Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been discussed but I am a Newb.

I proudly own a 2013 Pro-4X however I like the clean look and want to remove the decals and badges.

I know how to do it, I have a head gun and some goo gone and ordered a rubber eraser wheel this morning.

What I am concerned about is how badly the paint may be faded compared to the protected paint hidden underneath the badges and decals.

I live in the desert southwest of New Mexico and the truck is outside in the sun daily.

the truck is the light silver color and as I have said it is a 2013, you can see how faded the plastic on the bumper is.

How bad do you think it will be?

any Input would be great!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
i wouldn't remove the pro-4x sticker since it's been a few years now with it on...... may be risky

Reactions: TeknoRacer

·
Registered
91 Posts
I lived in Albuquerque for several years....the sun is brutal. If you remove the decals, the “PRO4 X” will stand out from a mile away. Probably, over a period of years it will fade to match the rest of the paint.
Story short, if you take them off, you no doubt will be replacing them. Just to cover the unfaded paint. I think they come in different color combos so you might find a set that aren’t as obvious.
Btw....I love New Mexico

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I totally get it Rob, but I sure would like to simplify the looks of the truck a bit!
Maybe just take the Frontier off the tailgate first and see how that looks!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Nice Bumper!
Thank you! Good ol' Shrockworks with back up sensors and Rigid LED's..... those LED's.... are a GEM when you are out in the wild with no other light!!!! or if you want to bling anyone while reversing :geek:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah but if it is just the FRONTIER on the tailgate I wont mind too bad and will know how bad it is!
Then I will know for sure if I am going to touch the big decals on the side!
I definitely do not want to see that!
It’ll probably be faded around the frontier letters as well.
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sure this has been discussed but I am a Newb.

I proudly own a 2013 Pro-4X however I like the clean look and want to remove the decals and badges.

I know how to do it, I have a head gun and some goo gone and ordered a rubber eraser wheel this morning.

What I am concerned about is how badly the paint may be faded compared to the protected paint hidden underneath the badges and decals.

I live in the desert southwest of New Mexico and the truck is outside in the sun daily.

the truck is the light silver color and as I have said it is a 2013, you can see how faded the plastic on the bumper is.

How bad do you think it will be?

any Input would be great!
I do have a head gun, but I meant a HEAT Gun for the truck! LOL

·
Registered
958 Posts
If you don't like it, take it off.
If it's faded, buff it out as much as possible.
What fade remains is a whole lot less contrasting than the vinyl lettering.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you don't like it, take it off.
If it's faded, buff it out as much as possible.
What fade remains is a whole lot less contrasting than the vinyl lettering.
I agree.. a nice cut and polish will probably clean it up pretty good to where it’s barely noticeable..

If you’re really wanting to do it, a good place to start is taking it to a reputable detailer in your area and see how confident they are in removing the decals and being able to restore the paint.. if they’re not willing to touch it then maybe reconsider..

I used to detail but I’ve never lived in the SW so I’m not sure how much damage is actually done long-term to vehicles in that region.

Reactions: Krony

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree.. a nice cut and polish will probably clean it up pretty good to where it’s barely noticeable..

If you’re really wanting to do it, a good place to start is taking it to a reputable detailer in your area and see how confident they are in removing the decals and being able to restore the paint.. if they’re not willing to touch it then maybe reconsider..

I used to detail but I’ve never lived in the SW so I’m not sure how much damage is actually done long-term to vehicles in that region.
good advice, thanks!

·
Registered
459 Posts
These plastic bumper pads fade after a year of being in the sun only when driven.

Also agree. I used to detail cars for a living. I removed 4x4 Off Road decals on a black 15-year-old F150. I was able to buff it out to where you couldn't notice it if you were more than 5 feet away. Owner was more than pleased.

Funny you mention pulling decals and badges off. I just added "4x4 Off Road" decals from a Nissan Titan onto my Frontier, and added a "Texas Edition" badge that a friend got me as a joke. I stuck that badge below "SV 4x4" where "Midnight" or "Flex Fuel" would go, so at least it looks OEM-ish.

I will say the OEM decals are very high quality. The 4x4 Off Road decals are plastic-coated foil, not inexpensive single-layer Avery or 3M vinyl that sign shops or eBay sellers use. I'm sure they'll last as long as the truck if waxed at least annually.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These plastic bumper pads fade after a year of being in the sun only when driven.

Also agree. I used to detail cars for a living. I removed 4x4 Off Road decals on a black 15-year-old F150. I was able to buff it out to where you couldn't notice it if you were more than 5 feet away. Owner was more than pleased.

Funny you mention pulling decals and badges off. I just added "4x4 Off Road" decals from a Nissan Titan onto my Frontier, and added a "Texas Edition" badge that a friend got me as a joke. I stuck that badge below "SV 4x4" where "Midnight" or "Flex Fuel" would go, so at least it looks OEM-ish.

I will say the OEM decals are very high quality. The 4x4 Off Road decals are plastic-coated foil, not inexpensive single-layer Avery or 3M vinyl that sign shops or eBay sellers use. I'm sure they'll last as long as the truck if waxed at least annually.
Thanks Guys, not sure what I want to do now?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Pull'em, best thing I did to my P4X. (Mine had the graphics package)

Worst case wet sand and cut and polish your clear coat...may look better overall when you are done.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I don’t think any paint fade would very noticeable on a silver truck. You should be fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts