Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm in Florida and I'm currently in the market for a 4x4 vehicle. I'm considering a Jeep Wrangler, Toyota Tacoma and, last but not least, Frontier Pro4X. The Wranglers are nice, but expensive and limited in function. The Tacomas are also nice and practical, but they're even more expensive and I've been reading about a ton of problems people are having after their re-design for the 2016 model. That leaves me seriously considering a Frontier.

I have a couple of questions. First, do the Frontiers look and feel as dated inside as the auto reviewers make them out to be? To me, dated could also mean that they've had a long time to work out quirks and bugs. Second, since the Frontier is such an old design compared to the Tacoma and the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon, are dealers offering great deals on the Frontiers? What are people paying out-the-door on well-equipped Pro4Xs?

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Out of those three choices I'd go frontier > wrangler > Tacoma.

I have a 2013 and no way it feels outdated, at least to me. It's everything I wanted in a truck. The new tacomas are having a ton of problems right now. The wrangler is badass but doesn't have the room like a truck.

I bought my Frontier CC SV 4X4 for $24k. Toyota wanted an equally equipped Tacoma for $33k... No thanks. The pro4x still goes for a couple grand cheaper then a Tacoma.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, the Tacomas have just gone up so much...From the 16 to the 17 model, the price for exactly the same SR5 build is allegedly jumping $1,300. In one year. And the new TRD Pros are going to be around $43K. Part of the reason I want a midsize truck, other than my sucking at parking, is that I want to pay a midsize price.

The Wranglers really are awesome, but they're more of a toy.

Are dealers giving big discounts on Pro4Xs?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Frontier easily beats price/performance. If I had the money I would get a fully loaded wrangler because I do like them. But at that price they are literally worthless until you throw more money at them. I always wanted a Tacoma, but when I did my research they really do not live up to their price point. So I would ask you to ask yourself. Do you want performance, looks, or usefulness(do you need a bed, crew cab, etc.)

·
Registered
2015 CC SL 4x4 - Lear Cap.
231 Posts
No competition, the 4x blows the other two out of the water, other two can't touch the overall value. Fonty has fully boxed frame, overslung rigid leaf rear sus, dana rear axle, 4 vented disk brakes, steel double wishbone front sus, hill start assist, decent control, VDC, ABLS, EBD, electronic locking diff., bilsteins, nav. 6500 towing, Tried and True 4.0L, goes on and on.. (New) Taco is an expensive piece of plastic that costs alot more. Wrangler really shouldn't be in this race, you should have that on a different list.

I have no issues with the "dated" design, like you said, the quirks are far and few between. I had a cherokee for 13 years, loved that too, but a truck is a truck, although I wish mine had select track, I definitely miss that. Stop wasting time and buy the fonty. Price, well none of the are cheap, do alot of searching. Good hunting.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It depends on what your 4x4 needs are, because I've owned my Wrangler for nine years now and just bought a used 4x4 Frontier a little over a week ago that I'm very happy with and even though my Wrangler is far from stock, I've taken it places back when it was completely stock, that a stock Frontier won't go.
If you don't plan on doing much hardcore wheelin, then I suggest the Frontier. I know having a Wrangler as a daily driver can and will get expensive, because the more you do to them, the worse the gas mileage gets, and nobody buys a Wrangler for the gas mileage. Mine gets 10 to 12mpg. The Frontier is going to be a more comfortable ride for everyday use then the Wrangler, mainly because of solid front axle on the Wranglers.
My wife and I have been happy with the reliability of her Nissan Altima, so the Frontier was one of my choices of trucks when I decided to give the company truck back and go back to being hourly. I made sure I got one with 4x4 so my wife could drive it in the winter durning bad weather and I'll take the Jeep.
I've never owned a Tacoma, so all I can really say about them is...that Toyota is very proud of them, because they are over priced in my opinion.
I'll drive my Frontier most every day, but will take the Wrangler when I get the urge to go off-roading.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
I agree with all above. The Wrangler is a great off-road vehicle, but far from the best choice as a daily driver. The Pentastar V6 is a good engine, but still, don't expect good gas mileage due to the gearing. They can be a bit squirrely on the road due to the short wheel base and build quality is not very good. They are definitely way overpriced considering what you are getting for the money.
The new Tacoma, as mentioned, has had some problems. One thing not mentioned is how uncomfortable the seats are. The Tacoma and 4Runner have always had low, uncomfortable seats that put you in a poor seating position. It's okay for short trips, but you sure don't want to take a long trip in one!
The Frontier is an "old design," but it still looks good and is comfortable. 2011 and later models finally got the "bugs" worked out of them; they aren't prone to the upper timing chain issues, fuel gauge issues nor the radiator internal cooler failure issue. I would opt for the V6 over the I4, as the gas mileage is not that different and the V6 has a lot more power and is more enjoyable to drive (of course, the Pro4x is standard with the V6). Gas mileage isn't "great," but most of the mid-size trucks are in the same range.
We didn't really discuss the current Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon, which is well liked by most of the press. It's a good size, comfortable inside and drives well. The 3.6L-V6 is a good engine. But, like the Tacoma, they do get expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you plan on modifying it at all i would go with the frontier
I had a both a wrangler and a tacoma before. The wrangler if you put a lift kit of anysize and even some oem ones will do what is known as the death wobble at high speed (above 70mph). Tacomas are also pretty nice but the new ones have problems and the old nice ones will cost you more then getting a souped up frontier and some accessories. Plus it has more power then the others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
The wrangler if you put a lift kit of anysize and even some oem ones will do what is known as the death wobble at high speed (above 70mph).

Not true! My Wrangler has a total of 5.25" of lift on 35's and I've never had death wobble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not true! My Wrangler has a total of 5.25" of lift on 35's and I've never had death wobble.

Then you were A lucky and B you had a good lift put in buy a good mechanic or you did it yourself and did a excellent job. Mine i spent 3g on and brought it to my buddies shop and it looked fine but evidently not and all i had was a 6". Either way cuddos. But in fl there are a lot of bad lift shops and im taking this from experience. I live in fl.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Then you were A lucky and B you had a good lift put in buy a good mechanic or you did it yourself and did a excellent job. Mine i spent 3g on and brought it to my buddies shop and it looked fine but evidently not and all i had was a 6". Either way cuddos. But in fl there are a lot of bad lift shops and im taking this from experience. I live in fl.

I have a very cheap used lift kit that I bought off Craigslist and I installed myself (first time I had ever messed with suspension). Death wobble most of the time comes from the track bar being worn out, then maybe tie rod, ball joins or even un balanced tires. I've got lots of friends that have experienced death wobble on stock Jeeps. I just keep a check on all that stuff so I won't experience it. LOL
Finding a good shop that won't rip you off and do good work, is the reason I'll attempt to do some things self.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ya i do most of my stuff myself but suspension and computers arent one and it wasn't the track bar cause i did it within a month of buying it in 2013 and it was brand new when i bought it

Anyways getting back to the topic. Ya frontiers are good and you can find them for a decent price in good shape here in Florida

1 - 13 of 13 Posts