Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very ignorant when it comes to mods so please, if this has been posted before as I don't even really know how to search for it point me in the right direction.

So I have heard/read that Nissan Titans and Toyota Tacos have a power outlet in the bed. I have kind of toyed with the idea of adding a second battery somewhere on my truck (05' Nismo CC). I was thinking somewhere under the bed, maybe next to the spare? This is mostly for camping/4x4ing so I don't run down the battery and simply as a backup so I can give myself a jump is the main battery dies. Has anyone done this mod? I expect this isn't easy to do and would any input would be greatly appeciated. Is this a very expensive prospect? I'd like to do it for under $300 or so but like I said I have no idea what it should cost or involve.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I like the power outlet in the bed, and I wish that our trucks came with one. I think an easier route for you would be to just get a better battery, and run a power inverter. You could have it on a long enough cable that you could run it anywhere that you want. My $0.02.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
eisman said:
I like the power outlet in the bed, and I wish that our trucks came with one. I think an easier route for you would be to just get a better battery, and run a power inverter. You could have it on a long enough cable that you could run it anywhere that you want. My $0.02.
that what I did is I got power inverter just get a good one not a cheap one and you can clip in on the battery or plug it in a lighter.. then you got power.. what I plan on doing is when I get a winch and on-board air is putting a spare battery in the tool box in the bed along with the air compressor and at that time I will move my inverter back there. Personally I don’t want to put anything under the truck for clearance reasons.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
mustard23 said:
that what I did is I got power inverter just get a good one not a cheap one and you can clip in on the battery or plug it in a lighter.. then you got power.. what I plan on doing is when I get a winch and on-board air is putting a spare battery in the tool box in the bed along with the air compressor and at that time I will move my inverter back there. Personally I don’t want to put anything under the truck for clearance reasons.
Sounds like a good setup, but don't forget a vent for the battery.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I definately wish this were at least an option on the Frontier

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was gonna do the same thing....even bought the inverter and made a custom cable to hook it up to the battery in the truck when needed.
Meanwhile ,I was looking for a place to put a spare battery and looking for options for a sealed deep cycle battery.

Well,Then it came to me while talking to a mechanic friend of mine about his jumpbox...its sealed,portable and easily rechargeable!!!
You could get a good jumpbox to power your inverter,but I found a better way........

I now have a Craftsman Diehard Jumpbox in my truck that has (2) 12v DC cig lighter outlets,(2) 110v AC 3 prong outlets,air compressor, light,and of course jumper cables.
You can charge it at home or in your truck,and it has a power level meter to show remaining charge.
It is great for camping or an emergency power outage.Medium duty,anyway.

I use it regularly to charge 18V DeWalt drill batteries(2 at a time) while I am on jobsites without power.
So far it works perfectly and I have been really testing it as much as possible.I have even hooked my 1200w inverter(2 outlets) to it and used it and the remaining 2 outlets on the box at the same time!!!2 batteries charging, a radio and light on.Over an hour,no probs,still had 50% charge left.
I have ran a electric drill and a large fan also just for kicks.
The main thing is to get a high quality one,not a cheap one if you are gonna use it alot for long periods of time.
Totally portable power anywhere!!!Takes up less space than my old jumpercables,too.
If you don't get one with the compressor ,or inverter built in,just get a good regular jumpbox to clip on to an inverter.

I wish I thought of this years ago,lol
Jay

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
That's a thought. I bought 2 jump boxes for Christmas gifts months before Christmas and forgot about them until I ran across them this week. Now to figure out how to use them for alternate power.

·
Registered
816 Posts
jfrussell, are you asking about 12VDC or 110VAC? Your posted question and picture looks like your asking about 12VDC, but the replies seem to assume you are inquiring about 110/115/120VAC or both. If you have a tow package there are available adapters to give you a 12VDC outlet at the rear of the truck. With the 7-pin plug the ignition has to be on for it to be energized though, not sure about the 4-pin. I do not suggest mounting a battery under the bed, more so on a 4x4.

I use a portable power/jumper ($35) rather than a secondary battery, works great outdoors being removable from the vehicle and when someone needs a jump I don't have to worry about improper hookups affecting my truck. My 7-pin adapter works pretty good for 12VDC ($5). For AC I use an inverter ($50). The mod you're asking about I did on my H/B D21 with a bed liner (not a factory spray in) and in a toolbox, was very easy and cost about $120 with battery (for 12VDC and inverted).

Note: Pricing highly discounted, but retails well under $300 not including tow package.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
05N1SMO, I'm honestly not even sure which I'm asking about. The simple anser is I'm looking for something that I could plug things such as a battery charger for my Dewalt tools and other appliances to use when outdoors. I think that would be the 12vdc. I do have the factory tow package as well.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Well if it has a household 2-prong plug then it is AC which requires an inverter for use from a 12VDC power source of a vehicle. Larger inverters are direct wired to the vehicle battery (400W and up, lower wattages, they plug into 12V power ports).

Car (DC) type plugs are inserted into the cigarette lighter/accessory port, which is the adapter I mentioned earlier that will give you a 12VDC power port at the rear of the truck. Just make sure all voltage ratings match.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Nismo4me, I did see your reply, thanks. I guess I'm just kind of hung up on the idea of having the AC in the bed of my truck. But it is sounding like it would be more work/money than it's worth to do so. Thanks again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know this is a dead thread, but if you're still interested in having 2 power sourced under the hood, there are companies that sell supercapacitors as battery replacements. (very) simply put, a capacitor releases it's energy all at once, rather than slowly here and there like a battery. Since cranking the engine only needs that quick burst, you can save yourself about 40 pounds by switching to a capacitor. It's becoming common in semi-trucks, so that they can keep their APUs running off battery power, but still be 100% sure the engine will start in the morning.

They're relatively small compared to batteries, and if you're really looking for a way to fit both in the engine bay, that would do it. Fair warning, when I last checked, they're not exactly inexpensive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts