Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Alright guys i am scrathing my head. I have been looking over past post also and now i am confused as can be.
Here is the sit rep

200 Nissan frontier V-6 149K on her..
Getting the faulty knock sensor and multiple misfire...Of course autozone says its knock sensor,

My reading on these forumns tells me that a knock sensor will not throw the code. Am i right?

Here is what happened after reset.
I was driving and switching gears, it feels like a stutter and the check engine light will flash at me while going through gears. Also it will idle down low and thorugh the light. It will come and go, but now it is staying on...

I have done the follwoing but no luck.

OEM spark plugs
Replaced Fuel filter
Replaced the whole distrubitor (mine was melted WTF) and cap
Seafoam thru the tank 2x...

What do you guys think??
I am confused if it is fuel or igntion problems.
Or is autozone correct (chukles) need new knock sensor...

Confused and worn out

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
The knock sensor will cause some, but not all of your issues. I almost think you have a dead cylinder, you can confirm this with a thermal scan of the block, looking for a large varience in temperature. A symptom of this also would be, and I suspect you have this but didn't mention, rough idle and low power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nite,

This thermal scan is that done at a local shop or dealer??

I have a rough idol when it warms up and falls below 1K

The power i dont really have as when its not flashing (check engine light) it gets right up to speed and does fine..

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Local shop can do it, but the handheld units are really affordable and come in handy for many many things, cooling issues, ac issues etc. At speed i believe the harmonic balancer is doing its job and smoothing out the resonance of a weak or dead cylinder. You mentioned your distributer was fried, this is a sign of a bigger problem.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yeah, the fried dist. is not a good sign. I'd try replacing the plug wires, if you havn't already. Pull the plugs and see if they tell you anything. Do a compression test while the plugs are out.
Wouldn't worry too much about the ks code: P0328. It won't set the ses light, btw. You've got other codes set.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hate top ask this, but if the cyclinder is dead does is there a fix for that? Or is it time for a new motor??

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
A dead cylinder is either caused by no fuel or no spark. If you fix the issue, then it is alive again.

You will only need a new motor if the issue is neglected for a while which will cause other parts to fail and you get the picture.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A dead cylinder is either caused by no fuel or no spark. If you fix the issue, then it is alive again.

You will only need a new motor if the issue is neglected for a while which will cause other parts to fail and you get the picture.

Okay, I have an appoitment with the shop Thursday, but i was talking with a person and he said try this...
Let me see if i got it and if its good advice..
He said to remove each spark plug one at time and feel the motor idoling. if it gets way worse, means that eletricl connection (spark, plug, is good) if it stays same shoot your troubles there.
Thats for eletrical..
He was trying to explain fuel issue to be with the injectors,

Not sure if i got it, but he said to disconnect the cap by the injectors to shut them down and looking for same result.

Do these seem like a good start in the mean time?
Thanks for your guys help.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The spark plug trick does work. I have done this on 4 bangers but not on a v6 but the principle is the same. To keep it safe thou, disconnect the plug first, then start and see if the idle changes. Repeat this process until you have found the dead cylinder.

To check for a fuel issue, you can hook up a propane/butane/etc... source to your intake. Start the truck and lightly turn on the gas. If the idle gets better, that means you have a fuel issue that is probably located in your dead cylinder. I would then replace that specific injector or possibly all of them to keep everything new. I also did this on a 4 banger and not a v6 but it should be the same.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
You are correct, the KS will not make the light turn on.... HOWEVER it will throw a code. Thats not your issue though...You probably just need new plugs, cap, rotor and wires... May want a new fuel filter while your at it.... No but really... Probably just a dead plug... Do as they have said and while its running, pull one wire off and see if the idle changes. Do this one at a time until you find the dead one... Also... On the Xterra forum, there have been a sh!t ton of bad injectors coming up. May want to search over at Nissan Xterra Forum: Xterra Forums too

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input. will have to wait to the weekend. I have replaced the Entire distr, cap and spark plugs BUT have not tried the wires.. That will be next after the Spark plug trick. I got mad work tonight so I'll update back here in a few days.
Thanks guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts