Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking into no less than 12 potential Frontiers I finally found what will hopefully be the right choice. It's a 2007 Crew Cab SE 4WD 6M with Cruise Control. The seller bought it brand new and seems to have taken very good care of it. He said it took a while to get a new one that had cruise control but it was well worth the wait. It has 144,XXX miles on it and appears to be bone stock.

His asking price is definitely fair. He is selling it due to a growing family, and is in no rush to sell which actually helps my situation. He only posted this truck for sale in 1 site which supports his statement. Claims he has followed oil changes and tranny fluid changes per the book as this was his daily driver until his company got him a car. States he is selling it because it's just taking up space in his driveway and wasting money on insurance for it. Says he's never had any problems with the 4WD system.

Anything in particular you folks would recommend I look at when I go check it out this coming Monday? I know I won't have the dreaded SMOD issue with the manual, but I'm not well versed on the timing problems that are common in this generation of Frontiers.

Thanks again folks. I've enjoyed reading the forums and seeing all of your rides. And hopefully soon I'll be here as an owner and not a spectator!

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
I'd make sure the 4wd works by taking it to a dirt road and engaging low range and making sure it operates properly. Listen for noise from the timing cover. You could also send a sample of engine oil to Blackstone.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd make sure the 4wd works by taking it to a dirt road and engaging low range and making sure it operates properly. Listen for noise from the timing cover. You could also send a sample of engine oil to Blackstone.
I'm not familiar with Blackstone. After a little bit of research I assume they check the oil for any red flags?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm not familiar with Blackstone. After a little bit of research I assume they check the oil for any red flags?
Blackstone labs is one of the most popular oil analysis labs and they will give you a run down of wear materials and contaminants that may or may not be present in your oil sample. Gives a good indicator of things like possible coolant in the oil and air filtration efficiency.

Kits are free and take about a week to get in and another 2 weeks on average to get an oil analysis back.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Yes. They do a full analysis and indicate how much life is left in the oil (can you extend your change intervals) how well the filter is filtering, how much metallic wear the engine is experiencing... You tell them it's mileage and that you are buying a used truck and they'll tell you if there are any concerns. Similar to taking it to a trusted mechanic to inspect it for pre-purchase diagnosis. Even if you don't do it pre-purchase (it takes about a week to get the results but you can ask them to rush it for a used car sales check) I would draw off a sample of the engine, trans, transfer, & diffs for a baseline.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info everyone!

Any other areas I should pay special attention to?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, the current owner says he has not done anything with the timing chain. Has there been a common problem with this generation's timing chains? Should this be something I need to do immediately after buying it? I'm not exactly sure how catastrophic it would be if it snapped, but I can imagine it would be really really bad.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No Frontier....the guy took a slightly higher offer after telling me it was as good as mine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going to look at another 07 4WD CC today. It's a Nismo with 155,xxx miles on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts