Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, new to the forum and in need of some help. 2013 Frontier 4.0 with 117k miles. I recently purchased in July and the vehicle seems very well taken care of. There are a few things going on with the vehicle, but they only happen randomly, and I think they’re all possibly related so I will just describe everything in the best detail I can, I’m not a mechanic but I like to work on my truck myself if at all possible. Check engine light came on last week, code for crankshaft position sensor, I replaced it myself (passenger side) and got the code cleared and moved on. Something else I think I should mention is I recently is I just replaced my battery with a good one in October.

Now onto the symptoms:

1. Something has been happening when I try to start the vehicle, only on occasion, so it’s impossible to duplicate, but when I turn the key over to start, the vehicle makes a loud whirring sound and does not crank. The sounds is almost akin to what an impact wrench sounds like, just without the clicking. The effect will be experienced until I stop trying to crank it. Usually when I try again it turns right over no problem. This happens very infrequently but frequently enough to raise concern as I’ve never experienced this before from a vehicle. It’s also downright annoying.

2. Low / rough idle: the vehicle usually idles about 600rpm, and it idles roughly, the steering wheel and rest of the vehicle vibrates pretty hard when idling but it’s not surging. I’ve cleaned the gunk from the throttle body and cleaned the MAF sensor but that didn’t help or hurt anything at all.

3. Loss of power / hard shifting:
There have been three instances now of the vehicle hard shifting. By that I mean when shifting up the vehicle jerks and when shifting down she does the same. The first time I noticed it was in October but it stopped once I turned the vehicle off and restarted it. Then it happened again one time last month, with the same result.
Yesterday’s event however was slightly different. I tried to crank the vehicle, the loud whirring and difficulty starting phenomenon happened, I stop trying to crank and try again. She turned over and the idle speed went high for a second like it does when you start it, and then it went very low like it was stalling, the battery light came on for a split second and then everything was brought back to a stable RPM. I starting driving down the road, when I noticed she was shifting hard. When I got up to about 40 MPH, when I accelerated the vehicle experienced a “loss of power” (I’m not sure if this is actually what’s happening but it felt that way) the vehicle jerked/surged/ hesitated a few times when I pressed the gas. I pulled over and shut the engine off. Turned her over again and everything was back to normal.

I’m not sure what’s going on here but it seems like it’s getting worse. There is no check engine light being thrown, and it seems like multiple systems are being affected, so I’m having a hard time knowing where to start.

Thanks for the time and input! I love this forum.
-J
Edit: Number 1 is probably the starter going bad, so that’s a pretty straight forward and easy one. Now I just need number 2 and 3 I’d appreciate any info y’all have for these problems! The error codes for the camshaft sensor were P0340 and P0345 but the only sensor I replaced was the one on the passenger side as to what the tech at Oreilley told me to do. Now it’s not throwing any codes

·
Premium Member
7,760 Posts
Was your crank sensor Nissan/OEM or an aftermarket brand?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Number one is probably your starter starting to go bad. The whirring sound is your starter spinning after the pinion gear on the starter fails to engage the ring gear on the flywheel.

I once had an '89 bronco II that would do this. I lived with it until it finally reached the point that it wouldn't engage at all, then replaced the starter.

·
Premium Member
7,760 Posts
Is this part of the starter that fails to engage w/ the flywheel still referred to as a Starter Bendix (SP??)??

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Jezzz, the loud whirring noise sounds like a bad starter Bendix, I'd pull the whole starter and replace it, its really not that bad, I did mine on a 2005 Pathfinder VQ, same engine. You have a 2013 so shouldn't be transmission-related aka the SMoD, but I'd check all the power connections, go through all your chassis grounds and verify they are clean and tight, if you find a suspect one, pull the bolt, clean the ground wire end and the mounting location with some sandpaper, then place small dab of dielectric grease on the terminal and bolt, and a stainless steel star washer under the terminal, then crank it down.

The teeth on the star washer bite into the chassis steel and maintain a good ground connection. Check the Positive battery terminal next, the stock battery's will corrode them badly due to the hydrogen vent being right next to the positive terminal. Tighten both the Pos and Neg posts to factory specs.

Reactions: shift_RUSH

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was your crank sensor Nissan/OEM or an aftermarket brand?
I don’t know, I didn’t think to look and check. The one I replaced it with was from O’reilley. The codes it was throwing was P0340 and P0345. I replaced the sensor on the passenger side. Should I go ahead and replace the sensor on the driver side? Would these cause the hard shifting I’m experiencing? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jezzz, the loud whirring noise sounds like a bad starter Bendix, I'd pull the whole starter and replace it, its really not that bad, I did mine on a 2005 Pathfinder VQ, same engine. You have a 2013 so shouldn't be transmission-related aka the SMoD, but I'd check all the power connections, go through all your chassis grounds and verify they are clean and tight, if you find a suspect one, pull the bolt, clean the ground wire end and the mounting location with some sandpaper, then place small dab of dielectric grease on the terminal and bolt, and a stainless steel star washer under the terminal, then crank it down.

The teeth on the star washer bite into the chassis steel and maintain a good ground connection. Check the Positive battery terminal next, the stock battery's will corrode them badly due to the hydrogen vent being right next to the positive terminal. Tighten both the Pos and Neg posts to factory specs.
Alright I’ll definitely check the connections. I just replaced the battery and the connections, they are fine. I’m sure the starter is going bad, that was my first thought when I had trouble starting. Not sure why I’m experiencing hard shifting every once in a while though

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Number one is probably your starter starting to go bad. The whirring sound is your starter spinning after the pinion gear on the starter fails to engage the ring gear on the flywheel.

I once had an '89 bronco II that would do this. I lived with it until it finally reached the point that it wouldn't engage at all, then replaced the starter.
Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Possible the camshaft position sensors?
Hey thanks for the reply! Originally the codes being thrown were P0340 and P0345, the tech at Oreilley told me I only had to replace the one for the passenger side, so that’s all I replaced. Then we cleared the codes and the check engine light hasn’t come back on since. Should I go ahead and replace the one for the drivers side?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply! Originally the codes being thrown were P0340 and P0345, the tech at Oreilley told me I only had to replace the one for the passenger side, so that’s all I replaced. Then we cleared the codes and the check engine light hasn’t come back on since. Should I go ahead and replace the one for the drivers side?
It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, there are two camshaft position sensors. This was about 8-9 years ago for me and on my previous Frontier. Hopefully, someone else can chime in on this.

Do a quick google on the sensor to see what I mean. They aren't that cheap, so I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. I replace my camshaft and crankshaft sensors when I had the issue. I especially remember your #3 happening a few times and randomly. Once in a shopping center parking lot, once getting on the freeway and once up in Tahoe.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, there are two camshaft position sensors. This was about 8-9 years ago for me and on my previous Frontier. Hopefully, someone else can chime in on this.

Do a quick google on the sensor to see what I mean. They aren't that cheap, so I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. I replace my camshaft and crankshaft sensors when I had the issue. I especially remember your #3 happening a few times and randomly. Once in a shopping center parking lot, once getting on the freeway and once up in Tahoe.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Why did you have to replace the camshaft? Was that difficult? Thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
Why did you have to replace the camshaft? Was that difficult? Thanks
As I said, it's been awhile, but I most likely had a code reader at the time, saw the codes and started researching and found out about the cam and crank sensors. If I remember correctly, I only replaced one first (crankshaft), but still had the issue, so I replace the camshaft sensors. No, not hard to do. They are located at the rear of the engine, but up top near the firewall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, new to the forum and in need of some help. 2013 Frontier 4.0 with 117k miles. I recently purchased in July and the vehicle seems very well taken care of. There are a few things going on with the vehicle, but they only happen randomly, and I think they’re all possibly related so I will just describe everything in the best detail I can, I’m not a mechanic but I like to work on my truck myself if at all possible. Check engine light came on last week, code for crankshaft position sensor, I replaced it myself (passenger side) and got the code cleared and moved on. Something else I think I should mention is I recently is I just replaced my battery with a good one in October.

Now onto the symptoms:

1. Something has been happening when I try to start the vehicle, only on occasion, so it’s impossible to duplicate, but when I turn the key over to start, the vehicle makes a loud whirring sound and does not crank. The sounds is almost akin to what an impact wrench sounds like, just without the clicking. The effect will be experienced until I stop trying to crank it. Usually when I try again it turns right over no problem. This happens very infrequently but frequently enough to raise concern as I’ve never experienced this before from a vehicle. It’s also downright annoying.

2. Low / rough idle: the vehicle usually idles about 600rpm, and it idles roughly, the steering wheel and rest of the vehicle vibrates pretty hard when idling but it’s not surging. I’ve cleaned the gunk from the throttle body and cleaned the MAF sensor but that didn’t help or hurt anything at all.

3. Loss of power / hard shifting:
There have been three instances now of the vehicle hard shifting. By that I mean when shifting up the vehicle jerks and when shifting down she does the same. The first time I noticed it was in October but it stopped once I turned the vehicle off and restarted it. Then it happened again one time last month, with the same result.
Yesterday’s event however was slightly different. I tried to crank the vehicle, the loud whirring and difficulty starting phenomenon happened, I stop trying to crank and try again. She turned over and the idle speed went high for a second like it does when you start it, and then it went very low like it was stalling, the battery light came on for a split second and then everything was brought back to a stable RPM. I starting driving down the road, when I noticed she was shifting hard. When I got up to about 40 MPH, when I accelerated the vehicle experienced a “loss of power” (I’m not sure if this is actually what’s happening but it felt that way) the vehicle jerked/surged/ hesitated a few times when I pressed the gas. I pulled over and shut the engine off. Turned her over again and everything was back to normal.

I’m not sure what’s going on here but it seems like it’s getting worse. There is no check engine light being thrown, and it seems like multiple systems are being affected, so I’m having a hard time knowing where to start.

Thanks for the time and input! I love this forum.
-J
Edit: Number 1 is probably the starter going bad, so that’s a pretty straight forward and easy one. Now I just need number 2 and 3 I’d appreciate any info y’all have for these problems! The error codes for the camshaft sensor were P0340 and P0345 but the only sensor I replaced was the one on the passenger side as to what the tech at Oreilley told me to do. Now it’s not throwing any codes
I have a 2013 frontier with 98k mi on it and had this same issue. I took it to the shop and the code they read was P0335. They replaced the crankshaft sensor and it has fixed the issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts