench for final tightening of such fittings, even if you remove the low pressure one first to gain access. But doubt that you'd need a crowsfoot flare/line wrench for this, just a regular flare/line wrench.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I'd still use a flare/line wrench for final tightening of such fittings...
Final tightening? These flare lines only torque to about 20 lbs. Overtighten and you can strip the steering rack.
Use good quality open ends and you'll never have problems.
The OP got the old lines off without a line wrench, which is really where they are useful. He reassembled in the wrong order.

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts
It shouldn't be a brass fitting on a high pressure line; it's likely yellow zinc plated steel. That said, I always just used a line wrench, accessing it through the driver's wheel well, removing the rubber splash shield in the way. Of course, I had access to a vehicle lift at the time, which made it a lot easier; on the ground, it might be a different story. It's really easy to cross-thread when installing, so be careful!

Reactions: Chase1243
1 - 7 of 7 Posts