Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and owning a Nissan so I need some advice. I bought and 07 le crew cab with the 4.0L engine from a ford dealer. The truck has 63,000 miles on it and a noticeable whine under the hood that changes with engine rpms. Sounds somewhere between a turbo and an alternator bearing whining or something. The truck has a 3,000 mile power train warranty on it from the dealer. Should this issue be covered under a power train warranty? My plan is to take it to a Nissan dealer to get a quote and then present it to the ford dealership to see if they will fix it. Does this sound like the "Timing chain failure"? Should it be covered? And does getting the Nissan estimate sound like a good idea? I like the truck, it just sucks to buy a used vehicle and face this the first week.

Thanks in advance,
David

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I would check youtube and see if it sounds like the VQ40 secondary timing chain failure videos.

It could be as simple as the belt tensioner which is an easy job.

Ohhh and a quick check would be to remove the serp belt for the system and turn the truck on. If the noise is still there it means it is something internal to the motor which would be the secondary timing chains or the water pump but I have not heard of the pump failing yet so it is probably the chains.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts