Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems like my 2007 Nissan Frontier has thrown a rod. So violently that it blew a hole, roughly the size of a tennis ball, on the engine block. It has to be replaced now and I was wondering if it is possible to be swapped out for a QR25DE Altima engine since they they so much cheaper than the Frontier engines.

From what I've read and understand, I would have to use the original valve cover, exhaust manifold, oil pan, etc.

My biggest question is whether or not if this will work and if the motor mounts are the same. The price differences between a used Altima engine and Frontier engine seems to be $800 VS $2500 and would like to save as much money as possible.

If anybody can give any insight on this, please let me know.

Thank you guys so much in advance.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Should work call
https://www.2j-racing.com
It is the same block what is different is the layout and accessories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
They build the qr25s for us and the other platforms.
You name it they can do it,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just called them and unfortunately, he said the block is different and has a different part number. Difference between FWD and RWD I supposed. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Dmn that sucks,
Umm have you thought of just swapping a LS in it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Currently, I'm looking for the cheapest and easiest option to get this truck running. I was able to find a vendor nearby who carries the QR25's but for Altima and he believes that it's the same as the Frontier. He told me to bring the truck (which is not possible) or just the engine to his shop so I can compare and see if it'll work or not. I will be giving that a shot since I will have to remove the engine anyways for a swap. If all else fails, it'll most likely be a rebuilt engine from eBay for around $2500~

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Might be a long shot but look for JDM engines shops they sale low mile transmission and engine.
Was going to buy my sister civic and drop a low mileage engine and transmission from a JDM supplier near me for under 2000.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm in Southern California and there are a lot of shops that import JDM engines but they are all from Altima's that I can tell. After calling one of them, that's when the guy said that it "should" fit and that I should bring my truck or engine over to compare. For the QR25DE, they are quoting me $800 which isn't too bad so I'm hoping all I need to do is swap the accessories and that everything else is the same. Worst case scenario, I hope at least the block is the same so I can use just the block.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been told by a Nissan dealership mechanic that the Altima engine will not work. I was told that 05 to 15 Frontier engines are the same, with same part number. The intake may be different but the block from the valve cover down was the same.
The engine in my 06 threw a rod as well, big hole in block. I bought it this way. Guy said it ran low on oil, I am looking at low mileage 09 to 15 engines, for some odd reason, the newer engines are cheaper than the 05 to 08.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can confirm that the Altima engine does not work. I have contacted a friend who is working at the Nissan dealership and he said that it will not fit.

As far as the replacement engines go, what prices are you finding them at? I found one on "car-part.com" for about $1350 but I'm not sure if I can trust that (as far as warranty). The other option is a remanufactured engine for about $2400 on eBay but requires a core. Considering that my block has a huge hole in it, I don't think I can exchange the core.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Try lkqonline.com you may be able to find a used engine with respectable mileage, 6 month warranty, flat rate shipping, sometimes no core. Worth a try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, LKQ is another option aside from eBay. The thing is the price is about the same for both places and if that's the case, I'm wondering if it'll just be better to go with the eBay seller claiming to give a 2 year warranty. Either way, I'm still shopping around while I take my time getting the engine out .

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Frontier is rear-wheel drive with the engine mounted front-to-back while AFAIK the Altima is front-wheel drive with a trans axially mounted engine (side-to-side). If possible how would this work? How much does a good, used 4 cylinder Frontier engine cost?

·
Premium Member
6,466 Posts
The Frontier is rear-wheel drive with the engine mounted front-to-back while AFAIK the Altima is front-wheel drive with a trans axially mounted engine (side-to-side). If possible how would this work? How much does a good, used 4 cylinder Frontier engine cost?
the difference is more than likely a cast in mounting point on the block itself or simply different oil pans and pickups. While internally the engines may be the same, I would put my pennies on the oil pan and or the mounting points cast in to the block as the difference.

With that said, I would compare the prices between used and remanufactured and also factor in the warranty. keeping in mind if you intend to sell the truck down the road a potential buyer would probably prefer to hear "it got a remanufactured engine XXX miles ago" over it getting a used engine swapped in. BUT... cost and warranty length would be my determining factor.

With that also said, have you looked at the value of the truck? Is this kind of money worth putting in to it? Or, is your money better spent selling it off and buying a different one? How long do you plan to keep this one?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts