Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I have been a fan of the Frontier since before getting my license 16 years ago. As of late I have been on this site multiple times a week. The reason for this is that I am hopefully purchasing a new truck in a couple weeks. I am just trying to finalize if I can / should buy it.

My name is CivicGuy because I have owned about 10 of them. I owned a Ranger at one point, but it was a 15 year old POS that was just to get me by for a short time. Other than that little blip, I've never owned a truck.

I am looking at a 17 Pro-4X KC 6spd. I will be trading up from my 2012 Civic as I need a truck for work now. I've never owned a Nissan, but the draw to the Fronty is the Pro-4X package, manual tranny and of course cost. The reason I want the 17my instead of waiting for a redesign is because I like a proven vehicle, not the 1st year of a redesign if I can help it (the 2012 civic wasn't my choice), plus I like it the way it is, and the cost will be better.

So... I'm hoping to be a Fronty owner, and will keep you guys posted on my purchase if it goes through. I don't care for Silver or orange, but otherwise I'm not picky on color.

One worry I have is the availability of my desired package. I've searched the few dealers around me, and no 6spds. Think I'm hunting a Unicorn? Or are they still being built?

PS, I live in Ontario, Canada.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The Frontier is a great choice! Finding a 6 speed might be a trial... You can always get a better deal on a truck the dealer has in stock... If he has to find and go get a specific one, cost will be higher. You don't show where you are from, do you really NEED a 6 speed? As I have gotten older it is no longer as important as it once was... Auto boxes tend to need less maintenance, are MUCH easier if you drive in one of our major cities and usually have a higher tow rating than the manual tranny. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
397 Posts
...find the manual, you'll be happy you did!

I test drove 4 auto's and still went out to "find" my manual SV ::smile::

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I got in touch with a salesman last night. There are 3 KC Pro-4x's 6spd within 160kms. All of them are black, which I'm cool with.

Ghmpm - I understand what you are saying regarding an auto, but I know myself, and I genuinely hate driving auto. My previous car was a stick, as were most of my cars before. When I had to switch to auto, I felt so depressed. I hate driving my car. I feel like I've given up on life a bit lol. Most of my daily is on country roads, however I do occasionally work in the city. I've never had an issue with bumper to bumper in a manual, and at a fit 32, my knees are just fine.

Thanks J&J, you get it!

Now I just need to find out if I can afford it. It's a long story but basically I should know by end of next week. I'm biting my nails in anticipation!

CG84

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Use Nissanusa.com's inventory function to try and locate what you want at a specific dealership...or at least nearby. To get the best price you need to contain your emotions - cuz if they know they have exactly what you want, they will budge less on price. It's a game of you vs them.

Fwiw, 6-sp is what I wanted as well as a 6' bed. Nissan no longer offers this combination as you can only get a shortbed w/ 6-sp.

IFF you drop down to SV trim, know that the VTP (Value Truck Package) items come standard w/ the 6-sp.

A little known resource: http://nissanproduct.info

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks shift_RUSH.

I used to sell cars for a living. I should be okay for the negotiations part. If they aren't going to budge or work, I will simply go to one of the other 3 dealers within 20kms of me and pretend as if I'm a whole new person. Difference is I will know they are available. I don't want to have to do that, but I know a customer has the power, and a potential buyer walking out the door without a purchase is the best motivation for a deal to be made.

PS, I'm also in Canada. The http://nissanproduct.info was off for what is available here. We have the 17 KC pro-4x available in stick. It didn't show on that site.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There's nothing worse than buyer's remorse. I felt that on my last car. I let the dealership jack with me and paid more than I wanted for a vehicle I only kind of liked. In the end it was the most reliable car I've ever owned, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted and I was never truly pleased. I owned that car for 4 years before buying my frontier last Sept and the regret only truly went away when I bought my new truck.

After determining (after months of research) the trim I wanted and the options I wanted, it all came down to color and cost. I compromised on color: purchased a white one instead of burnt copper I really wanted, but I saved $1500 in the end over having a burnt copper one shipped in and the white color is only growing on me. I like it more and more every day.

Know what you want, get what you want and you shouldn't have any regrets. If you can compromise that's even better because you can save money. I took the dealership's bottom-dollar offer on my white one and shopped every other dealer within 200 miles, no one could beat the price and one dealership flat out told me "buy that one. we can't beat that price." That sealed the deal for me. I haven't looked back since and I've received more compliments on my frontier in the last 5 months than any of the other 4 cars I've owned. I have ZERO regrets.

and good luck on your hunt. I hope you find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Archer

I'm basically sold on the truck. Now I'm just waiting a grueling week or so to find out some info from my boss that will determine if I can buy it. Wow... Patience is not my forté.
Black really was my first choice too, but I toyed with grey and red. IMO, Nothin like a black truck. I think my love for the truck stems from Back to the Future, when Marty falls for that truck he ends up getting. It was a lifted black small truck (I know I know, it was a Toyota). Always been on my mind since.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
MT is for sports cars
AT is for 4x4

I just finished an 1800 mile trip and again my Equatier never missed a beat and got me through 350 miles of winter driving and blizzard conditions. You will not be disappointed. I'm actually wondering if I should buy new before they change models - my '09 only has 43k on it though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would have been interested in the Suzuki, but it bailed in Canada.
Thanks for the .02

·
Registered
3 Posts
CivicGuy84

You won't go wrong with a Frontier! I picked up a 15 CC Pro-4x Feb '16 in Alberta because of the discounts offered by Nissan and the dealership. The Frontier was such a good value compared to the Tacoma. Prior to that I was dead set on purchasing the Tacoma 2nd generation and even tried the 3rd. But after test driving the Frontier, it changed my mind. Like you, I wanted a MT, but it doesn't come in that configuration in Canada, so went with the AT, either way I've been pretty happy with the truck.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
vax... Thanks bro. I compared the config I want to the Taco config and its about 7 grand more for the Taco... SOOOOO not worth it, even if it was a "better truck" which I'm told it isn't. They are too similar to call is what I'm told. "Taco is a touch better here, Frontier is a bit better there" type of thing.

Do you run the Dynapro's in winter? That is the one thing I'm kinda excited about. I have a Civic, so I have to have dedicated winters / summers which is a PITA to swap twice a year. Hoping I may not have to.

Also, right now, Nissan isn't giving any incentives. I just looked again. its 0.49% finance for 5 years, but zero money off. And as there are only three left near my dealership, I don't think I could wait for more Nissan money. I already have to wait another 10 days to get the green light from my boss :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
*** Update ***

I couldn't wait until my bosses gave me the yes or no. Don't worry, I didn't buy anything, but I did go for a test drive. First time ever even sitting in a Frontier. I test drove a 15 KC SV 4.0 auto with 45,000KMs on it (28k miles). The dealer didn't have any 17's so that was all I could drive. I think its good to see how they hold up used anyway.

First thing I noticed, the cab is smaller than I pictured. Keep in mind, I'm wearing a Parka. But it wasn't too small, I do drive a civic after all... I just expected it to be a bit bigger. I can actually fit in the jump seats (not that I would want to spend much time there). I like the cab though. It reminds me of a late 80's S10 my dad had. The truck drove excellent. It was solid and peppy. Held the road nice. I did noticed a bit of a blind spot on the driver side due to the KC, but not enough to be a problem. The salesman let me take it onto their packed down snow covered lot and test out the 4x4 which worked seamlessly. That paired with the traction control, and it shot off when I hit WOT for a few seconds. I tried the low range next (no, not with WOT), and it is a good ratio.

All in all, I absolutely loved it (even being a used automatic SV)! Throw a Pro-4X package, stick shift and fresh odometer, and I will have a love affair with that truck.

I tell you, if this doesn't pan out the way I'm hoping, my heart will be broken :(

I can see why you all like them so much!

·
Registered
128 Posts
vax... Thanks bro. I compared the config I want to the Taco config and its about 7 grand more for the Taco... SOOOOO not worth it, even if it was a "better truck" which I'm told it isn't. They are too similar to call is what I'm told. "Taco is a touch better here, Frontier is a bit better there" type of thing. :(
I compared with the Tacos too when I was shopping. I figured the closest thing to the package I was looking at on the Frontier was their TRD Sport. I test drove one. It had all of the electronic bells and whistles the Frontier didn't have like wireless phone charging and stuff. The salesman rode in the backseat and wouldn't shut up about "refinement", "electronics" and "resale value". The only thing I was concentrating on was the ride. We took it down a potholed, county line road to test the suspension he kept raving about. Unbeknownst to him, I had already test driven the Frontier on the same road. On the Taco I found the rebound to be quite sharp and harsh compared to the Frontier. I didn't care for the Taco at all from that moment on, especially when the salesman started bragging about selling the Tacos as MSRP all day long. Then he hit on my wife right in front of me, which is a completely different story.

I saved about $7k by not getting the Taco and I don't regret it at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ran the dynapro this winter and they work well in the deep snow, still had to use the 4Hi during certain times. It's not so great on ice though. For the most part, driving to the road conditions they work well. I might consider switching to winters as the tire starts to wear, I only have about 10 000 km on them so far.

Archer22, yeah all the Toyota salesman didn't want to even talk about price. The bells and whistles were nice but for that price and the fact that Frontiers come with even better options and drove better, already forgot about the Tacoma haha

The toyota dealerships also couldn't even get enough inventory as it were, so they acted like they didn't need any more business.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys.

I hate stuck up dealers. The guy at the Nissan dealer was very real and honest. Seemed to genuinely care about me, not trying to bash others.

Thanks for the comments on the tires too. Ice is a bit of a concern. I guess I will just have to give it a try and see how it feels. The tester I drove had the BFGoodrich Rugged trails on it with 45kms (28k miles). They spun in the snow, but with the traction control, they still hooked up. I wouldn't want to stop on ice with those though.

Anyone (Probably more geared to Canadians) get rustproofing through the dealer? I'm considering it instead of paying for it myself separately.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts