Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe im just paranoid because iv read about this happening to a number of people on here, but today i was running some wiring for lights, and i noticed some gunky white/green stuff around the radiator cap. I havent taken the cap off yet to look at it inside, because its still hot.

Is it possible this is a result of the transmission fluid and radiator coolant mixing? the truck is a 2005, with about 97k miles. The transmission isnt shifting horribly, but I still think im going to by-pass the transmission being cooled in the radiator and just use the external cooler. And drain and refill the transmission a few times, and change the coolant.

Any thoughts from anyone on this? am i just over reacting and being paranoid? or any tips from people this has happened to and what you decided to do...

Thanks.
:confused:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ill post back here as soon as its cool enough to take the cap off, but i think its going to look like that...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, good news. The first pic shows the gunk that made me nervous, but the second shows its very clean inside. So idk... I think im still going to bypass the radiator cooler anyways when i get a chance, dont think its worth the risk.

Would a new/aftermarket radiator solve this issue? Iv installed an entire long arm lift on a jeep myself, so i think i change a radiator without much issue. Unless it requires anything special for nissans.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah looks like normal "Radiator Crusties" to me...

Okay, good news. The first pic shows the gunk that made me nervous, but the second shows its very clean inside. So idk... I think im still going to bypass the radiator cooler anyways when i get a chance, dont think its worth the risk.

Would a new/aftermarket radiator solve this issue? Iv installed an entire long arm lift on a jeep myself, so i think i change a radiator without much issue. Unless it requires anything special for nissans.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, im happy about that... my jeep never got 'radiator crusties' haha, so after reading about everyones issue and then stumbling on that, it made me slightly nervous.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
If you are paranoid (which it seems you are) you should probably just do the bypass and replace the radiator caps. Titans seems to have the issue where the radiator cap (not resivour cap) tends to leak and spray coolant over the motor. You may have a slight leak causing coolant build-up and when it gets hot, it starts to "cake".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts