Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I joined to get more info on the late model Frontier trucks, I'm looking at possibly buying a 2019 or newer model this weekend and I wanted to get some info since I'm not that familiar with the trucks. My current ride is a 2016 Nissan Juke, and while I really enjoy it, it's just not practical enough for my needs. My local Nissan dealer wants to give me what I paid for it (!) as a trade-in so I'm looking forward to upgrading. Thanks for having me!

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Was at the very place not so long ago. I’m past the question in personal terms, but can tell you that asking this bunch around here if you should buy a Frontier is kinda like asking cattle ranchers if one should eat steak!

The question really becomes “which one?”

This is Thursday and you mentioned the weekend, so maybe this link can help with some info. Best of luck in the hunt!

Mulling which trim line - questions about Pro4X vs SV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was at the very place not so long ago. I’m past the question in personal terms, but can tell you they asking this bunch around here if you should buy a Frontier is kinda like asking cattle ranchers if one should eat steak!

The question really becomes “which one?”
Yeah I'm pretty much set on the Frontier if I do pull the trigger on a new ride. I'm mostly doing some research on them. I've driven an older one (2005 I think) but that was over a decade ago. I was definitely impressed then.

This is Thursday and you mentioned the weekend, so maybe this link can help with some info. Best of luck in the hunt!

Mulling which trim line - questions about Pro4X vs SV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks! The one I've been looking at is a 2019 SV 4x4. I'm not too picky about the trim (my Juke is an SV and I'm happy with it), but it needs to be 4x4 and able to tow my trailer. The 2022 model in S trim and 4x4 is about $6000 more, just a hair outside my budget, and my biggest concern is the new drivetrain. I've heard the 3.8 V6 isn't as proven as the 4.0, and ditto for the new 9 speed auto vs the older 5 speed.

·
Registered
Great truck
1,222 Posts
i think anyone would enjoy having a frontier. they are great trucks

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I started out thinking Pro4x but gravitated towards the SL late in the hunt. Then one came up on a dealer lot in my state so my wife and I drove up to look on a Saturday. Inventories are varied and prices are all over the place, but good deals can still be had.

Pounce factor is important. Be ready when the right one comes across the screen. Also, one's negotiating position is better when he has his money worked out ahead of time. The dealer was willing to meet me at an acceptable price so we wrote them a check and off I went on a 140 mile + get-acquainted drive back to home.

In the past I've owned Chevy, Dodge, and Ford trucks. The Frontier has proven to be an entirely satisfying purchase. My wife and I are headed out this weekend for a 5 day fall break trip to the mountains and we're taking the truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the past I've owned Chevy, Dodge, and Ford trucks. The Frontier has proven to be an entirely satisfying purchase. My wife and I are headed out this weekend for a 5 day fall break trip to the mountains and we're taking the truck.
That's good to know, one of my wife's questions when we were discussing it was if it would be comfortable for vacation drives and going camping. I know from the one I drove years ago, it was pretty comfy going from NWGA to Panama City FL and back. Right now we take trips in the Juke (we have four vehicles and the Juke is the newest/nicest) and it's "fine" but it's a bit small and the seats aren't the greatest for long drives. Our kids have four paws so we don't need a specifically family-friendly vehicle, but some comfort would be nice.

It's also going to be my new daily driver so while I'm going to suffer from slightly worse gas mileage, it's not that much worse than the Juke and on par with our CVPI.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Hi All,

I joined to get more info on the late model Frontier trucks, I'm looking at possibly buying a 2019 or newer model this weekend and I wanted to get some info since I'm not that familiar with the trucks. My current ride is a 2016 Nissan Juke, and while I really enjoy it, it's just not practical enough for my needs. My local Nissan dealer wants to give me what I paid for it (!) as a trade-in so I'm looking forward to upgrading. Thanks for having me!

Hi and welcome (potentially) to the club.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Hi All,

I got rid of my wife’s juke a few yrs back, everytime she drove it she would cackle and take off in it like it was a friggin little rocket!! Scared the tar out of me. Anyways, welcome and I will tell you that I have been driving Frontiers since 1999 and just traded in my nissan van for a 2022 Frontier. They are very under rated in my opinion. I do not baby these things in the least.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
That's good to know, one of my wife's questions when we were discussing it was if it would be comfortable for vacation drives and going camping. I know from the one I drove years ago, it was pretty comfy going from NWGA to Panama City FL and back. Right now we take trips in the Juke (we have four vehicles and the Juke is the newest/nicest) and it's "fine" but it's a bit small and the seats aren't the greatest for long drives. Our kids have four paws so we don't need a specifically family-friendly vehicle, but some comfort would be nice.

It's also going to be my new daily driver so while I'm going to suffer from slightly worse gas mileage, it's not that much worse than the Juke and on par with our CVPI.
Some men will no doubt feel intimidated by what I am about to say, but my wife's take was a strong influence on the choice of truck for me. She enjoyed traveling in my previous truck (2010 Ranger), so when I started shopping for this one I asked her to test drive it, and ride as a passenger. Both experiences got her "thumbs up" approval. Plenty of leg room, power for her phone and laptop (using a converter), and easy access to the cooler and snack bag in the back. Upper and lower glove boxes, plenty of storage in the door cubbies, heated seats and dual HVAC controls all got her approval.

My other personal criteria show up in the discussion I linked to above. Ease of entry and exit was big, as was accessibility to the bed without a stool. A fall can be serious at any age, but at the point we are in life, we want to avoid a sprained joint and/or broken bone if at all possible.

Another personal factor was that the men in my family tend to check out between age 65 and 75 (I'm 66), and the women in her family tend to live into their 90's. I want to stick around for as long as possible in a state of "sound mind and body," but if my departure time arrives, I want to leave her with a truck she can make use of. She won't admit it, but in terms of comfort I'm pretty sure she prefers the Frontier to her Ford Edge.

The upcoming fall break road trip will be a test case for us. The crew cab allows adequate storage for the luggage required for this trip, but a longer trip might call for use of the bed. If all works out well this weekend, I'll eventually replace my cross-over tool box with a topper or a Tonneau cover (with a view to a 4 to 6 week trip out west next summer).

Finally, a 2020 Pro4x (white, w/black leather interior) turned up locally that was close enough to my budget that I was tempted to bite on it, but the black interior was hard for me to "see into" due to some eyesight issues. I ended up going for the 4.0L, 5 speed auto in the 2019, and with an interior that allowed me to see better what might be laying in the floorboard. Either way you go, I think you would find a Frontier to be a winner.

The wife has been ready to go for a week; I haven't packed a single sock or pair of jeans. So again, best of luck in the hunt, and I'm gone to start packing before my bride blows a vein over my procrastinating! 🤣

Reactions: Beardnbrew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So . . . has this glorious machine christened the driveway yet??
Unfortunately not. It was a full-on bait and switch at the dealer. First, the sales rep double-booked us with another customer on another car at the exact same time, so she was back and forth between us and not giving either of us her full attention. I had done my homework on the truck and found it started life as a rental for a year, then was privately owned for another year before the dealer bought it at auction. The pictures they had of it on the website were of a SL trim, so none of the amenities in the cab indicated on the website and in the pictures were in the actual truck. It was supposed to have the full navigation head unit but it had the base HU without the CD drive, and so on. The seats were filthy and it smelled like cigarette smoke, and that was supposedly after they cleaned it. The tires were nearly bald even though the photos showed nearly new tires in a different brand and size. The underside was a good bit rusty, which I expected on a rust belt truck but it was more than I was comfortable with. It drove fine and it was actually white, the only two positive things I can say about it.

As for the sales rep, I asked for the payoff on my Juke which they were fine with. She printed out a price sheet showing a $700 "inspection fee", a $800 "reconditioning fee" claiming new tires had been installed, and a $1100 document fee. I pulled out a printout of the same year and model truck from the Carmax across the street from there (where I got the Juke), with the same price but 13k less miles, and Carmax includes those fees in the sales price. She said "well Carmax won't negotiate with you!" so I said "okay let's negotiate. Remove those bogus fees and install four new tires on it and I'm good to go even though the truck wasn't what was advertised." She said "well we can only do two tires" to which I replied "you don't just replace two tires on a 4x4, it's four tires or no deal". She took that to her manager, came back and said "I'm sorry we won't be selling you a vehicle today".

I feel like I dodged a bullet there. My wife and I discussed it later and decided we're going to keep the Juke another year, focus on fixing up my 1988 Bronco, and use it as our towing and camping vehicle. After a year we're going to look at truck options again and see if we still want a Frontier or if we might be more interested in the Ford Maverick (not interested in it right now because it's new and unproven and it's on a car platform).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got rid of my wife’s juke a few yrs back, everytime she drove it she would cackle and take off in it like it was a friggin little rocket!! Scared the tar out of me. Anyways, welcome and I will tell you that I have been driving Frontiers since 1999 and just traded in my nissan van for a 2022 Frontier. They are very under rated in my opinion. I do not baby these things in the least.
Ha, I can see that in the Juke. It's not "quick" but it's certainly sporty and hugs the curves like no other car I've owned. I just wish it had a real transmission and more torque for towing.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Unfortunately not. It was a full-on bait and switch at the dealer. First, the sales rep double-booked us with another customer on another car at the exact same time, so she was back and forth between us and not giving either of us her full attention. I had done my homework on the truck and found it started life as a rental for a year, then was privately owned for another year before the dealer bought it at auction. The pictures they had of it on the website were of a SL trim, so none of the amenities in the cab indicated on the website and in the pictures were in the actual truck. It was supposed to have the full navigation head unit but it had the base HU without the CD drive, and so on. The seats were filthy and it smelled like cigarette smoke, and that was supposedly after they cleaned it. The tires were nearly bald even though the photos showed nearly new tires in a different brand and size. The underside was a good bit rusty, which I expected on a rust belt truck but it was more than I was comfortable with. It drove fine and it was actually white, the only two positive things I can say about it.

As for the sales rep, I asked for the payoff on my Juke which they were fine with. She printed out a price sheet showing a $700 "inspection fee", a $800 "reconditioning fee" claiming new tires had been installed, and a $1100 document fee. I pulled out a printout of the same year and model truck from the Carmax across the street from there (where I got the Juke), with the same price but 13k less miles, and Carmax includes those fees in the sales price. She said "well Carmax won't negotiate with you!" so I said "okay let's negotiate. Remove those bogus fees and install four new tires on it and I'm good to go even though the truck wasn't what was advertised." She said "well we can only do two tires" to which I replied "you don't just replace two tires on a 4x4, it's four tires or no deal". She took that to her manager, came back and said "I'm sorry we won't be selling you a vehicle today".

I feel like I dodged a bullet there. My wife and I discussed it later and decided we're going to keep the Juke another year, focus on fixing up my 1988 Bronco, and use it as our towing and camping vehicle. After a year we're going to look at truck options again and see if we still want a Frontier or if we might be more interested in the Ford Maverick (not interested in it right now because it's new and unproven and it's on a car platform).
1100 doc fee? Wow. What a gimmick. Things have really changed over the years. My loaded 19 P4X I paid 35K out the door and NO doc fee and they paid to transport from another state. Those were the good old days before the pandemic.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Wow! @Kaidenshi I hate to read you had that experience. Unfortunately nothing is so common as bad behavior, and some dealers can claim a share of it.

The dealer I bought from (Lynn Layton, Decatur, AL) was straight up, no hidden stuff, and they met me on the price I wanted. The truck (‘19 SL) was exactly as represented online. We (my wife and I) have just gotten home this evening from a 5 day, 1,100 + mile trip and are completely satisfied with the vehicle.

Frontiers are popular with rental companies. You might find one with the features you want that way and rent it for a weekend trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2022 Frontier Pro-4x
30 Posts

Brother, that is horrible & disgraceful. It's just a pathetic excuse for a dealership in my opinion. I KNOW that you're better off for 2 reasons: 1. You didn't take a shady deal on a rust bucket 2. You didn't spend YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY at a place that tried to screw you in more than 1 way. It's a damn shame.

The silver lining is that you'll be a part of our club no matter how long it takes you to find the RIGHT Frontier. Until then, keep asking questions & we'll all keep responding. Then we'll celebrate your Frontier inauguration day!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
irst, the sales rep double-booked us with another customer on another car at the exact same time, so she was back and forth between us and not giving either of us her full attention.
Sounds like my experience buying a Frontier. First sales rep had me wait around for an hour while she was busy selling someone the worst car on the planet (Dodge Journey). I walked across the parking lot to leave and she said, "Wait, you're leaving!?" And I said, "Our appointment was for an hour ago. You're clearly busy and there are plenty of other people willing to sell me a car."

A few dealerships later, I found the truck I have now. The sales rep was waiting for me, keys in hand, with the truck parked out front. I ended up buying that truck.

we might be more interested in the Ford Maverick
Same. As an owner of several Fords, I am holding out for at least two years, probably more like until the mid-cycle refresh.

I got to see them in the flesh at the State Fair of Texas and I was very impressed. I downsized to the Frontier with the idea being that the Frontier is "enough" truck, but now I feel like I can downsize a little more and gain much better fuel economy and lower operating and maintenance costs. The seats are also some of the most comfortable seats that I've sat in, in a mainstream vehicle, second only to the 5th-gen Ford Explorer.

I'm currently interested in the FWD hybrid, but I'll break my own rule and be first in line to buy if they announce an AWD hybrid.

Reactions: Kaidenshi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brother, that is horrible & disgraceful. It's just a pathetic excuse for a dealership in my opinion. I KNOW that you're better off for 2 reasons: 1. You didn't take a shady deal on a rust bucket 2. You didn't spend YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY at a place that tried to screw you in more than 1 way. It's a damn shame.

The silver lining is that you'll be a part of our club no matter how long it takes you to find the RIGHT Frontier. Until then, keep asking questions & we'll all keep responding. Then we'll celebrate your Frontier inauguration day!
Thanks. If anyone is curious and/or wants to avoid that dealer, it's Nissan of Lithia Springs on Thornton Rd in Georgia. Their service department is fine but if their manager Ron ever leaves I'll find another dealer for service. That man is a saint and an old-school mechanic who actually cares about both his customers and his employees. It's too bad he's attached to a boneheaded dealership.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Same. As an owner of several Fords, I am holding out for at least two years, probably more like until the mid-cycle refresh.

I got to see them in the flesh at the State Fair of Texas and I was very impressed. I downsized to the Frontier with the idea being that the Frontier is "enough" truck, but now I feel like I can downsize a little more and gain much better fuel economy and lower operating and maintenance costs. The seats are also some of the most comfortable seats that I've sat in, in a mainstream vehicle, second only to the 5th-gen Ford Explorer.

I'm currently interested in the FWD hybrid, but I'll break my own rule and be first in line to buy if they announce an AWD hybrid.
I'd love to see them make an AWD hybrid too, it's such a sensible combination. Good to know they are comfortable, the Frontier I test-drove was better than my Juke but not by much. Then again I'm tall (6'4") so I fit better in trucks anyway.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
the Frontier I test-drove was better than my Juke but not by much. Then again I'm tall (6'4")
I see you're looking at a 2019ish. The Frontier is definitely better than the Tacoma with regards to seating position, but the Maverick beats the Frontier in my opinion. Even if you get a Frontier SL or PRO-4X, the range of motion for the seat is rather limited. The Maverick, being a unibody, has more vertical floor-to-ceiling space than either the Tacoma or the Frontier, which also allows the seat to have a greater range of motion.

I am specifically referring to height adjustment and forward/aft adjustment. I didn't take any measurements, but the ole butt dyno felt like the seat in the Maverick slid further from the dash and the pedals than the Frontier. There are a couple threads on here with tall dudes wishing to slide the seat back another inch or two.

The height adjustment in the Maverick has a wide range of motion. With the seat in the lowest position, I felt like I was sitting in a Tacoma. With the seat in the highest position, I felt like I was sitting in a late model Silverado.

I think you'll be pleased with the Maverick's seating position, but it may suck if there's anyone behind you. I think the Maverick will be very comfortable for two people and acceptable for up to four people if everyone is, eh, 5'10" or shorter and/or comfortable with being a bit on the snug side.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts