Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked this up on AMSOIL's website and it says to use automatic transmission fluid as power steering fluid. Can that be right? The Nissan owner's manual says to use Nissan PSF or equivalent.

I emailed AMSOIL about it and got a reply today. Essentially they quoted me their own buying guide, without answering my question. Gee thanks.

What PSF do you use in your 2004's power steering?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh, so it is ATF then. AMSOIL was right after all. I never knew any vehicle out there could use ATF as power steering fluid.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, 1fstmax. I'll grab a bottle of the AMSOIL ATF, then.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't think I need that yet, do I?
If it's not leaking, there's no need for snake oil yet :D

Just to put your mind at ease, read the *6 footnote in the owner's manual. It says "For Canada, NISSAN Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF), DEXRON III/MERCON, or equivalent ATF may also be used."

I have always translated that to mean "We don't bother to export our own brand of P/S Fluid to Canada, so go ahead and use this." Our G actually came from Japan with red ATF in the P/S tank, so I think the factory typically ships them out with ATF in the system. I do a partial "turkey baster" exchange on all of mine using Mobil 1 ATF at each oil change.

Heath

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heath, thanks for the info. I just wish the manual would state what us USA folks should use as an "equivalent" by giving us some specs. It really threw me for a loop when I was reading about using ATF in the PS reservoir.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts